22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2016 7:43 PM by jimbomarie RSS

Paying Annual Maintenance Fees with Marriott Rewards Visa

gsmiller Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know if you get 5 rewards points for paying maintenance fees with the credit card or is it just 1 point?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Paying Annual Maintenance Fees with Marriott Rewards Visa
    calcteach Platinum 5 Reviews

You will get 5points per dollar.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

I've always been told that you don't get any points for paying the annual fee (it's similar to resort fees or service charges), so I'm hoping calcteach is correct because that would fall between a full service and CY check in bonus.

merb  (who sometimes works weekends, but now resides in Hawaii, so runs a few hours behind continental US)  can you or any of the folks you know shed some definitive light on this? Thanks

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for your question. Paying an MVW maintenance fee should earn points, yes. However annual credit card fees do not earn points.

erc Platinum

Thanks for answer Andy.    gsmiller, I had the right answer for the wrong question, sorry for the confusion.

superchief1 Platinum

I pay all of my MVC MF fees with the Marriott Visa and have always gotten 5 points/$ in the past. I hope this doesn't change in the future due to the spinoff from Marriott. With 5+ weeks, this is the only reason I keep my Marriott Visa.

viennarose Gold 1 Reviews

What is the "spinoff" you refer to?

erc Platinum

Well, I would always defer to two of the forum's timeshare experts  superchief1  and tef6178, but I think the chief is taking the Coast Starlight down the west coast and tef is enhancing his already bronzed tan                               in the Caribbean   so I'll give it a go;

Two years ago (11/11) Marriott decided to exit the time share business that they entered in 1984 essentially because it required, due to real estate, too much valuable cash (that could be better leveraged developing and selling hotel properties). They 'spun off' the company by distributing shares of stock of the new company Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp. to the Marriott shareholders, one share of the timeshare company for every ten shares of Marriott (Marriott family at the time owned 21% of both companies). The company is now traded over the NYSE under the symbol of VAC (and just reached a 52 week high price). There are over 400,000 owners of currently 60 properties. As many owners have written in this forum, VAC apparently has the ability to raise fees to their level of desire. The move was well regarded by Wall Street in that it allowed Marriott (who still receives millions in commissions for licensing and a % of the gross for developer sales as well as other fees) to focus exclusively on their industry leading expertise, hotel management.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Appreciate your explaining this spinoff from the mothership.  Never fully understood how it came about.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

erc:

Well stated. You must be a shareholder! But, you forgot to mention that Marriott also enjoys the HUGE freebie benefit of booking unused timeshare property rooms on a nightly basis through their hotel division and pays ZERO for the housekeeping, maintenance and upkeep of those properties for the nights booked. I have asked for documentation regarding how the timeshare owners are re-imbursed for housekeeping, et al and was finally told (after countless requests) by a management person that the cost is borne by the timeshare owners through their maintenance fees. Of course, that does explain that, as more timeshare units are empty and are booked through the hotel division, why the 'housekeeping' line item keeps increasing by about 8 to 12% or more yearly.

AND...that's not the worst......Marriott's management fee is the SINGLE biggest increase every year when the new budget proposals are done. It's a double slap to timeshare owners...........

Of course, I keep waiting for the class action suit.......

owner2005 Silver

I am a Marriott's owner since 2005.  My maintenance fees have gone up 100% since purchase.  I have been told that Marriott's contracts out its maintenance and does not consider the owners interests, kind of like giving the business to Uncle Bob and paying him top dollar.  In the ten years of ownership, we have traded through Interval and stayed at very nice Hyatt's and some really mediocre other places, but paying over $1,000.00 a year and having stayed at our timeshare twice in ten years seems excessive for the privilege.  Presently I have a call in to Marriott's but have been receiving the run around.  They keep sending me to phone numbers that do not get answered or email addresses that come back as invalid.  We recently bought points because we were told it would be increasingly difficult to trade our unit without them.  We find that our contract has some questionable missing information for an informed decision on our part, but we cannot get anyone to listen.  Any advice?

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there owner2005,

So sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. We'd like to help you with this. Please send us a direct message with your Rewards number and we can begin looking into this for you.

dfergie1973 Platinum

Did you ever get an answer on this?   I feel the same way.   We have a timeshare we have used a few times but have seen the maintenance cost go over 1000 bucks for the year when it used to be around 550 a month starting out 10 years ago. 

kcba Member

Great question. I have friends who LOVE their Vacation Club perks.

superchief1 Platinum

I pay my maintenance fees for my MVC every year with my Marriott Visa and receive 5 pts per dollar. This is the primary reason I keep my card now that I am lifetime platinum and Cat 5 certs have limited use.

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

As Superchief just said you do get 5 Marriott Reward points per dollar IF you use a MARRIOTT credit card, if not you get no points.  Until the Vacation club starts to charge a premium on using a credit card most members will do this also to get additional Marriott Reward points because maintenance fees can add up to thousands of dollars depending on how many weeks and Destination points you owe.

rmt_co Gold

Similar question to the original post, but given recent events, using a different card:  Will MVCI maintenance fee payments qualify to earn 2 Starpoints per dollar charged when using the SPG American Express Card?

Background:  I received a notice stating that as of 18 October 2016 the American Express Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) credit card earns 2 Starpoints "for each $1 of eligible purchases on your Card Account charged directly with hotels participating in Marriott Rewards, standalone Marriott branded retail establishments, and Marriott branded online stores (including online purchases of Marriott branded gift cards), that in each case, are owned by Marriott International, Inc. and its affiliates."  Since 1 Starpoint currently can be transferred into 3 Marriott Rewards (MR) points, this would potentially result in a total of 6 MR points for using the SPG American Express credit card vs. 5 MR points when using the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature card (an extra 20 percent return in MR points). 

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

That's a great question; please allow us to look into this for you and we'll share our findings in response to this thread.

Thanks!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi rmt_co.  When it comes to the SPG card, you will have to reach out directly to them for eligible earnings. Though our programs have merged, our offices only have information on the Marriott Rewards Credit Card at this time. 

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

Deanna, 

Yes you get 5 points/dollar charged on your "Black Visa Marriott Rewards Card'.  One thing to check, however, is that some locations are starting to charge a premium on charging Maintenance Fees with a credit card.  Then it depends on wether or not the points gained are worth the additional charge.  Not all locations do this so it pays to check.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...