57 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2015 7:36 AM by psudad RSS

Memorable Moments--the 2013 edition?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It's thanksgiving week here in the US, and life gets more hectic as we head toward Christmas: LED lights that have been stored in boxes that worked last year now refuse to function, the tree stand has a mysterious crack, the front door is looking weary but a summer without rain, etc.

All this got me to thinking that many of us have spent a lot of our lives in Marriott hotels.  We've had many interactions with staff and guests, some good, some otherwise.  So, in that spirit maybe some of you can relate a memorable moment in your stay-at-Marriott-life?

I've got a few of them and can relate them later but it might be a good exercise in head-scratching, and memory bank withdrawals.

How about a thread of memorable Marriott moments?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Kapolei - Oahu, Hawaii, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Ihilani Ko Olina Resort & Spa
Ko'Olina, Hawaii, USA
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Waikiki, Hawaii, USA
Ko'Olina, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Memorable Moments--the 2013 edition?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Great question, easy answer!

The best "Marriott Moment", for me in 2013 was the MRI "Get Together" at County Hall Marriott, London.  The pleasure of visiting with sg, and chrisf was memorable.  There were a lot of laughs, stories, and good fun, from folks that would have never met, had it not been for this site. 

Thanks to all, who made this event, such a "Highlight" to "Marriott Moments" of 2013!

IMG_3243.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall

Three cheers for MRI get-togethers!!!!!

anadyr,

Thanks!

Now if I get the chance, with Nancy, to meet with "The Professor" in Rome!

Then one day I hope a some of us can get together in Monterrey!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I remember well Mr. Coin reading and seeing the pictures of your MRI gathering.......a great time it was and hope to one day meet up with many of us MI to enjoy moments as those.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

As do I IAHFLYR!  I'm still waiting for a MRI meet up Hawaii edition!  Especially since we the Aloha State's newest resident is non-other than merb! 

erc Platinum
    When I looked back over my calendar, I realized how fortunate we were to have such a marvelous year on the road, much of it with Marriott. Picking my most memorable moments, I also realized they were memorable (to me) not because of any prominent significance, but because of my own specific 'quirks'.

1) Aruba Marriott Stellaris - crafting a beach vacation using the tips of Insiders for lodging and restaurants, we had a fantastic trip, beginning to end. Having superb meals on the beach and great times all over the island, will no doubt forge lasting memories, but for me, for the most memorable aspect, I fall back on my 'deal' mentality. Chitchatting with the front desk personnel throughout the week paid off in spades as while relaxing on the balcony enjoying an afternoon breeze and beverage, I got a personal call from the front desk, "Hey Mr. Erc, I remembered you saying you enjoyed sushi, well guess what? They're having a half price sushi deal at our Ketsu Sushi bar right now, down in the lobby for the next hour". Yeah mon, exactly what I wanted. Now, that's personal service!
    IMAG0916.jpg
              Dinner on the beach at the Marriott Flying Fish
    Bon Bini - YouTube   on the balcony just before the sushi call
    2) Marriott Lincolnshire Resort - the terrific Marriott dinner/theatre (South Pacific) and the fond nostalgic memories of my early days with Marriott visiting the Great American Theme Park in Gurnee (Marriott used to run theme parks) made this trip with my Mother and daughters a 'memorable' evening.
    show.jpg
    South Pacific at Marriott's first theatre (NYC is 2nd) - Lincolnshire Illinois

3) Muskoka Wharf (Canada) Residence Inn - A stay during Canada Day was like many of my Marriott trips, excellent service and marvelous local folks, meals, and events. But what made this 'memorable' was my response to my relatives (especially the younger ones) who always bug me to post my trips on Facebook. I follow Facebook for family updates, but gave in and decided to post 'adventures in the Great White North' using the photo below and spinning a brief tale of encountering wildlife and marina mysteries (think Sasquatch and Loch Ness) on this gray, misty, spooky day. Well (unknown to me) one of my great-nephews scanned the photo and wrote a story about it for a middle school project and excitedly informed me he got a good grade about his uncle the wilderness adventurer. Well, as it turns out, the only 'big one' I caught was the tale I told, and the image is actually a photo of one of the many paintings hanging in the Residence Inn lobby. To this day, no one but my wife and I know, (and now you) and we aren't telling!
    IMAG1389.jpg
                 A Wilderness Adventure never before told (or experienced )

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

erc  Where in Canada is this taken?

erc Platinum

Well, I took the photo (of the painting) in the Residence Inn in Gravenhurst, Ontario in the town of Muskoka Wharf.

Where the painting is of, who knows!  

I actually have some nice photos up at the lake at the JW Marriott, but my young Facebook relatives weren't interested in them.

erc Platinum

Ok, I'll bite. Scratch your head, withdraw from your memory bank and tell us your memorable events - judo w/Putin; afternoon tea with the Ayatollah; or the one you're not allow to speak about, Cafe Cubano w/Castro. Remember the rules, 2013 only, no Kim Il-Sung stories (although Dennis Rodman stories are acceptable ). Happy Thanksgiving.

Well other than having a drink with the CEO of McAfee at the Concierge Lounge in Santa Clara CA, seeing various heads of state at their private residences, crossing the border into North Korea with a handful of other Marriott Rhodium Elite Special Forces personnel, Hanging out with another MR Ambassador (hint: look it up) at a Ritz in Manhattan and an undisclosed location, being at both the 'Farm' and the 'Rock,' and having been with Marriott rewards for thirty years, it's been a ho-hum life.

Actually three or four things on the list above actually happened, I leave it to you all out there to decide which was which.

One of the most memorable was a long discussion with a Concierge at a hotel I will not name about 'coyotes,' not the four-legged kind, but the bad guys who rip off people wanting to sneak in through the Mexican border to the US.  I'll leave it at that, but say that the Concierge had a relative with an issue, not her's, that I was able to straighten out.  Is that mysterious enough ERC?

Sure hope so.

Well now, mysterious enough I'd say...just a good thing when I was doing some government work in the aviation field and had to deal with the Secret Service often (my father-in-law still thinks I was in the CIA) we didn't stay at Marriott Hotels or I may be on that mystery list!!

With retirement this year our travels have really been reduced, so I will have to sit and think of a Marriott other than SEA Waterfront where we actually enjoyed interacting with the staff and got to know them......and other than my travels to Florida and the Courtyard which are always great with the excellent fun happy go luck bartender Jeff!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

erc Platinum

Ok Insiders, you're sitting at home digesting your turkey (if you're shopping, I need a scarf), shake that brain and rattle that memory bank and give us some tales from 2013. This is a terrific post by the story man himself (btw, I know which of his memories are true and I know what an ambassador was) that got lost during the weekend of the Hulu, Homeland, Breaking Bad spam. eb5147, I know you've got a story in you, ssindc tell us about a photo shoot;  sg1974 toss some European flair in there for us; pluto77 you want those Fresno St. Bulldogs to remain undefeated don't ya, you need the good karma and kharada46 if you don't have any memorable moments, well then you're buying at the Tiki Grill. And the rest, let's go gang, Bob Hope will thank you, right after his Silver Bells (which came from The Lemon Drop Kid).

Start writing Insiders or I'm dragging out the family album
    My runner up memorable moment occured at the terrific JW Indianapolis, again an Insider inspired trip by tef6178 and jerrycoin. Celebrating our wedding anniversary, Mrs. Erc and I were treated like platinums of days gone by - superb customer service with a terrific concierge lounge,
    IMAG1882a.jpg
                                       view from the JW Indy concierge lounge

where I dropped in one day to grab some snacks and a soda. It was mid-day and there were only two young (30ish) suit attired businessmen in the lounge. I swung by the computer and logged in to check my e-mail. The volume was set to high volume (because apparently who would use a community computer other than old geezers like myself) and it blasted, "You've got mail". Well no kidding, the guys started laughing, not a rude, disrespectful laugh, but a true, "Can you believe that?" giggle. The first guy said, "I didn't know that still existed", the other guy could only respond with a bewildered, "wow". I turned to them and said, I had to check to see if the warranty on my jitterbug phone had expired. One thing lead to another and we enjoyed a nice chat and soda together (they were auditors) and I left in a good mood, although feeling a bit like Yogi Berra, both linguistically and era-wise.
    ps - I'm not going to mention about my pal IAHFLYR knowing the names of bartenders throughout the country.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Erc,

Think on this, I shall on the flight home.  Fairly certain however, that it will have something to do with a couple of sisters who were old enough to know better, sleuthing around where they weren't supposed to in the Vienna State Rathaus...

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Now that we know what a truly memorable moment is - thanks kharada46 - there's less pressure, which makes this easier.

Looking back, my Marriott high point for 2013 was the week I spent in Chicago with my family for free (something about that word - free, as in "no charge" - aaahhhh) burning Marriott points.

Second place goes to the half-dozen (mostly-Northeastern) smaller town properties, Residence Inn's, Spring Hill Suites, yes, even Courtyards, that my son and I stayed in during college visit trips.  Fortunately, we already know that, wherever he ends up next year, there's a Marriott nearby!!!

So, in the end, my best memories won't be from Panama or Singapore or Wales or even Xi'an, China - although those were each memorable (and photogenic).  Which brings me back to a familiar theme - what makes Marriott Rewards so great is the ability to share splendid travel opportunities with the family!  Thank you Marriott!!!

----

PRIOR POST:

great idea... consider the gauntlet thrown (dramatically) upon the ground....  off to PA today (with the family) to accumulate some nights at a Courtyard (where my wife likes the breakfast - go figure)...  Happy Turkey Day to all.

Awesome photos ssindc!  Definitely a place still on my "places to visit" list.  Not only for the sights, but also for the food scene! 

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Alright.  I was going to have to find a place to post this story anyway.

If you're a tea drinker, you know that tea is not a universal constant and the way of ordering is not universal.  In fact, it's so varied, that our family has just started ordering water with lemon almost everywhere.

In SC, the tea is SWEEEEET, and if you don't want sweetened tea, you have to ask for unsweetened.

In TX, it's unsweetened and we had to learn how to order in SC.

A month or so ago, my son and I were traveling back from MB, SC and the disk jockey had a special conversation promoting question.  "What is your favorite mixed drink?"

A woman called in and said her favorite mixed drink was 1/2 sweet tea and 1/2 unsweetened tea.  The dj wondered about her mixed drink so he asked her how she made it.

"Well," she said in her southern drawl, "you pour sweet tea in a glass and then you finish filling it with unsweetened tea."

DJ:  "Then what do you do?"

Woman on air:  "Then you DRINK IT!!!  It's my favorite mixed drink in all the world."

Bri and I just died laughing.  She had said it like, "What do think you do with it, dummy?"

Every time we thought about it for the next few days made us burst out laughing all over again.

erc,

I have... just have to dig them up!  My life thus far has a surprising amount of Marriott woven into it... from engagement to wedding to honeymoon!  All are Marriott...

Thanks for not putting that piece of information out on Insiders erc, just an inside secret between the "Medicine Man" jerrycoin and us.

erc,

Very nice post!  Indy JW, was very, very nice!

BTW, "Yogi" is also from STL!

Alright erc,

How's this for a memorable moment?

130817hck262.jpg

08/17/2013 - JW Marriott Ihilani Lagoon Lawn, Ko Olina - Oahu, Hawaii

Location Brand Hotel
      Kapolei - Oahu, Hawaii, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Ihilani Ko Olina Resort & Spa
      Ko'Olina, Hawaii, USA
      Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

KH,

It doesn't get any better!

erc Platinum

kharada46 (probably the number of times he asked her ) and his lovely bride. Congratulations, see you soon.

erc,

haha, unfortunately not!  Asked her once, which actually occurred at the Waikiki Beach Marriott in 2011.  Her favorite restaurant is there (Sansei Waikiki) I surprised her with the proposal, which she thought was just going to be a simple staycation with dinner at her restaurant of choice to celebrate our 8 years together at that point in time.

In fact, heres the view from our room:

287965_2307682253084_6473536_o.jpg

And dinner that night!

904296_10200713469180681_1508509799_o.jpg

904249_10200713468900674_1006778424_o.jpg

We are a Marriott family from the very beginning... haha!  Well... Marriott and Disney

55305_4610981274120_41682063_o.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
          Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
          Waikiki, Hawaii, USA
          Ko'Olina, Hawaii, USA

kharada46,

Shame on you!!!  I only hope your room that night in 2011 had separate sleeping quarters.....spending a night together out of wedlock, what is this place coming to?

IAHFLYR,

lol!  We're innocent.  Did I mention we bought our timeshare before we got married too?   

No, but now that you have you're off the hook!!!!   That's great, I knew you were smart, but know I have verification at least two times.......who you married and a time share.

IAHFLYR,

Thanks!!  You're the first person to ever call me smart for buying a timeshare!  haha

I had a moment of kindness!!   Actually I'd never thought of owning a timeshare, after your comment I think I'll avoid it completely!!!!

lol, thanks... In my defense, I'd rather pay what I did for my timeshare rather than the $500 a night it normally costs to stay at Aulani.  Had we not, we would have already paid near purchase price for usage thus far  

Only thing is Disney isn't like Marriott.  You own your timeshare for only 50 years, though it's not leasehold.  I forget the actual term. 

Game over!  kharada46 wins!

Extra special moment!!!

Yep.  You win, kharada46.

That's just beautiful. 

erc,

Thank-you for your kind words! 

I must say MRI does influence holiday choices, and really improves them for me! 

Really had "Given up" on Rome, but this trip has convinced me that I was "All Wrong"!  However, without the input by various MRI, (Especially The Professor), I would have never made the trip!

We just got back from Myrtle Beach again, last night.

Brian and I went to MB to check in at IHG on the 7th of Dec, I think it was.  I thought it was only for 5 days and we were planning on going on to Cola., SC for a Christmas party at his friends' house on the 11th, but when we checked out, they mentioned to him that it was 2 days early.  We were driving out when we decided to go back to try to check back in for the other 2 days.  He had no problem doing so and he took the refrigerated items back to the room while we went ahead and left for Cola.

Angel has been Brian's friend longer than her husband Jerry has been.  She is a wonder.  They met in college their freshman year at Clemson.

Well, Christmas is one of Angel's favorite holidays, as well as Halloween, Easter, 4th of July and birthdays.  She loves life and wants to do as much as she can since she has gastroparesis and really doesn't expect a long life.  Instructions for the party were no presents or food.  Just come.

She and Jerry had spent so many hours preparing the food.  It was so good and so special.  A port wine cheese ball with a deliciously spiced cream cheese covering that made it into an igloo with tiny penguins made of black olives, carrots and cream cheese.  The bottom olive was split with cream cheese inserted.  The feet and beak were slices of carrots with wedges cut out for the toes and one carrot sliver inserted into an olive turned sideways for the head and beak.  She got most of the ideas from Pinterest on the internet.  She made the grooves in the igloo icing to represent the ice blocks.  I don't know how she did it.  They were so perfect and Angel has no arms.  Her arms never developed so they taper to above where her elbows would have been so she has no joints in them, but she can do just about anything.  I tell her she's not handicapped when I'm in such awe of her.  She also only has one leg, so she's wheel-chair bound and I know she really is handicapped, but she just laughs with glee when I tell her that.  (My handicaps just aren't the ones that can be seen.)

They had a cupcakes laid out in a tree shape and she piped the icing on the green iced cupcakes from a can.  Don't know how she did that, either, but it never crossed her mind that she couldn't. 

They had presents there for everyone.  Most of them had been won on Facebook by Angel.  They had gotten lots of stuffed animals for Santa to bring to the kids and each child seemed so proud of the ones they picked from Santa Jerry's bag.  He was such a cute acting Santa, like telling the kids he had to park his sleigh in the next block, telling them to whisper louder because he was hard of hearing with all the snow in his ears, and other gems like that.  I'm pretty sure it was the best Christmas party I'd ever been to.

I checked into the CY nearby under my rewards number for my first stay for a cert. in the Mega Bonus for this time and Brian stayed at their house for the night, sleeping on the couch.  One of their cats made herself comfortable on his stomach, which he had to roll over to provide since she was pacing back and forth on his arm looking for a comfortable place to lie down.  I picked him up the next morning since breakfast is served until 10 a.m. on weekdays at the CY.

I called my husband and told him we had 2 more nights there at the resort and we had to go back since we'd left some of our things there and I was thinking of booking some more nights at another resort there that we like.  I got 4 more nights and we were able to move into a room as soon as we moved out of the first resort.

While staying there, I came down with the flu.  One of their friends from college, who had also gone to high school with Angel and Jerry, had it when he came to the party.  I hadn't been aware of it.  Angel told me about it later and said she told him he had given it to me.  (Angel has to be really careful not to come down with anything, too, so I'm surprised he came if he knew he was sick, but he might not have.)

We were supposed to check out of the 2nd place on Tues., but I called to ask for an extension so they gave me one more day since they said they had someone booked into our room on Wed.  On Wed., I was still sick so I called again for another extension, which I expected to have to use points for and points require a 2 night stay even if I was hoping to leave on Thursday to give me an extra day.  We already had reservations that I had booked at the IHG resort in the summer because Angel had wanted to stay somewhere other than home for Christmas, so my husband had reserved a vacation through the 2 companies he works for and with.  Since I still wasn't able to drive on Thurs., we stayed until Friday and got to Mont., AL about 5 p.m. that day; then left there again without unpacking the car for MB again on Sat. morning.

Stayed at CY again on the way and went by Angel's house to get the pass she had for a pass to Shadrack's Light Show that she had won and wouldn't be able to use because Jerry had to work.  He works at Fresh Market and is one of those young people lucky enough to get a job less than 32 hours a week averaged out over 2 weeks because of the O-Care.

I had booked a 2 BR Signature unit for their benefit and kept hoping they'd be able to make it, even giving them a gas card and a part of another to help with the gas, but they can use that anyway.

Here's a link to Shadrack's.  I wouldn't want to pay the $25 to see it, but it was nice to see the other night before we left.

http://shadrackchristmas.com/myrtle-beach/

Oh, yes.  I nearly forgot.  Brian and I got to indulge in one of our favorite treats while in MB where there were Food Lion stores available.  (They aren't in Montgomery, AL anymore.)  Cheerwine sherbert that we mix with Canada Dry ginger ale.  It can be mixed with other sodas as well, but we really like the ginger ale with it.  It would make a great punch, but we just make it as a float and then stir the heck out of it to make a slush.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Anadyr

nice thread.  Have you come back to the 'Marriott Family.??  I recall you stating your desire to explore the competition as it were, but I get the impression you're back.  was the grass not greener???

I am playing the field and some of the turf is actually better than here in Marriott, some is not. Fairmont still wins the prize overall.

Interesting. I am not very aware of them.  which brand within Marriott would Fairmont compare/compete with?

Ritz most likely.  It is a very small company with very few properties, but getting an email from the GM in advance of a stay that is NOT pro forma or automated makes it nice. Also, the ability of every associate to make whatever needs to be done happen at any time is mindful of Marriott in the good old days: "No guest leaves unsatisfied" was the motto.

That motto is one that is very difficult to find anywhere now days.

It actually is still the rule at Ritz.  If compared to them, then its a wash.  IMO.  Not fair to compare Fairmont to Marriott oct RI, or FFI…..

As as Fairmont is, they have an abundance of properties in Hawaii.  I believe the only brand in Hawaii that outranks Fairmont is Four Seasons... not that I've ever stayed at any of these brands! 

Fairmont in Dallas, TX.   It's been around for so long, it seems.

http://www.fairmont.com/dallas/

From $207 USD/NIGHT

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a Canadian-based operator of luxury hotels and resorts. Currently, Fairmont operates properties in 19 countries including Canada, the United States, Azerbaijan, Barbados,

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

My most memorable Marriott Experience was spending New Years 2013 in the green room at the Marriott with celebrities "Train" and  a The Voice winner "Cassadee Pope". My wife and I had special NBC VIP passes that allow us full access to Times Square and entry between the Marriott Marquis and the NBC viewing area.

Wonderful memory and post!!  Good to see your post again.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Walking through Ghent Belgium at night on the way back to the Marriott from dinner.  The lighting of the city is spectacular.  Actually, the entire week in Belgium was awesome - 5 nights in Ghent, with a day trip to Brugges, and 2 nights in Brussels.  Both Marriotts were excellent, in the perfect parts of town.

DSCF3716.JPG

Nice pic, psudad!

Great to hear of a nice stay and love the pic.

psudad

So pretty and magical looking!!  I had thought that was the moon until I clicked onto the picture to enlarge it.  A clock tower.  Wonderful!!!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Have you created a memorable moments string for 2015?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...