34 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2013 6:43 PM by iahflyr RSS

Pan American Airline

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Ah yes the good old days:

Remember when:  Courtesy of a retired officer on Pan Am

everythingPanAm - Mozilla Firefox 11272013 22911 PM.bmp.jpgeverythingPanAm - Mozilla Firefox 11272013 22911 PM.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
  • Re: Pan American Airline
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Great stuff anadyr!  Thanks for sharing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Even greater flying experience kharada46!

Indeed!  Would have loved that private suite for my recent trip to the continent!

I have more but don't want to saturate MRI with them.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Please saturate MI with them all!!!!

Love the history lessons you give us so don't stop now.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I flew PanAm quite a bit in the 70's to South America.  For me , it was like a lost love.  You never knew what you had until it was gone…...

Of course, virtually ALL first class experiences on any airline were pretty special back then….

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Did you know that Pan Am was the first airline in America to fly to another country?

BTW,  I met Frank Borman at The Space Center, he was a wonderful guy. 

Do you know where?

Scroll down, and I will share with you!

Key West to Havana!  It's on a plaque in Key West, near the port!

Ah, Commander Frank Borman of Apollo 8.  Had nausea issues shortly after launch and upon splash down, but commanded the first manned mission to the moon! 

Yes I did know that, I have a poster from Cuba showing a Pan Am plane coming into the airport--very Art Deco

Frank Borman, an Apollo guy as I recall?

anadyr,

I got a little "Mixed-up"!  Frank B., was head of Eastern Airlines. Will check out the facts!

No problem, the name to remember is Juan Trippe, that's for sure.

anadyr,

Yes, it was Eastern Airlines, and Frank was on Gemini 7, and Apollo 8.  Saw him at the 25th Anniversary of both Gemini and Apollo Programs at Kennedy Space Center.  Wonderful events:

PTDC0042.JPG

Thats John Denver singing with Alan Shepherd and other members of The Apollo Program on stage.  Frank Borman was there but not in this photo.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I remember flying non-stop from Sydney to San Francisco on Pan Am in 1977. Maybe not the good old days of the above ad, but at the time, the longest non-stop flight in the world.

bejacob,

Wow,  that had to be some kind of "Ride"!  Very memorable, for sure!

I recently saw "Longest non-stop flights", but don't remember them, but this has been replaced.  (I Think)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I think the longest flight now is on Qantas from Sydney to Dallas now that the Newark to Singapore route has been discontinued. Sydney to San Francisco wouldn't even crack the top ten today.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I don't remember the year, but my wife and I flew Pan Am to Barbados.  We were scheduled to fly Pan Am back, but the airline went out of business during our trip.  I think our travel agent re-booked us on Eastern Airlines.

Yes-- good old Pan Am left us in stages, they merged with National, then sold off some routes to United, and eventually disappeared.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Great post.  Informative and enjoyable!  Thanks.

Thanks

Excellent Wikipedia article on long-haul flights, both current and discontinued at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stop_flight .  Also, listed as the longest flight from Hong Kong to London: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/10/business/11air.html?_r=0 at almost 23 hours - yikes!

And most of them are polar too.

lakersfan,

Today 12/2, WSJ reported that Qantas and Emirates are working together to initiate a SYD-LHR flight on 1/5/14 that takes 27 1/2 hours for $1400!  You also could take the China Southern Airlines with a stop in Guangzhou, China in only 35 hours!

Wow, what fun!

10,573 miles or $0.132 per mile.  But...27 hours.  How many meals will be served?  I don't think that I could do this without some strong...medication - medication, yes, that's the word that I want to use.

lakersfan,

You are probably right!  You would need a lot of "Medication".  You will need to consult my "Pharmacist" IAHFLYR!

He seems to know as much as I about this subject!

I like getting elevated to being the pharmacist for jerrycoin and any others requiring "Meds"!

Now for the 27 hour flight......no way any commercial aircraft is in the air for that length of time without a fuel stop, not unless they are taking out all the seats and putting in extra fuel cells.  But I'll have to defer to the Insider Head of Aviation (kharada46) to have him run some numbers on just how long the beast can remain aloft!

Maybe it is this one?

That is it......saw it pulled up to Gate D3 yesterday at PDX!

How could you see it?

Remember who I used to work for, we saw things no one else could!

The 27 hour flight does seem to be beyond aircraft capability.  Wikipedia shows a 22 hour, 22 minute (yes, got to count the minutes) in 2005 on a 777-200ER from Hong Kong to London.  The aircraft was only carrying 27 people.

Even longer flights aparently happened in the 40's by piston engine aircraft.

From Wikipedia: "...from 1943 to 1945 Qantas operated a weekly return flight from Western Australia to Sri Lanka with flight times 28-33 h. This was called The Double Sunrise service. The aircraft used was the Consolidated PBY Catalina.:

28 hours of piston aircraft vibration must have required a lot of medication!

LOL.....just think how much oil a piston aircraft could burn during a 28 hour flight.  When I was working as a lineman at FMY between high school and my freshman year of college, Florida Airlines would fly DC-3's from FMY to SRQ, TPA and some other spots in Florida.  I'll never forget they had this one crusty ole Captain who would tell us to "fill the oil and check the gas".

lakesfan,

Yes, my favorite subject!

According to my buddy, IAHFLYR!

IAHFLYR,

lakersfan is right.  I don't see how such a flight could be operated by any current commercial jet.  Are they going to carry 10 people in a 788 with extra fuel tanks in the cargo holds?  Perhaps 27hrs includes a fuel stop or a connecting flight?  Perhaps Sydney to Dubai to London?  All on A380s?  Let's see what happens!  From what I understand, this route has long been problematic in terms if profitability.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...