7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2013 10:29 PM by anadyr RSS

The third rail?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does the political leaning of a corporation change the way you perceive that corporation or make you not want to engage in commerce with them?

I notice (and no names here, so fill in your own names) that some major corporations, both within and outside the hospitality business, take political stands and lend their name and support to political programs. We live in a divided (some might say hopelessly so) nation, so taking a side on a hot button issue is bound to alienate perhaps half of the customer universe.

Does this matter to you?  Does it color your opinion of a corporation?

Just wondering.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Alaska, USA
  • Re: The third rail?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Yes, absolutely yes, for me!

I wish companies would keep their politics out of their public perception.  Likewise, I wish Hollywood and entertainers would do the same.

I have reached a point that the "Decisiveness" effects everyday decisions of many of us.

Good post!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I love freedom of choice Jerry and hope that is never taken away from us.  The ability to shun or not shun is a corollary to that.  I too exercise my judgment based on the coloration of a corporation's political views (if known), regardless of their leftness or rightness.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Since Most companies are smart enough to leave their politics out of the public eye, we are spared the decision-making process you are suggesting.  Therefore, for the few companies that do wear their politics on their sleeve, I judge them on the product/service I am looking for and make my decision accordingly.  What's next?  Choosing an establishment based on the Religious affiliation of the CEO????

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Answer:  Yes, the political leanings of anything or anybody (if I know them) affect my relationship with that party.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Most of the time I don't give it much thought especially, as shoeman1000 says, when it is out of the public eye. I support businesses that provide quality goods and services. When politics becomes more important than serving the customer (or I suppose the shareholders), it might be time to take my business elsewhere.

I suspect many companies I patronize support causes I don't believe in. We'd all find it hard to do the things we enjoy if we just supported only like-minded companies. It's good to know where a company stands, but I don't believe it will ever be the primary factor most consumers consider.

In this age of hyper-partisanship, the heads of large corporations would be foolish to lean too far one way or another and risk alienating a large portion of their potential customers.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very well put.  I agree.

I think there is a self-regulation mechanism at work here, where being too much on one side of an issue or another tends to be felt in the Boardroom and then at the Shareholders Meeting and then in a change of command.  However, I do scour the internet for obscure interviews with CEOs to determine if there is a bias one way or another in what they think as opposed to what they say publicly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...