5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 5:46 PM by bpelican RSS

Un-rewarded Points

3cyguys Member
Currently Being Moderated

I have been working with Marriott rewards since last March trying to get points credited to my account for a hotel stay.  A group of us stayed at a very nice Marriott Resort in Grand Cayman last March.  About a month after returning home, I noticed that there hadn't been any points added to my account.  After several inquiries and questioning I was told that I was only elegible to receive points for the value of our incidential charges at the hotel, not for the entire cost of the rooms.  We had prepaid the room charges when we booked the trip a couple of months earlier.  The rooms were about $550 per night and worth quite a few points!  So far, all I have been told was that I will get points for the approximate $180 worth of incidentials (about 10,000 points) and that's it.  This was back in June and as of today, I still haven't seen those points.

I feel like I've been really ripped off and may never recommend a Marriott or afiliated property to anybody!

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Un-rewarded Points
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Did you book through a 3rd party provider?  If so, you are probably out of luck.  I had a similar experience in booking at the Cosmo in Vegas.  It was pointed out to me in terms and conditions

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

3cyguys Member

Shashack, thanks for your response.  I did book through a local travel agent.  We usually book our own travel but since we were going with other people we all met at the travel agency and set this up together.  I highly doubt I'll stay at or recommend a Marriott property again!  At least my points for my airlines (Delta) came through with out any problems. 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thank for the heads up!

impresario07 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not entirely sure if this is practice, but could the travel agency have put in their own corporate rewards ID to claim the points to their own account? By having them book the room, you forfeited control of the details. In my experience, a lot of travel agencies are knowledgeable, but that also means they know the back doors to take your benefits from booking directly with the company.

My company used to have a policy where we hade to book through a booking agency that "negotiated" prices with major hotel chains. Then my company would pay the agency and money would never be handled by our employees. We recently dissolved that policy when we found they were rarely saving more than a few dollars and taking all the rewards points and putting them on their corporate account! I'm sure their CEO has some nice vacations with our points! Now we just require receipts and reimburse the employees for their expenses. There was less paperwork the old way, but everyone seems happier this way. Most of my coworkers have AAA memberships and they save the company a few dollars here and there so it really hasn't hurt our bottom line.

Anyway, now I do my research and find out the nuances of travel on my own so I don't get cheated by travel agents. I can't say I haven't made any mistakes, but at least I know they were honest mistakes.

3cyguys Member

The travel agency may have taken the points.  I did call them first to see if there was anything they could tell me and they said that since we booked through a travel company that with discounts, etc. that we probably wouldn't get any of the points.  I wish they would have said that in the beginning!  I'm not so sure we couldn't have gotten the same deal on the rooms if we would have booked them ourselves.  I still feel that the money came from us originally and we should be eligible for the rewards.

We had an experience a few years ago on another trip that a travel agent was very helpful.  A flight was delayed that caused re-booking for the next day...the travel agent was able to change our trip on both ends with the hotel and our trip turned out great!

The next time I'll do my DD and book myself.  Thanks for the response!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...