14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2013 12:01 PM by californian RSS

Utah trip - any suggestions?

dms21 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi - I'm taking my wife and kids to Utah (flying into SLC) over Spring Break next year (7 nights) and have a flexible schedule and would like to use Marriott points/certs for this trip. Looking to spend a couple of days skiing and the rest perhaps checking out some of the national parks.  Totally open to suggestions on where to go and where to stay as we have not planned any details yet.  Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Utah trip - any suggestions?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

dms21,

Sounds like a wonderful plan!  Having been going to Utah once a year for a long time, I would like to recommend you consider the following:

If you are going to use points, book NOW!

Review previous posts on Utah, Park City, and SLC, you will find some wonderful suggestions.

Decide if you want to stay in STC or Park City.  (That may be determined by where you can stay on points).  If Park City, the Summit View Marriott is outstanding.  Right on Main Street, everyone in your family can find plenty to do nearby.  If you decide on SLC, there are a host of great places that are pretty easy at using points to stay.  I just happen to like the RI at the Airport for its location and pricing.

Places to consider, nearby, that are unique and inexpensive:

Antelope Island

IMG_3119.jpg

A nice visitor center and interesting place to see the buffalo in the wild!

IMG_3093.JPG

Promontory Point, is a great place to enjoy a historical event.  The Golden Spike!  Guided tours of the grounds and trains are really enjoyable!  After this took a drive North to Idaho for a "Wild West" dinner, and then drove back to SLC.

IMG_3125.JPG

A meal at LaCaille in SLC, will be memorable for all!

Likewise, a visit or meal to Stein Erikson Lodge in Deer Valley is very special!

IMG_2664.JPG

There is a lot to do in SLC!  A very clean, safe place to enjoy a lot of sights.  Plan on seeing Temple Square and historic places such as the Temple and Bee Hive House!

IMG_2694.JPG

Try to catch an event at The Tabernacle, it is very special.

Have a wonderful time planning your event.  Should you have any questions, please let us know, and someone will be able to help with some answers!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Excellent suggestions and pictures from Mr. Coin, as always!

dms21 Platinum

Thanks Jerry and everyone on the help!! 

I think generally we will do a couple of nights in Park City (perhaps Marriott MountainSide or Marriott Summit, I figure the former is easily for being on the mountain ?), a couple of nights in SLC, and that leaves a few days in the middle for a road trip south to the national parks. 

Taking a brief look at the map, I think Moab/Arches probably is more doable than Zion/Bryce.  Need to do more research but my sense is trying to do both is too much in the time we have.  Opinions and recommendations welcome!  Thanks!

erc Platinum

As usual, jerry is the man in the know. I've stayed at Summit Watch and enjoyed it thoroughly (it was great for getting around town during a film festival - everything is there) and friends who are skiers like yourself, really enjoyed the Mountainside, so you can't go wrong either way. I had an excellent weekend stay at the SLC Marriott City Center an easy walk to the Capital Building, which is an interesting walk through and the Temple is a definite must see (especially if you're staying at a Marriott). We also enjoyed the Clark Planetarium (walking distance). Have a great trip.

erc,

Thanks for the info on "The Clark Planetarium", that is one I had not heard of!

I would also like to support your comments on the Temple, it is a fantastic place to enjoy.  The wonderful people are so accommodating and friendly.  I should also say I am not LDS, but this is a real experience, and all are welcome to enjoy this historic place.

IMG_2691.JPG

The Temple grounds are most interesting!

IMG_3132.JPG

Make it a point to visit the "Visitor Center" just South of Temple Square, you will enjoy the array of information on the area!  Have fun!

erc Platinum

Great stuff. My wife and I worked at the big M back in the 70s, where once people discovered you worked at HQ they thought you were Mormon .   To get us in the mood    Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings Handel's Messiah - YouTube

erc,

Wonderful clip!

I used to stay at the "Big M" years ago, and then walk down to my favorite place to dine in SLC, "The New Yorker"!  Here's some photo's you may enjoy!

IMG_2687.JPG

The lobby of The Marriott, very nice!

IMG_2688.JPG

Nice place to dine in The Marriott!

The New Yorker!IMG_2684.jpg

curiousone Platinum

That is going to be a busy week for you. Last August my wife and I drove from Park City to Moab, a 4+ hour drive through some amazing county. We spent the night in Moab and the next morning we drove to Arches about 7AM. The park did not open until 8AM, but the gate were open, so we drove it. It was great for the next 2+ hours since there were not that many people around, but it got crowded after that. Arches is beautiful, every where you turn it is  Kodak moment. We left Arches about noon, missing a lot, and drove on to Flagstaff.

curiousone,

Nice information!

How did you like Flagstaff?  Am thinking of going there in January? 

curiousone Platinum

Being from Phoenix, Flagstaff is almost a local stop for me. We spent a long weekend there this summer and enjoyed it very much. But, that was summer when we could walk everywhere. The weekend we were there they had a huge car show. You are talking the middle of winter. Are you planning on doing some skiing? There are several local breweries and lots of local restaurants. The CY and the SHS are on the south end of town, and away from the railroad noise.

curiousone,

Thanks for the update on Flagstaff!  Will probably only make it to Sedona for dinner from Scottsdale, and they return later that evening.

There are some very good "Tips" on Utah, so I hope they work for anyone planning on visiting!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Zion is a great park and you could stay at a Fairfield in St. George which is about an hour away.  the park does not tend to get that cold as Bryce can

Arches and Canyonland are great choices too.

Utah has so much to offer.

dms21 Platinum

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Little surprised there is no Marriott chain near Moab though.  Thinking about driving down from Park City on a Monday morning and back to Salt Lake Wed afternoon.  So effectively 48 hours in Moab area I suppose.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have been to Moab more than once and plan to go there next year.  This time I will be staying at the Hampton Inn for the first time.  I enjoy National Parks and have found that in general, there are no Marriotts near by.  My next choice is a Hilton and most often I find one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...