32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2015 2:39 PM by jm1991 RSS

Look No Further Guarantee Really Works

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was looking for a deal tonight ($120 or less) on a hotel in the Fairfax, VA area for one weekday night in early December.  As most folks who travel in this area knows that weekday rates are usually high in Northern VA and weekend rates are very cheap.  Since I was striking out on Marriott's website for a deal I decided to see what kind of results I could get from Google's Hotel Rate Finder (http://google.com/hotels ).

After using the Google Hotel Tool I found a deal which was on the website " getaroom.com " for Spring Hill Suites in Fairfax for $84.45 and the Marriott website listed the same room at $149.  I then decided to give the "Look No Further Guarantee" a try and followed the instructions from the website:  https://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices/travel.mi

I made my reservation at Marriott.Com at the higher rate of $149 and then filled out the online claim form at 1:10am thinking I may hear something back the next business day.  In less than 15min after submitting the claim I received a response back at 1:24am stating my claim has been approved and that the rate on my reservation has been updated to $63.33 which includes a 25% additional discount for submitting a successful claim.  I was really surprised how quick and easy this was.  Thank you Marriott!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fairfax, Virginia, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks
  • Re: Look No Further Guarantee Really Works
    erc Platinum

Congratulations. That's actually a night where the AAA rate is $10 higher than the regular rate (which is always one of my pet peeves, why offer a AAA rate higher than regular rate if for no other reason than to get us to accidentally book the wrong rate?), so it's poetic justice that you got the extra savings.

Your call whether you want to keep the site's name secret or not for your future use. Marriott smacks them if they get too many claims. But either way, congratulations on your victory vs. THE MATRIX and thanks for sharing, we all love when a teammate 'goes yard with a moon shot' .  Happy Thanksgiving

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

There are 2 long threads in the Marriott forum on Flyertalk, one where people post their success (although they don't publicly list the source so Marriott doesn't smack them down as erc said) & one where people can post their request for help in trying to find a LNF for a stay they might have coming up.  So for those who want more info on LNF they could check those threads.

Cheers.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Thanks for sharing this experience.  My question is why does the customer have to do the research to claim the lowest rate guarantee?   Shouldn't Marriott have a search engine that would perform this function and process the guarantee automatically?   I know. and if pigs could fly ......

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Great, Scott!!! 

I guess one pretty much has to find the better rates first and then book in order to get the guarantee in most cases since the rules are really hard to just happen upon within the time frame.

You really got a coup de gras.

I guess I really have to thank Google for this one.  If it wasn't for their hotel search tool (http://www.google.com/hotels ) which searches multiple websites for hotel pricing I would have never found the website ( http://www.getaroom.com ) which had the lower price.

I think Marriott is trying hard to keep their site pricing in check.  It's nice they give you an extra 25% off for finding a better deal. 

erc Platinum

It's nice, but of course not because they are being nice - they go to the site (who they sell inventory to) and 'have a chat', so in effect Marriott is paying a bounty for outliers (which we are of course glad to accept). Be careful on your roads today - 81/29 could be nasty.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Can't resist this (sorry) - It's only going to reach 75 degrees today and will be suffering 50's this eve in SoCal - BUT the roads are dry

erc Platinum

Ok, ok wiseguy. I'm heading out to Dulles right after this post, but as vaboy will tell you, we have better estate taxes laws (or pick any tax ).

Vaboy, not to steal your thread - back to pain's question about points. You guys are now entering an ever so brief

erc-free zone, so be nice. Oops, already answered - great deal, enjoy.

What will do without erc????  Happy Thanksgiving man and safe Travels!

I hope you didn't have any problems, erc.

At least, you were beating the rush.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

vaboy,

As far as you know, will this room count as a "stay" and will the rate earn MR points?  Just curious having never used the LNF rate claim sheet.

pained,

Yes it will count as a stay and earn points. To make a LNF claim you have to first make a reservation through Marriott at their lowest normal rate posted.  Afterwards you fill out the online claim form: https://www.marriott.com/look/claimForm.mi

If your claim is approved Marriott will update the rate on the reservation you booked.  Here is a screen shot of mine:

LNF.JPG

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Got it, thanks.  So, if a person books thru a third party, no points. If a person finds a better third party deal...book the room thru the Marriott site and submit a claim.... then all is legit once approved. Good to know.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Kerching!   It finally clicked how to get the best of both worlds.  Low rates via third party and points and night credit!

What is even better is that Marriott will beat the 3rd party rate by another 25%! 

Yeah.  I think a lot of us just didn't know how to work it.  I'd found lower 3rd party rates before and then tried to get them with Marriott through the rate guar.  I'd been told that they bought them up a lot earlier and they didn't count.  Now we know.

Thanks, Scott.

eb5147,

Yeah I had never bothered trying to get Marriott to match a 3rd party rate before but glad I did this time.  This stay will be a Christmas Shopping trip for me.  It will be nice to have the extra $$ to shop with. 

That is nice, vaboywnder.

Are clothes still tax free in VA as they were for me in '89 or so, or was that a special tax holiday for back to school that included clothes? 

eb5147,

Virginia still does the tax free holiday weekend for clothes and school supplies each year...but it is only on that special weekend.  Our normal sales tax rate is 5.3 percent.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am impressed.  It gives the impression when the guarantee is offered that they know that you will not find a better rate.  You proved that theory wrong.

anotherhotel Member

That theory is correct....typical!. Or they have so much fine print that they can refuse to pay up for a number of reasons. I found a lower rate. Called and tried to get it. Told them of the guarantee and rate I had. Went to website and tried to file claim but refused. Will never stay in a marriott hotel EVER again!

project_a Silver

I have booked a hotel for 2 nights stay in NY for $179 each from the Marriott website and then found a lower price on the Expedia for only $149 for the same room style, rules  and restrictions.  When I contacted Marriott customer care with the claim form, they simply wrote an auto generated email denying the claim. I replied to Mr. Matthew Acker, the customer care representative and provided the proof, including a screen capture and a live link and  waiting for an update. I will post again with updates. Too sad to see the customer care simply responds with auto generated message.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i just submitted a claim for the San jose marriott 1 night 9/19  rate booked at marriott.com for regular king room was 103 leisure rate and found a 100.09 rate on getaroom.com but i dont know if it will be approved. i think the rooms are the same. keeping my fingers crossed.

http://www.getaroom.com/hotels/san-jose-marriott-downtown?check_in=09%2F19%2F2014&check_out=09%2F20%2F2014&rinfo=%5B%5B18%2C18%5D%5D

i found a site hotelscombined.com that showed me the prices.

jm1991,

Thanks for sharing.  Let us know how you come out!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

I recently found a lower advertised rate and submitted a claim. The Marriott claim depeartment came back at me and said with the tax it came to the same price as Marriott's so I didn't get the discount

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i got a denial they said the price could not be found and there was no proof it had ever been up. Even after i got the letter i went to double check and it was still up. i rather not bother, 103 is a pretty low price anyways.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Tried my luck again yesterday. Booked a City view high floor room for 189 on marriott. I went on Hotelscombined.com and saw a lower rate for the same type of room on booking.com for 139. filled out the form and this morning i received this message

We have reviewed your claim and have made the following modification to your reservation:

Rate:  $104.25

Reservation Confirmation Number:  xxxxx

The room rate listed above reflects your nightly room rate, before tax, and an additional 25% discount for submitting a successful claim according to the terms of Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

on the claim form i put for website : booking.com

on message i pasted the direct link to it.

jm1991,

That's great.  I'm glad LNF worked out for you this time.  I've only had the one opportunity in which I was able to find the lower price on a 3rd party site.

williston Platinum

IIt does work but the terms me conditions are complicated. I often find cheaper rates elsewhere but get refused because the company offering the better rate issues a voucher

Platinum 28 Reviews

"FIND A LOWER PRICE AND WE WILL MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU ANOTHER XX% OFF"

That sales gimmick has been around since the "dawn of time" - THE CAVEAT: as mentioned by williston, you must follow THEIR rules.  You must be a policeman.  You must spend the time doing research.

How many of us "road warriors" have the time to try and catch a company not living up to their claim?  I would assume few. 

CONCLUSION:  Company offering the guarantee earns more than they would have without the offer.  (not a bad deal for Marriott).

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Found a room for the san jose marriott for the fanime convention at 339  and submitted a claim form for a rate I found online using the previous website for 337 and now my rate is 252. Quite frankly I find that marriott makes this very easy to honor. :/ any discount is good for that convention given they had no other rates or discounts available

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...