19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2013 11:53 AM by californian RSS

Applying for TSA PreCheck

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So, I noticed that Southwest Airlines is starting to offer TSA PreCheck at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. I Googled TSA PreCheck and everything that I could find pointed me to the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES). I noticed that the site makes no mention of TSA PreCheck so I checked Google again. Still, only find references to GOES. Remembering this is a government run website, I thought maybe if I started the Global Entry process it would mention the PreCheck. I went all the way through the Global Entry process and never found anything referring to PreCheck. Can anybody point me in the right direction to signup for TSA PreCheck?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Applying for TSA PreCheck
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Curiousone,

While I have heard that there will be relaxation of the rules, it has been up to this point at the discretion of airlines.  I was told about pre-check many times before I could actually use it (when they started applying it to int'l flights).  But I couldn't sign up -- it turned out Delta had signed me up, which is the way I understand the program has worked to this points. Various airlines identified their FFs and signed us on, especially if we filled the online profiles with our data (like passport numbers, addresses, etc).

So it may be either that you have to wait or can call Southwest if you're a FF. All mine now appear right on my boarding pass, so it is a breeze once they've cleared you (except coming home from abroad).

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hi curiousone I would like to add to the professor's post regarding TSA pre-check. If you have been qualified for Global Entry for overseas travel, you are automatically on the TSA pre-check list even though they are not ran by the same government entity (at least that is what the GOES agent told me when I was at my interview for Global Entry. I actually already had TSA pre-check however, since I am platinum ff member with American. Yes, it was offered to me when I filled out all of the information in my profile on AA site regarding passport number, addresses mentioned above.

Hope this helps. You can get it one of two ways and possibly another if you talk with your FF program and request it. It was automatic with me and it sounds as if it was with the professor as well. Good luck.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

curiousone,

If your a Global Entry member you will then be eligible for TSA Precheck as long as the airline you are flying on is participating in the program.  The Global Entry enrollment fee is $100 and is good for 5 years.  The additional perk that comes with Global Entry is that when you return to the United States from foreign travel you can bypass the customs lines by having your passport and fingerprints scanned at a Global Entry kiosk.

The TSA does have plans to offer offer TSA Precheck to all individuals in the near future with the first enrollment centers being at Washington Dulles Airport and Indianapolis Airport.  The enrollment fee will be $85 and is valid for 5 years.  According to their website it will be "available soon".  http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-precheck-application-process

Even if you do very little international traveling I would recommend signing up for the Global Entry program.  The additional costs is only $15 and you can start taking advantage of the TSA Precheck right away.  I got to use my Global Entry this past weekend for the first time when I flew into Dulles from Toronto.  It was so nice being able to bypass the long customs line and use the kiosk instead.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

vaboywnder,

You are absolutely correct in your reply. 

If your airline does not support Pre-Check regardless of your Global Entry status you will not be offered Pre-Check, likewise if the airport you are flying from doesn't have Pre-Check, then of course no one gets the advantage.

Both profchiara and madmax make excellent points, if your airline of choice does offer Pre-Check then you must also add your Global Entry ID into your online FF program and then it is all up to the airline if they decide to offer Pre-Check to you which most of them will.  If you don't attach your information you probably will not get Pre-Check.

There are just so many rules and ever changing programs that it's hard to keep up with all the requirements.  When the Pre-Check program started it was only offered to those in the top tier of an airlines FF program, it's been relaxed some now and I cannot wait to see if I retain it next year when I lose my higher end status with UA.

Actually, I'm not Global Entry, as much as I would like to be.  But it would mean a full day of about 8 hours of bus or car travel to Boston to do the interview, which would kill me considering my health. Some have told me just to do it before an international flight, but that too doesn't work because I have a 2 hour drive to Portland and a 2 hour ride to Logan, almost always after my classes, so I just can't schedule an interview.

But Delta made me TSA Pre-Check, without my doing anything -- no doubt about it.

Profchiara

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Agree with all good points made by everyone.  Additionally, though I have an FF# with Delta Airlines, I have no status, but by having my global entry # entered into my Delta profile, everyone booked on my Delta reservation received TSA pre-check on our flight two days ago.  What a nice surprise that was, and of course I was quite grateful and happy for it, especially considering the loong TSA lines during holiday travel.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

This happened to me as well when travelling from Orlando airport back home. I had entered my passport info long before my husband and I left on vacation as I travel for business so much and try to take advantage of TSA entry when I can.  Little did I know when we checked in for our flights home from Orlando, they sent both me and my husband through TSA line. What a blessing that was as the airport was super busy Labor Day weekend. I guess if the person whose name the tics are booked under is elligible, all are. Pretty nice I must say and if I had not already gotten Global Entry I would gladly pay the $85 for TSA pre check.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have GE and thus get pre-check.  The Orlando airport is one of the worst for security.  There was one person ahead of me in the pre-check line.  Wow!  Then I blew it, I looked at the signs as to what was offered in each terminal and saw Starbucks in the other terminal and went on that train, got my coffee and returned expecting to go to my terminal.  Big surprise, I was out side security and had to finish my coffee and then go through again.  This time the line was longer.  A family stopped up the line.  The adults had pre-check but the adult kids did not and the parents insisted that they all should be allowed.  They had to call a supervisor to tell them the same thing.  This caused a backup.

curiousone Platinum

Wow, I am surprised at all the replies. I thought this question would get 1 or 2 responses and then stop. Thanks everybody for your response. I did go ahead and sign-up for Global Entry, since it was only $15 more and figuring that it would probably work in the PreCheck line. What really amazed me was that the earliest interview date I could get in Phoenix is Feb. 5, 2014! It looks like a lot of us are trying to bypass the security lines.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

yes it takes a long time curiousone. I applied in July and couldn't get an appt. until November. I missed two trips overseas before my interview. However, I got my ID card in the mail a couple of days ago and went online to activate it so I am ready next trip to the airport. What was so funny was at my appt. the agent asked me to take off my glasses when he took my picture. I figured glare and all you know. When I got my card, there were lines painted around my eyes like glasses...it was hilarious!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

One more point on the TSA PreCheck....

In the last two months, I flew in and out of airports that did not have the short line, yet. What they did do for folks that had the PreCheck on their boarding passes was allow you to keep your shoes, belt and light jacket on through security. We still had to remove liquids from our bags. We were given a laminated orange card to show the agents at the xray machine.

Hi Painedplatinum,

I too have been through smaller airports planning to have pre-check, but what I had was different.  In Portland they made me take my coat off but not my liquids or computer out. I got to leave my shoes in, which was important once it gets cold up here.  I went through the FF line, then was given a big sign to show to hold up to security that said I was TSA pre-check.  Pretty funny.

Prof,

That is funny. I understood the idea of belt, coat and shoes since the xray people knew I was Precheck because of the orange laminated card (5x7 ish). I wonder how they knew which suitcases were PreCheck and therefore allowed to contain liquids and laptops?

My card was bigger than your card (wait that sounded way wrong!), I think was yellow, and my best guess about the suitcase and my large tote was that the Elite line was so small at PWM that I was the only one going through at the time.  I'm flying from PWM next week so we'll see if it's changed.  And I will duly note the size and color of my sign if they're still using them so that I don't come across as a prima donna with a big sign !!!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

This is good information to know. I travel through alot of airports that don't have a designated line so this will help me know there is hope in not having to go through all the motions as if I was a regular traveller...

Just kidding. I am very thankful that there is security measures in place to keep us all safe.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Exactly how it is at my little home airport, Pained, and I'll take it!  Additionally, I get to go through the metal detector and not the X-ray.

pluto,

I believe I was waved through the metal detector also...I forgot about that.  We'll take our small wins when we can get them, won't we?

Me too, so that's definitely part of what they're doing.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

In the past two or three months, my wife and I have both gotten the TSA PreCheck printed out on our boarding passes. In the smaller airports without a designated TSA PreCheck line, we have been given a color coded card to take through the metal detector and we can leave all articles of clothing on (including shoes) and don't have to take laptops or IPads  or liquids out of the bag.

In the bigger airports, there has been a designated line for the PreCheck folks. Nice! In Tampa, they actually called over two agents to open up the PreCheck line just for us! But...PreCheck does nothing for anyone going through customs. There one must have the Global Entry to enter without the aggravation of Customs.

Happy Travels!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...