9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2013 11:29 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Storm stories?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I hate to sound like the Weather Channel, but here I am ensconced in my apartment as they used to say (for no reason I can now see) snug as a bug in a rug with my kitty.  We didn't get that much rain or wind in Maine (I think the storm took a turn east after Boston/Cape Cod), and the hourly forecast is for what little we have to end by this evening.  It is, however, bizarrely warm, though that won't last.

I'm staying in for Thanksgiving -- football and turkey for me and my cat tomorrow (she's not as interested in football as her predecessor cat, but does love the turkey part.  As soon as she smells onions and celery cooking and the turkey start to cook, she starts running around in circles meowing at me. 

But I'm sure some of you have experienced significant storm stories.  I hope you all get or got to your destinations, but were there any interesting highlights on the way?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!rm

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Storm stories?

PS - the rm after all! happened when I was typing in the tags and somehow part of storms got transferred. I noticed the glitch but didn't see it till after. But maybe it could be rm #?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

This year ended up good weather for us as the ice storm we had earlier in the week has all disappeared. I did once encounter an ice storm during Christmas. That morning I wanted so badly to go to my parents (patriarch and matriarch of the brood)  where we all gathered for Thanksgiving and Christmas each year, but I knew we had no business getting out on the roads. My parents lived an hour away but we were younger then (and not as smart??) so started out on the adventure of a lifetime. I-40 was cleared off to one lane just enough to pass through but the other roads were all very treacherous. All the telephone lines and tree limbs were weighted down with at least 1-2" thick ice. When we finally (3 hours instead of 1) got to mom and dads, they had no electricity. That's when all became clear as to why we made the trip. Everyone sat in the dark with candles lit and the turkey cooking on top of the wood burning stove. We ate on paper plates and drank out of plastic cups. When I left my house, I thought we would be lucky to make it home alive or at least without majorly denting up our vehicle. When I got home, I had one of the most memorable Christmases I will ever have. Mom and Dad are gone now, but we still have my father-in-law so I have all of my husband's family (all 35-40 of us) over to the "Mad" house.

I hope all who were hit with the blizzard-like weather up North can all travel safe and be safe this Thanksgiving.

Say hello to kitty for me and enjoy the football games. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Madmax,

You reminded me of one of the more memorable moments of an otherwise forgettable childhood.  When I was about 7, my father and mother took me in early December in suburban Philly to get a Christmas tree.  Not far away, but TWC didn't exist then, nor did cable news.  I think there was some radio stuff about a storm coming, but my father didn't pay attention.  We went, bought the tree, and started home.  Soon the snow had become so strong and the winds so strong that my father decided we should leave the car at the bottom of the very steep hill that led to the street that led to our house.  So car and Christmas tree left behind, we started trekking through very heavy snow (I don't remember such heavy snow in Philly in recent times -- it seemed much more so in the 1950s).  It seemed to take hours to get to the top of the hill then the maze of streets that led to our house.  (Reminds me, thinking dramatically, of Dr Zhivago leaving the Bolshevik army to return home.)

When we got home, there was no power.  Oddly this was one of the best memories I had of childhood. To stay warm, my mother, father, me and our cat ended up staying in bed for three days to use body warmth.  We didn't have groceries so we ate all that was left -- pears.

Funny the things that make for good memories.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor,

Stay warm and healthy!

We hope you can make it next Friday!  We can all do something very informal and have a few "Holiday laughs"!

Hi Jerry,

I hope you have a safe and easy flight to Rome! Hoping I make it too!

ProfChiara

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Professor and Jerry, safe, comfortable and enjoyable travels to you all.  Let us know all about what Rome is like in December when you return.

Pluto

Thanks, Pluto!  It's usually one of the best parts of Italy to be in (except possibly further south or if you're a skier).  I frequently go to Rome in December or January between semesters and it's almost always lovely -- but funny for a Mainer.  Temps are usually between 55-65, and while that's enough for me to go jacketless you see Italians wearing big hooded coats.

ProfChiara

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Prof,

No storm stories.  We experienced perfect holiday travel (and cooperative weather) to Tennessee and stunningly good customer service at every juncture on our Delta flights. Now I understand why you and Jerrycoin like Delta Airlines so much.  I will post highlights when I can get to something more robust than my iPad.  Cheers and glad you and kitty had a nice Thanksgiving.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Glad all is well with you!

I hope Delta is good to us,and we can meet The Professor next week!

Have a wonderful holiday!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...