8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 11:08 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Chester?

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Saw this article which may be of interest.

who from the USA has been to Chester?

it is a nice little spot but this result is rather surprising, as are a few of the other cities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10473016/Chester-prettier-than-Venice-and-Prague-say-Americans.html

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Chester?
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

From a Brit point of view, sg, I find that a little hard to believe.  Yup, Chester is a lovely city and we have been there quite a number of times.  But it is quite small and compact and comes nowhere near the beauty of Paris or Rome etc.  I shall be interested to see what responses you get from the USA team.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

chris, i agree. cities like Chester are interesting little places. But they pale in comparison to cities like Paris or Rome.

A beautiful smaller city would be Bruges which has not been mentioned on the list.

i wonder how many of the folks from the USA have actually been to Chester?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Been to Chester in NW England, but not one of our more favorite places to visit. I've traveled throughout England over past 20 years and would much prefer the Cotswold, a few miles West of London, such as Broadway (Broadway Tower photo)...

DSCF0052.JPGOxford is considered the "gateway to the Cotswolds",

and gives you an "window" into the rest of the area....

Oxford Window image000.jpg

Painswick, SW of Cheltenham and West of Oxford, is considered by some as the "backdoor" to the Cotswolds, and is a lovely spot to park for touring the area, such as Bath, Stow-on-the-Wold, Burford, Bibury, Castle Comb (where movie, "Warhorse" was filmed at the start), and many others.....                                                              Bath-Color.jpgBibury image007.jpgEngland - Castle Comb DSCF0073.jpgDSCF0092.JPG

For a restful weekend, you might venture to SW England and stay at coastal town of  St. Mawes and visit the ancient towns of Tintagel, (photo of door below) Falmouth, and swing back along the coast to Barnstable and stop in at Glastonbury and walk through the old abbey ruins.....

image014.jpgcornwall002_02.jpg

image015.jpg....but then, these are but a brief snapshot of the many wonderful spots throughout our favorite place to visit - ENGLAND!

Great pics that bring back a lot of memories.  I think that we Brits sometimes take all this history for granted. 

We've got long-time friends in Lincoln and always visit with them when in UK; he told me once that I knew more about England than he did, but that's sorta the way it is when you live somewhere and fail to appreciate what's in your "backyard"

That's so true.  Fortunately we have family and friends all over the place in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland so have covered a fair bit of the UK.  However, we constantly find outstanding new places that we can't believe we have missed.

I know that same is true in the USA.  we have family in Albany NY and when we visit them, they are amazed at how much of the USA we have visited.  We generally cross the pond once or twice each year and try and cover new states and cities.  However, there are a few that we have trouble resisting and keep going back, i.e. Washington DC, Williamsburg and Hilton Head Island.

Chris

We're only 7 hours from Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach, so these are some of our favorites as well. If you've never tried the Pacific NW, let me know and I'll send some recommendations. Also, you can see some photos I've posted under "Browse" heading on the site.Also, I've traveled for many years in Canada and if you've never been to Quebec, or B.C., I've posted some photos of these areas as well.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg,

Thanks for sharing!

Had no idea Chester was so beautiful!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...