4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2013 11:34 PM by kharada46 RSS

Our favorite souvenir from Maui

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

pineapples.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kahului, Hawaii, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport
  • Re: Our favorite souvenir from Maui

We could not wait to start eating our pineapple.

pineapple slices.jpg

We learned that you need to twist off the top of the pineapple and store the pineapple upside down in the refrigerator so that the juices can redistribute themselves throughout the pineapple before cutting.  We also learned that those of you on the West Coast can probably find Maui Gold pineapples in your stores.  Most of them remain in the state of Hawaii.  The rest of us must visit Maui or another island to try them.    They are not as acidic as the pineapples from Costa Rica which are found in mainland grocery stores.  Maui Gold pineapples are 85-90% sugar and only 10-15% acid.  That way you can eat more of it without your mouth and tongue hurting. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

razorbackfan,

Are you in Maui?  How you liking the Courtyard?  Will be staying next August!  You should save the top as you can propagate a new plant with it  

There are sweeter varieties throughout the state too though.  If you make it to Oahu, Frankie's Nursery has a proprietary breed that's supposed to be even sweeter.  So protected is their breed that they sell it without the crown so that you can't grow it yourself.  I've never seen it, but there's also a variety known as Hilo Sugarloaf that has so little acid that the flesh is white and very sweet! 

Aloha, Kharada.  Unfortunately, we had to return home.  We spent 3 nights at the Courtyard and really liked it.  Our first stay there was last February so we knew it was a nice place to stay.  The employees are terrific!  Plus, we were able to use 2 of our free night certificates.  I'll be writing a review soon.  We also spent 3 nights at the Kauai Marriott Resort and I'll be writing that review, too.

Our flights connected in Oahu, but we didn't have time to leave the airport.  Those acidless pineapples sound interesting.  I'll have to check them out next time we visit.  I'd like to try to grow one; however, since it takes a couple of YEARS, I would probably lose interest.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...