21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2013 10:51 AM by pluto77 RSS

MR Frequent Fliers US Airways leaving * Alliance March 1, 2014

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...ch-1-2014.html

Just a heads up for all. Many of us take advantage of transfers and bonuses etc. Now that the AA merger has been approved, DM will become Aadvantage miles. So glad AA is back in the Marriott family!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MR Frequent Fliers US Airways leaving * Alliance March 1, 2014
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Thanks for the reminder and tip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

So hold on to dividend miles and let them transfer to AAadvantage or unload them?  What do Insiders think?

I am a big fan of AA and Oneworld. Bigger than US anyway. I was "pushed" to US after AA left Marriott. I am letting my 350k miles go to AA. Combined, the new airline will cover pretty much the entire world except southeast Asia and Africa. The alliance will make up the difference.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

But will the mileage chart remain the same?  The article states that US has a generous mileage award chart.

United just changed theirs dramatically. (not surprisingly anti-passenger.)

I doubt US will make any changes prior to March 1. No way to know, though.

AA has a similar chart, I believe. Oneworld is very similar to *Alliance for miles. We once went BWI-FCO (Rome) for 40k miles each. (4 tickets economy) That was a great deal. 4 years ago. All of the charts are easy to see now. I also like the benefits with the Citi AA card. Free bag. Couple other things.

My approach is to hold DM and transfer to AA but I am primarily an AA user.   I have been building up DM balance through various offers in anticipation of merger approval

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

As one who has recently gone through the CO/UA merge and had large number of miles with CO in the OnePass program my advice would be to do nothing with them out of the ordinary.  All of our OnePass miles and status (Million Miler) was matched in the new MileagePlus program, even to the point of retaining our OnePass account numbers. 

But do pay very close attention to any/all press releases from either AA or US about the program as any changes will surely be announced well in advance of an effective date so you can take appropriate action.  Most likely one program or a hybrid program will come out of the merger and miles in both accounts will transfer to one account in the new program.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I was expecting this.  Thanks for the heads up.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

My miles and usage are as follows... USAir 400K,  AA 50K, Delta 20K and United 5K..

For full trips, I've only cashed in on USAir and the Star Alliance. They've always worked out great for my needs. I have also benefited from reduced mile discounts to stretch these miles. We were able to roundtrip from PHL to SFO in First Class for just 45,000 each, last October.

I did two upgrades with AA for 15,000 each. I'm a little worried about OneWorld mostly out of ignorance. I'm hoping it will be fine. Does anyone know if AA offers the same type of reduced mile discount offers as USAir? I'm referring to the Low, Medium, High rates.

Honestly, we preferred AA and Oneworld at first. Switched to US/* because AA left Marriott. We were VERY happy with Oneworld. They have tiered awards. We went (family of 4) to Rome in economy 40k/each. Thats a good deal. Thailand in first for 160k each. AWESOME flights. I wouldn't be worried. Citi AA card is awesome. They don't offer 5k reduction in awards if you have CC.

Plus, I think we will see a blend of the plans anyway……You know al changes favor the airlines.

I Primarily use AA for international first or business class.  We usually try to book on the first day available and to be flexible on local airports ( ex, dFW, IAH, AUS, Sat) and have good luck with 100k business and 130k first class round trip.  No way I would have paid cash for those fares.  I am hoping not too much changes after the merger but I wouldn't bet on it

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Most of my experience is with AA and when I compare the awards for domestic, I find that US Air is usually more miles than AA, example AA 25,000 and US Air 60,000 for coach.   US Air seems to be good for international.  I hope to keep the AA program.  AA also has one way award that I like.

As for One World vs Star, they both have good and bad.  AA uses Qantas, a plus, but uses British Air, a negative.

cali,

One of the things that worried me was the British Airways association. I believe I've read that they typically hammer on outrageous fuel surcharges that make the award travel a bad deal. Is that true?

Couple things about this pained.....(I am not an authority.)

1) AA restricts use of miles on BA metal. You cannot use them just to London because AA flies there. You have to go on AA. You can use them on BA to other destinations through London. This is a rough overview. AA.com would have more info.

2) There is a lawsuit about these fuel surcharges. The gist is that the charges haven't changed as fuel prices dropped. However, articles I have read say that BA can simply change them name of the charge and be totally clear. 

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I used AA miles to go to Scandinavia last year.  I flew first and my fees and taxes were close to $1000 which is more than the price of a coach seat.  I tried to get on AA but could not.  If I could have made the change, I would have saved about 2/3 of the cost.  In addition to the cost, the plane was older and the seats were over 25 years old and AA flies the 777s which are newer and more comfortable.  If I can help it, I will never fly BA again.

Yes cali,

That's what I've been hearing. $1000 in surcharge fees and taxes!!! Wow, that is gouging to the Nth degree. How disappointing it must be to earn these miles the hard way, qualify for award travel , then get smacked with a $1000 bill. British Airways earns the Hall of Shame for that.

Does anyone know of other airlines in OneWorld that charge these types of fees?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...