13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2013 8:49 AM by shashack RSS

Platinum Arrival Gift question

onedale Platinum 16 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Platinum Arrival Gift question

I checked into The Southfield Mi Marriott,

I had three rooms booked and I asked the lady if each room would receive the 500 points on my rewards number since I was paying for the rooms.

The lady at the desk promised me that I would receive all three for a total of 1500 points.

Upon check out and after posting I only received only 500 points and did not get the credit for the other two rooms.

Does anyone know what the actual Marriott rule is on this?

Should I have received all three or only the one.

I contacted the Southfield Marriott they told me that I was only entitled to one and their person miss spoke.

I wanted a second opinion on this so I am posting here to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Arrival Gift question
    erc Platinum

When I asked a Rewards rep in the fall, they informed me that you only received check-in points for your room. You also only receive elite night credits for your room, but of course (if paying) you receive points for all rooms. But it's probably still best to ask merb to get an 'official' answer because these things have been known to change (as well as different properties sometimes apply the same policy in different fashions).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

At times, I have an extra room and only get the gift for one.  However, if you were told that you would get 1000 more points, I think they should have given them to you to keep a guest happy.  They could have explained that this is not the norm but just a good well gift.

erc Platinum

I totally agree and would like to have thought that they just granted onedale the additional points in the name of goodwill and good faith, but as we often see, common sense isn't so common nowadays. Just last year I had two stays where both rooms got the welcome amenity gift (remember those?). Oh well, whaddaya goin' to do.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

My experience has been one arrival gift (points or previously an actual gift) per Platinum member's occupied room.  I have had the hotel "goof" and provide multiple gifts (actual gifts), but that was a few years ago and only happened once.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Everyplace has been good to me!

onedale Platinum 16 Reviews

They all8wed access to CL with no issues.   This was only one of the issues.  I also participated in the going green program which awards 1000 points per day if you do not request house keeping.   All three of us did this so I should have seen 3000 points per room.  But there was zero credit for it.  Very poor management at this hotel.

erc Platinum

It does appear the property management isn't quite fully on board. You should contact Rewards Customer Service 1-800-321-7396 bypass the robot that answers by saying "agent" twice and then describe your situation to the human (who is 98% of the time pretty competent, if by fluke you get someone who appears confused and struggles, act like something came up and call right back and try again).

You will then be properly credited your points and after explaining to them how they informed you at the front desk about three check in points credits, you might  also be credited those (but since it's policy for only one - no beef w/customer service if not).  Your best chance would have been at the property, where someone with good customer service judgement would have realized that their inexperienced employee misspoke, but just like at well run restaurants where if an employee provides the wrong portion size, they don't take it back off the plate in front of the customer. 10,000 points is a Cat. 2, which when found, is seldom more than $100, so we're talking $10 worth of points (your 1,000 check in points), which would have been a small price to pay for good customer relations (and training) on an error made by the property.

Good luck, keep us posted how you make out.

dejamo Platinum

Well run restaurant  - Marriott ?

JUMBO-shrimp?

The man..........holding the little people down again................................

drchucklesboomboom Platinum 13 Reviews

The Going Green program? Hmm, have not seen points for this before, thanks for sharing! I am up in MI a lot, but have not stayed in Southfield yet. Will have to check this out at other locations. Kinda sucks that they would advertise this "perk" to you, and then pull the rug out from under you (no Green pun intended, haha).

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

When I get an arrival gift (the cheese platter etc-non existent anymore), I would get them for each room in most cases. When I opted for points, they would only be for one room. Breakfasts would be hit or miss. Sometimes I would get them from everyone. Sometimes, just my room.

Policy for both is just for the room the Plat person occupies.

dejamo Platinum

Policy - v- Reality

The policy is....................(ahemm)....................(excuse me while I gag)....................The reality is...........................it is up to the individual hotels apparently as to what they want to do.

The only thing consistent anymore, over the past 2 years (longer in a lot of areas), is inconsistency,  so you can inconsistently be guaranteed to be consistently disappointed.

Whew......................how confusing is that ?

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I don't know if my response will rub others in the wroing way, but here goes.

THINGS CHANGE and PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES (at least I do!)

I used to enjoy a hot breakfast on the 90 minute flight LAX to SLC.  I remember the disappointment when all that was offered was a "bistro bag."  (oh to be offered that now).

We used to have a few hundred Marriott properties to choose from.  Now, thousands - many in spetacular settings.  Some of the perks have improved - the Chase Marriott credit cards - allowing us to earn a LOT of points and for some the  benefit of earning Elite Qualifying Nights.  Some of the perkes have faded away.

Things change.

As far as I am personally concerned, Marriott and the Marriott Rewards program have gotten better over the years that I have been in the program.

I thank Marriott for being very consistent (yes, there are some inconsistencies) and always, when I see the Marriott name being a place I feel confortable and at home - away from home.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...