9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 10:12 AM by bosmutus RSS

Tipping Housekeeping

dmcannon Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Who, as a rule, leaves a tip for housekeeping? How much do you tend to leave and do you do it every day or just the first or last?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tipping Housekeeping
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

dmcannon

Hi.  this subject has been discussed often amongst Insiders.  Generally, there seems to be, at least for those that comment, a 50-50 split on who does and who doesn't.  Both sides of the argument seem passionate about their viewpoint, and I can see both sides.  For the record, I am not a housekeeper tipper.  I am a generous tipper in other situations, I just feel strongly that this service is not deserving of a stipend.  Just my opinion.  Regarding the $$ amount tipped, generally speaking a dollar or 2 a night seems to be the average mentioned by those who tip, but women, who tend to support the idea of tipping housekeeping more than men do, tend to tip more $$ per night.

Either way, Housekeeping is an important function in the scope of the traveling public and I respect the work they do. 

shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I will tip housekeeping as a general rule unless they do a lousy job cleaning my room, which is occurring on more occasions than I like.  IMO, $2.00/day is reasonable.  Will tip them for special services such as bringing more pillows.

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

Do you tip at beginning of trip or end.  I have always tipped at end but I have read you get better service if you tip at the beginning.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I tip at the end of my stay.  It makes sense that you would get better service if you tip each day, but I would find that odd.  I tip $1-2/night (can depend on how many small bills I have; with valets and such, I now make sure I have plenty of $1s before a trip).  More hotels are featuring service cards with the name of the housekeeping staff servicing your room.  Because of this, it makes me think that tipping is becoming more of an expectation.

I'm in agreement with you tipping at the end of stay.  The only time I'd tip early is if they provided a special service (extra pillows).

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Hummm - I prefer to tip each day for two reasons.  1) even for a two night stay, the same housekeeper may not service my room.  I am currently in a CY on a four-night stay and a different housekeepr has serviced my room the 1st and 2nd nights.  2) if tipping is an encentive for good work, I think that not receiving a tip on a daily basis is a disincentive.  Just my thoughts, though.  Been tipping 2 Euros per day in Germany and have received a brief thank you note from the housekeeper each day.

Good points!

bosmutus Member 1 Reviews

I lived in Germany for 3 years.  Tipping is not customary in Germany, for the most part, even in restaurants.  Some restaurant tipping of a few coins, maybe, but not a full 18% or anything like that.  If you do leave a tip in a restaurant, it should be handed directly to the waitress rather than left on the table.  It is considered somewhat rude and condescending to leave the tip on the table forcing the waitress to scoop it up.  Seems it would be the equivalent of putting the tip on the floor in the US and forcing the wait staff to bend over and pick it up.  This was my experience anyway.

bosmutus Member 1 Reviews

Generally, I keep up the "Do Not Disturb" sign until check-out and only flag the housekeeper for towels or anything I need.  At the end of my stay I generally tip $5-$10.  Most of my trips are only a couple days though.  Sure I would use housekeeping for longer stays.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...