5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2013 5:30 PM by politicalman RSS

Differing views: One night stays to extended stays

impresario07 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've not been a Marriott Rewards member for a long time (3 months), but I've reached Gold status in a short time (and hope to make Platinum before the year ends). I have followed MRI a little bit each day and I've noticed a strange disparity that deserves recognition: Should one-night stay guests have the same weight of rating a hotel?

I think, for the most part, one-night stayers tend to rate hotels higher than those of us who stay for stretches of time. I think when we stay for at least a week, insiders have a better view of how well the cleaning staff does, how well the front desk staff knows the area (for dining requests or attractions) or the workings of the hotel (for maintenance and general complaints) and how all the features of the location function; including dining staff, laundry, pool, gym, etc.

One-night stayers don't get the full view of the hotel and are basing their rating off of a quicker view. Maybe you interacted with a particularly good (or bad) front desk employee and that significantly impacted the rating, but in reality the rest of the staff are the opposite of this one individual you interacted with. Is there any way to add a feature to show if the stay was a longer term (other than if the rater mentions it in their review)? That way I would find it more reliable than the ratings that are based off one-time interactions. Also, some features (like laundry and possibly the gym) are rarely used by one-night stayers. These things are integral to my hotel stay experience, but don't get any note in the reviews.

What's your take? Have you read reviews that give 5 stars, but after staying a few nights, you find a lot more flaws than the reviewer could have seen in one night? Should their be a tag saying how long the stay was and what features they are basing it on? (That way it could be filtered to see all reviews of the laundry, pool, or gym and raters who don't use the service can mark it as N/A so you know what their rating is based on)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Differing views: One night stays to extended stays
    erc Platinum

I look at reviews both here and on Trip Advisor, but more heavily weigh an Insiders write up (meaning a report with photos, restaurants, activities) and the interaction that comes from that report. Also the individual property reviews  done by someone I've interacted with on this forum. I agree with your suggestion, all things being equal, I would put more value on a multi-stay review than an overnight. I believe you're correct; a bad valet parking experience could skew the entire review. It would certainly appear to be an obtainable goal for the I.T. team, we'll see how it plays out. Thanks for the contribution

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I also agree with your suggestion and indeed place more weight on evals made by MRIs on extended stays.  I put in the extended stay definition those folks that stay one night at the same property multiple times.  They certainly get a better view of the property, although it's over time.  Welcome to Marriott Rewards!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You make some good points, but some things (good or bad) are pretty obvious right away. Of my last 10 stays, 6 were for one night. In the cases where I stayed longer, I did have more opportunity to interact with the staff, which invariably turned out to be great experiences.

On a one-night stay, the only way to evaluate housekeeping is the state of the room upon arrival. Looking back over my hotel reviews, I don't see any marked difference based on the length on my stay as to how I evaluated the property. I will admit that with a longer stay one bad experience might be less notable if offset by many good ones. The same would be true of one great experience becoming less meaningful by a slew of disappointing ones.

No matter the length of my stay, there are some features I rarely use (laundry, gym), but even on one-night visit, I sometimes take a dip in the pool. I almost always ask for dining suggestions and for details about the local area.

A week-long stay certainly does provide more opportunity to get a feel for a place, but that doesn't make me trust one-night reviews any less. When reading hotel reviews, it is interesting to see that many Insiders tend to rate places similarly. When a hotel is consistently rated 4 or 5 stars, I would much rather stay there than one that accumulates multiple ratings of 2 or 3 stars no matter how many nights the guest stayed.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Although I agree with your overall concept, I still will base my hotel choices on all reviews posted

One night stays are generally at properties near airports or quick stops en route to another destination.   Therefore, it is just as important to know you will be coming into a properly cleaned room.     Also, the availability of coffee in the lobby (Courtyard, I'm talking to you) doesn't matter if it's one night or many.  Also, if there is a Concierge Lounge open, & if not is breakfast offered.

True, the behavior of an employee might skew one person's review -- but the most important features will be a constant, be it one night or several.

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

We need both.  I can see mold or bad things with a one day stay.  I meet the people who work at the hotel, the breakfast staff, and the other workers if I stay longer.   I would never dismiss what a one time stayer says about the physical condition of the property but on the other hand I would discount some complaints about other things.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...