1 2 3 12 Previous Next 177 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2016 6:48 PM by bejacob RSS

50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The 50 Weirdest Things to See in All 50 States - AOL On

Ok, Insiders, let's see if we as a group can fill in all of the states.

I've seen Va., Md., SC, NJ, and Ky.

The maze is at the Dole Plantation - merb and kharada46 we're counting on you.

The Santa Clause house in Alaska is in North Pole, that might be a stumper.

Viewing tip: keep your mouse near the pause button, some of the states go by pretty quickly.

Happy Trails and good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

erc,

Clearly I need to see more of the 50 Weirdest Sites….

I can offer up:

Space Center - Huntsville, AL (interesting)

South of the Border - Dillon, SC (over the top commercial, but the kids like it)

Underground Lake - Sweetwater, TN (my favorite of the three)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    erc Platinum

That's great, we're off to a good start. jerrycoin probably has photos of at least four more .

razorbackfan  been in that Arkansas cavern?

curiousone  seen The Thing? It's apparently Arizona's answer to South of the Border with all the billboards

anadyr, pluto77    californian    driven by Salvation Mountain? (I actually saw a tv show on this and the Salton Sea)

Ok, seven states and counting. Keep 'em coming.

• 3. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

No, I have never been to the Cosmic Cavern.  It is located in Berryville, Arkansas which is located half-way between Branson, MO and Eureka Springs, AR.  I have been in that part of the state many, many times, but I don't recall even hearing about it. 

I have been to the Dole Plantation on Oahu; however, I have never been in the maze.  I have eaten their pineapple whip which I really like--does that count? 

I have been to the biggest bat in the state of Kentucky.  In fact, I bought a bat from the Louisville Slugger plant that met the specifications of my dad's bat when he had a contract with them.  If you go to see the bat, make sure you go to the museum, too. 

• 4. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    erc Platinum

I went to that Dole Plantation also, but I don't even remember hearing of the maze (perhaps it's recent). Yeah, Louisville Slugger (H & B), museum and Jim Beam Distillery makes for a good day in and around Louisville (although, I made the mistake of smelling the mash - it almost knocked me out).

I was thinking that Louisiana mural must have been in New Orleans, but I didn't see it or even hear anyone talking about it.

Thanks for sharing.

painedplatinum  have you been to that roller coaster (I think it's in Altoona) ?

nuhusker  been out to Carhenge?

• 5. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

The mural is located in downtown Shreveport.  According to online information it is located on the north side of Cotton Street between Marshall and McNeil.  It also noted that the 14-Story Mural, the Largest in the USA is

titled "Once in a Millinneium Moon," the mural covers 30,000 square feet, two entire outside walls of a 14-story building. It was a project for Year 2000. The mural contains 19 people and 40 objects, capturing the people of Shreveport, their treasures, triumphs, tragedies. There is a viewing station with a paint-by- number grid that describes each. Many artists worked on this project, some who hung off the side of the building for months.  It reportedly took 2 years to paint it.
    We go through downtown Shreveport when we go to Arkansas so we will have to make a detour to see the mural.
    erc, I enjoy seeing off the beaten path things like this when we travel.  Thanks for this post.

• 6. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    erc Platinum

Good info razorbackfan, thanks. Ok, time to call in the cavalry;

stelzer001  bpelican - been to Lockport to see the upside down bridge or into neighboring Connecticut  for Dinosaur State Park?

eb5147  - any of your southern travels take you by some of these 'landmarks'

lakersfan & bejacob - certainly with your guys' attention to detail, you've knocked off a few of these, correct?

profchiara - no doubt you've been through the Sahara, made it out to the Desert of Maine in your home state?

anadyr and tef6178 - you guys ever venture up to Rockport Ma. and see the paperhouse?

shashack     ever taken a drive (about 600 miles from the riverwalk ) to Amarillo to see the Cadillac Ranch (or eat the Big Texan, 72 ounce steak)?

The specified item was not found. and merb - How about that Oregon Vortex, that sounds right up some Portlanders alley

tryt53  any help on the troll?

misterchk  & IAHFLYR - ok bon vivants, chip in with some good stuff

trippin' - get to Detroit and see the Heidelberg project?

sg1974 & chrisf  you Brits put many of us Americans to shame, don't be afraid to admit you cross the pond to see that big ball of twine

vaboywnder  live up to your name, knock off a few of these (I know you party at that Land of Giants across the border )

Of course, not limited to your home states -  Help fill in the blanks gang.

• 7. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've been to South of the Border and seen the Cadillac Ranch close to Lubbock, but that was in '66.  They were buried in a circle and didn't have the ugly graffiti on them.

As far as why they would choose South of the Border, l have no idea.  As 77paris said, it's just too commercial and a cheaply done amusement park.

To me, the giant, silver fire plug in front of "Tunnelvision" in Columbia, SC is much more unusual and "Tunnelvision" by Blue Sky is a must see anyway.

http://blueskyart.com/gallery.php?artwork=art_4cb46a2e425d0&name=busted_plug_plaza

http://blueskyart.com/gallery.php?artwork=art_4c8d60268dcf7&name=tunnelvision

• 8. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    erc Platinum

Thanks eb. You go to South of the Border because, "it chile today, hot tamale" .

Ooh, just thought of another helper, madmax  ever swing by the creepy Blue Whale?

• 9. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US

That's what the billboards say, but not usually that "chili".  So many billboards with all kinds of cutsey things on them.  A fortune spent on advertising. 

• 10. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    erc Platinum

Great links to the hydrant and tunnelvision - thanks.

Yeah, miles and miles of corny billboards, "You never sausage a place" and "you're always a wiener". It (and fireworks and firecrackers) draws them in.

fschumpert  you've been all over the place, seen any of these places? Thanks

• 11. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US

This is my favorite Blue Sky mural.  It's in Camden, SC on the side of a bank.

http://blueskyart.com/gallery.php?artwork=art_4fc2fac41c6c8&name=incident_at_the_kirkwood_inn

A fox is peering from the hedge before the fox hunt.  The last time I saw it, I didn't see the fox, though.  I think someone may have painted over him.

• 12. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    erc Platinum

That's a fascinating link. Thanks for sharing.

Oh man, I forgot my good pal, photographer extraordinaire ssindc, say hey, you snapped any pictures at any of these places?

Ok, a great day of college football is over (except for Boise St. and as pluto knows us easterners don't watch that blue turf game ). So, I'll check back in the morning. Good night all.

• 13. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US

Also, I think the Corn Palace should have been in the places for NE.  The design changes yearly and the corn is grown locally for all the different colors.  It's a community project and as one site mentions, it's other nickname is "The World's Largest Bird Feeder".

http://www.yelp.com/biz/corn-palace-mitchell?nb=1

• 14. Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

0 for 50 in the photo department, although I have to admit I've seen some of 'em....  remarkable, and bizarre..

1 2 3 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...