8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 11:35 AM by bpelican RSS

Where To Stay In Charleston South Carolina? And What to do?

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning our first trip to Charleston.  We do not know where to stay.  Is the Charleston waterfront any better than North Charleston.  Any good hotels.  We read there is a new Residence Inn in North Charleston but it looks really far out.  Any good hints or hotel deals are really appreciated.  Also what are must see things and what should we do in 2 or 3 days?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charleston, South Carolina, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
  • Re: Where To Stay In Charleston South Carolina? And What to do?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Any Marriott in North Charleston is a good 20 to 30 min drive to downtown Charleston.  And the beaches are another 30 min or so from there.  My choice for downtown Charleston is the Renaissance, followed by the Charleston Marriott.  As for things to do, just look on the internet and you'll find plenty.  Try to locate the previous post by erc about his trip there.  One place I always eat and recommed is Shem Creek Bar and Grill for the best shrimp and grits I've ever had ( and will be having them again early December).  Enjoy your trip

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

Thanks!  This helps and I will look up erc's trip!

erc Platinum

politicalman

They'll be celebrating the sesquicentennial of the end of the Civil War before you could ever find my post. My sidebar comment was buried deep in the bowels of the forum in a different topic. Hopefully this will take you right to the brief post (if not, it's this link the 10/13 post) http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/92276#92276. I stayed out on the islands, and ate mostly across the harbor in Mt. Pleasant and on the islands (although, we did have a nice meal at Fleet Landing in the city). Like nuhusker wrote, I've heard nothing but good things about the Renaissance, which is smack dab in the middle of everything and my friends went down two days ahead of us and enjoyed their stay at the Mt. Pleasant Residence Inn and drove back and forth easily to downtown.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54171-Activities-c25-Charleston_South_Carolina.html  some possible activities, all types of tours and historical sites (somewhere in there should be the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier, across the harbor on the way to Mt. Pleasant)

Happy Trails

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

You can't do better than the Charleston Renaissance properly.  For shoppers it's right in the middle of everything.  Very elegant hotel, great rooms, great service.  The Marriott is a little further away from the action, but also a tremendous property that we have enjoyed many times past.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

My wife and I just completed our first (and not last!) trip to charleston.   We stayed at the marriott, good value easy drive to the historic district.   I recommend you start at the visitors center.  We like to walk so on day one we visited about 4 homes associated with the Charleston museum ( purchase pass at center) and strolled along Market and East Bay streets.   so many outstanding restaurants on East Bay we had fun just taking our chances.  Day two we hit a few plantations on the river,  strolled battery row, and back to east bay for the evening.  A fun and relaxing city.   We also made a visit to ft. Sumter but we left plenty to come back for.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...