64 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2014 6:41 PM by jerrycoin RSS

30 Years "Today" in Marriott Rewards!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today I am so please to remind myself of the wonderful experiences I have enjoyed since joining MR, 30 years ago today.  I was checking in at the new Marriott in Charleston, WV, and the lady at the front desk got me to join MR.  Wow, in life, "What small doors sometimes open up to big rooms"!  I had no idea of what enjoyment was in store for me during the next three decades of membership.  (BTW, I am NOT employed by Marriott, any travel related business or cannot say, there have been a few "Rough experience", but really very, very few).

Having experienced staying at over 200 + properties and over 1800+ paid nights, there is one thing that stands out when I review my experiences:

CONSISTENCY

That includes the properties, the service, and the staff.  The wonderful, fellow MRI, that I have met on these travels, have been the highlight of every trip!  The trips seem to have so much more "Quality" when you can share a laugh or tale with MRI, like NUHusker, Chrisf, SG, and Arkwright.  These are people one can really respect and appreciate so much more, when you finally meet them.  Likewise, I hope I have a chance to meet so many others whom I have had the chance to follow on MRI.  Real people, real travelers, and experiences that have been "Invaluable" to others and myself.  Yes, we have lost some good MRI contributors for whatever reasons, I wished we had not, but that was their choice.

It's tough to really "Rank" the best places/properties in my mind because with so many of them, it is about "The purpose" of your trip!  I would also like to share that "Special Staff Members" make for "Special Stays"!  On a recent stay in Branson, Mo., I had a great chance to chat with "The Pool Caretaker, and later that day with the Maid".  These were "Real people" doing their best for other guests and myself for a fair price, that's all we can ask for.  Sure, there are lower priced, and higher priced places, but I have found very little relationship with what the room costs, and my enjoyment of the experience while there.

Well as one of my fellow MRI states, "Just my opinion"!

Have similar experiences you would like to share?

Thank-you for listening!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
  • Re: 30 Years "Today" in Marriott Rewards!
    erc Platinum

Great stuff jerry. Like they sang in "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown"; My new philosophy!
    Whenever you're in/near the nation's capital, give us local Insiders a shout, we'll do a get together.

Congratulations on your 'length of service' and thanks for your many terrific insights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

"You're a good man, erc"!

Thanks for your many contributions, especially your making others and me, "Have a laugh, at some of your travel experiences!  Please keep the information coming!

PTDC0051.JPG

erc, this might be a good place for all MRI's to get together!

sg1974 Gold

Jerry,

Always good to hear your opinion.

You are extremely knowledgeable and well traveled and there aren't many places you haven't been!

I would agree that in my short time of staying at Marriotts that consistency is something I value.

Congratulations on your achievement.

Perhaps a special roady award for this?

There would be some great stories if you manage to meet up with the man ERC.

SG

sg1974,

Thanks for your comments.  Your insights are especially helpful and valuable to others and myself.

IMG_3240.JPG

sg, I know where we will want to get together next time!

IMG_0258.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
      London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

congratulations and and thank you for your many contributions to this site. As a relative newbee (sic) (under 10) I have benefitted greatly from your and others post.   Thank and heres to the next 30!

shashack,

Thank-you!

Can you take over for the next "30"!

I'll do the best I can, but don't count on me for another 30!

Please keep up the contributions on MRI.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

congratulations Jerry. That is a great testimony to the program as you would not have stayed as long with it if you had not felt you were gleaming benefits in which case sounds like stem mainly from the great people and service you have come to know and appreciate. I have only been an MR member for 15 years, but have seen many changes along that time frame...some for the better and some not so much. But as you so eloquently put it, relationships, service and loyalty mean alot even in this day and time.

Thanks for your wonderful input over the years I have been on the site. I have learned alot from you and know that will continue for many years to come. Keep on keepin' on? Isn't that the saying from one of the favorite MRI's?

madmax,

Thanks so much!

BTW, your posts are anything, but MAD! 

Thank-you for the contributions and travel stories on MRI!

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Yep, there have been very, very, very few rough patches in my Marriott experience. People are people and there are a few bad characters in every bunch, but we cannot allow the idiots to ruin our great experiences with the entire Marriott brand. Happy thirty to ya.

barrpat,

Thanks! 

So well put by you!   Yes. there are a few "Set-backs", but overall, there have been some wonderful experiences along this ride!

barrpat, please keep your "Cards and letters" coming on MRI!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Congrats JC,

It has been a mutually gratifying relationship for 30 yrs no doubt. Marriott is lucky to have you.

painedplatinum,

Thank-you for your kind comments!  Sadly, (For another well known hotel chain), as the market changed, so did I.  Changed to Marriott, and as a customer, it has been a good move.  The only company I have been a customer longer is AMEX, and have been with them for over 40 years!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Would you believe AMEX for 45 years?  I belonged to Diner's Club for a while and they somehow pissed me off.  Probably something minor but they lost a lot of business to AMEX.  Don't remember when I started with MR.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Best wishes to you, jerrycoin, on this Marriott milestone!  Thank you for your insights, advice and humor.  Can't wait for your next 30!

Sledchick,

Thank-you!

Enjoy your part of the country and used to drive from Concord (FF/CY) to Littleton (Coin).  What a wonderful, scenic experience.  Used to stop and marvel at "The Old Man of the Mountain", and it sure looked good on your "State Quarter"!

Jerry, congrats on your 30 years and your delightful post.  I have no idea how long I've been an MR member, but as you so elegantly articulated CONSISTENCY has also been my primary motivation for staying loyal to the brand.  Good luck on your next 30!

bpelican,

Thank-you as well!

Wonderful photo in your profile!

Keep us in touch with your travel activities, and have a great Thanksgiving, and trip!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Congratulations Jerry!  You know I have, and always will, consider you of the very best on and off of MRI.  You remain a huge inspiration to us all!

tryt53,

Thank-you!  Likewise, thank-you for all of your contributions.  Hope to get back to The NW and enjoy all of the wonderful area and get together with MRI like yourself.  Always wanted to make it nearby to see "The Pioneer Museum and Ohop Indian Village"!

Thanks again!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Congratulations on this huge achievement!!!  Keep following your Dr's medication and you'll make another 30 years.   And here I thought my double digit years were huge, pale in comparison.

I have enjoyed reading each and every post I find of yours, they are always full of great information, wonderful pictures and a warm heart willing to help anyone from your vast experiences and knowledge.  Your banter is always appreciated, your grilling concepts so very special and your can do attitude is contagious.

Thanks for making the Insider Community a better place, and as I steal a phrase from our friend ERC, "keep on keepin on"

IAHFLYR,

You make going to "Houston" a wonderful demand on me.  Ms. Coin has never been to Texas and I can't wait to take her and I only hope we can have some time to have a laugh or two together! 

Would love to dine at Tony's or someplace up in The Woodlands area.  Had a wonderful dinner once at The CC there, and Carl, the host, made it a wonderful experience!  Can't wait to get back!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerry: congrats on this longevity (both in years of age, travel years and Marriott years!). I have always enjoyed your posts, positive outlook and good demeanor. You are a true Gentleman. I guess am I am a mere piker, only 12 years in Marriott (Big time in Hyatt before that), but I do have 32 years with American Express as my travel and personal card (starting back with the Green, and oh, what a story I could tell about how I was able to get that card, while still in college and working part time and making, maybe, $5K/year!). As we say in my tribe, mazel tov and happy chanusagiving (tonight is the first night of Channukah), and for those who feel so moved, light the Turkey Menorah tonight!. Jerry, all the best and may you live long and prosper..

stelzer001,

Thank-you for the kind words, they really brought a "Smile" to my face!

I used to work in Greenwich, (CT), with Chesebrough-Ponds, in the old days.  Loved the town and area.

Please "Catch-up" with me in years!  I want to put them on "HOLD"!

Happy Holidays, stelzer001!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You make it down here with her and we will find a place to share in our medication, dine and laugh.  I'd be honored to have you two in The Woodlands or anyplace for that matter. 

Did the Doctor just order some more pills this early in the morning? Tomato juice mix, Tito's......some vegetables, splash of Worcestershire, little hot sauce......oh baby!

IAHFLYR,

Yes, the "Prescription" has been placed!

Getting ready to head to Rome, will have a little "Medication" on the plane!

Happy Holiday's!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Wow 30 years!  Marriott needs to name a hotel after you or something!  I remember when I first joined Insiders a couple of years ago I found your posts not only very helpful but also positive and insightful.  You have been a great contributor to the Insiders Community and I want to thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge and expertise.

Keep up the good work and Happy Holidays!!

Scott

Vaboywnder,

Thank-you so much!

Maybe in my next life I can own a Marriott franchise?  If so, I would have to think about where I would want it?

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Jerry,

MRI & all of us are fortunate to have you! Your zest for living, the spirit of good will that you share and the sincerity in all your posts is a constant that is truly appreciated.

Give the "puppy" dogs a pat from me & Happy Thanksgiving!!

77paris,

Will give everyone a "Hug" this Thanksgiving!

Why not?  Feel so fortunate.  Enjoy the postings from you and the many wonderful people on MRI!

Thank-you!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Congrats jerrycoin!  Keep up the great work!  It's thanks to you and many others like you on this awesome site that I was able to pull of my European tour last month!  Do take "Dr. IAHFLYR's" orders to heart, as I'd like you to be around for another 30 years!  And after meeting the great erc & co, I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the gang that I've gotten to know so well! 

kh,

Thanks so much!

You really helped make my Rome trip with your recommendation on room 620 at The Grand Flora!  That is one of the real assets of MRI, as "How would I have known"?  That recommendation really helped make my trip very special.

Thanks again!

IMG_3474.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
      Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
        psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

jerrycoin, I am staying at the Grand Flora for the first week of April this year.  So, I should ask for 620?  How far in advance did you put in your request?  Is it considered an upgrade room?  I will still be platinum.

psudad,

I did not ask for an upgrade, and I stayed on points.  They were more than happy to help me!

They thought they were giving me a nice corner room (418) with windows on two sides.  It did have a nice view, but was really noisy, so I asked to move.  Thanks to KH, he had spoke of room 620 and had stayed there just prior to my arrival.

PSU what I really liked about the room was not only the quietness, but it had a nice sitting room that was perfect to relax in and enjoy a comped full breakfast each morning.  That allowed you to relax as you ate, and get ready to enjoy your day.

If you have your confirmation number, consider emailing the Concierge at:

concierge@grandflora.net

Personalize your request by introducing yourself (Feel free to use my name) and address the request to:

Alessandra

or

Max

IMG_3505.JPG

Remember the time change from the USA and try to contact them during normal business hours!

You can also arrange to have your group picked up for a fee at The Rome Airport (85 Eu), a taxi is around 50 Eu.  Good luck, and feel free to contact me directly for detailed information on shopping, dining, sightseeing and information on a private guide, if you desire!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry I would have given you the presidential suite based on your kindness and great attitude!  Consider it done!!!!

Thank-you anadyr!

You should be "Celebrating" your 30th by now!  Congratulations!

BTW, only experience one "Presidential Suite" in my tenure, and that was San Diego Marina Marriott.  It was unforgettable!

P1010168.JPG

This room had two floors and windows on three sides of the room!  Wonderful place@

Location Brand Hotel
              San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Happy 40th MR anniversary.  Room looks spectacular, what a great upgrade!

bpelican,

It's only the 30th!  I am over the hill, but let's not push it!

Here are a couple of more photo's from The Presidential Suite at The Marriott Marina in San Diego:

P1010167.JPG

Part of the first floor!

P1010181.JPG

The view from the balcony! (Western side of room)

P1010185.JPG

View of the San Diego Padres Stadium form the Eastern side of the room!

That was a wonderful trip and the room really made it memorable!

Jerry,

How far in advance would you reach out to them.  We are currently about 60 days out.  We are going to put in our preference for a room, have them make dinner reservations for 6 nights, and make some museum reservations, as well.  And I will definitely reference you.  Do they know you as Jerry?

Thanks, in advance.

psudad!

I like to inform the hotel 2 weeks out, via Concierge!  Grand Flora is"

concierge@grandhotelflora.net

A couple of things,and yes they will know me:

You should consider having you and whoever you are traveling with, Picked up at the Rome airport and driven directly to the hotel.  Yes, it is a little more than a taxi, but it is "Hassle Free", and you can put the charge on your room.

Secondly, I would email a copy of this post (Or my Roman Holiday Post) to the concierges and introduce yourself.  You may want to provide a photo of yourself to them as well.  When I did, and arrived at the GF, they said "Welcome Mr. Morgan", The trip just got even better after that "Welcome"!

Alessandra, Max, or any of them there are very special.  BTW, I loved 620, and so did KH, but you may want to see the room first.  It's windows are on the courtyard, so if you want to see the street it may not be for you.  But I warn you, the street rooms can be noisy.

Please let me know if I can help with any other details!

Please review the "Roman Holiday" post I made and check out others posts on Rome.  You are in for a wonderful trip!

Jerry,

Thanks.  I will absolutely take your advice.  620 sounds good to me.  I like having some room to sit around and have a glass of wine in the evening or coffee in the morning.  I am more interested in a large bed, quiet and room to move around more than view.  We can get the view at breakfast and our walks around town.  I've never sat in a room and admired the view more than a few seconds.  We are always out and about and spend little time in the room.  Great idea about the picture, too.  Very nice touch.  Thanks!

IMG_3611.JPG

psudad, here is where you will want to get your wine!  Good chianti by the bottle is less than most places for a glass!  8 Euros will get you a nice bottle, and the place is just out the "Back door" of the Grand Flora, (On the resterant side).  They are extremely nice to Americans and have a wonderful food selection as well!  Grazzi!

Excellent  Sounds like my kind of place.  We will arrive in the morning, at 9:10 into FCO, will probably take The Leonardo Express train, non-stop from the terminal to Termini (they run every thirty minutes, it's only a 30 min ride at 14 Euro each.  Will either walk the mile from there or take a cab, depending on how we feel).  It will be too early for lunch, so we thought, following check in, we'd pop over to Lotti for a caffe, snack and to pick up some wine for the room.  Then, we'll walk down to the Campo de Fiori area for lunch at Ristorante - Roma - Trattoria der Pallaro.  We have had friends go there and enjoyed the experience.  No menu, you eat what they are serving.  We have been doing our dining homework and have a number of places picked out.  Most of the dinners will be within a walk to the hotel.  We found after walking 5-10 miles a day around a city, it is nice to have a short walk back to where we are staying after dinner.  I know, on our last night, which is Friday during Lent, we will be eating at Ristorante cucina tipica sarda sardo a roma | Ristorante Sardegna.  Looks like a great seafood place a short walk away. One of the few dinners away from the neighborhood will be at Felice a Testaccio - Sito Web Ufficiale - Via Mastro Giorgio, 29 00153 Roma Tel. 06 57.46.800 info@feliceatestaccio.it.  We may also revisit {Sacro e Profano Ristorante Pizzeria} where we celebrated our 25th anniversary, with our kids, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.  We also plan on going to these two spots.  Osteria 44 - Via Aureliana 44, Roma  and Girarrosto Fiorentino - una scelta di gusto | Via Sicilia 46 - 00187 Roma, tel +3906.42880660, fax +3906.42010078, info@girarrostofiorentino.it - Sempre Aperti. There is one other, I will share when I find the list.  We also picked out a number of lunch spots, some we have visited before.  We'll map out our activities for the day and then have two lunch spots we'd be interested in visiting in that area, and pick the one that appeals to us most, that day.  Last time we were in Rome (2011), we had a few great lunches at some very Roman (locals) restaurants - one down an alley (Taverna Romana - via della Madonna dei Monti 79) off Via Cavour a short walk from the Forum and another one, a few blocks west of Piazza Navonna at Via del Governo Vecchio 19/20 called Da Tonino.

If you or others have an reviews of the places we have picked out, please share them.  We based the selections on things I have seen on insiders, what we know of the areas from past visits and reviews from TripAdvisors and other publications.  Wish it weren't 2 months away.

psudad,

That sounds like a great plan!

Don't forget to stop by "The BK Lounge", on your walk to The Trevi Fountain!  Great place for a "Pit Stop"!

IMG_3645.JPG

You are in for a wonderful time!

Yeah, might pass on BK or Mickie D's.  Don't visit them here, sure won't there, unless we're looking for a restroom.    I remember there is a McDonalds on one side of the Spanish Steps and Babbington's Tea Room on the other side.  Actually had breakfast at Babbington's in the 80's.  Should  have known better but really just wanted a traditional english breakfast.

Jerry,

It's the least I can do for all that you've done for me!  Glad you liked the room!  And yes, Insiders has proven to be my most valuable travel advice/review site!

erc Platinum

kharada46

We of course, had a great time with you and along those lines, even though Marriott remains a superb provider of quality service, I recommend you maintain your loyalty to individuals, rather than corporate entities (which Marriott itself is virtually guiding you to do). jerrycoin, anadyr, myself and scores of others in this forum have been with Marriott since the beginning of their loyalty programs - Honored Guests, Marquis Club, Rewards, etc etc (longer than you've been breathing) and times, as they often must, do change.

Just as I would advise hard charging 'masters of the universe' like yourself to maintain respectful, but arms length, relationships with their employers, I share with you the observation that the days of counting on reciprocal concern for each others' well being are pretty much over, protect yourself at all times.

"Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand"  .

ps- congrats jerrycoin, speaking of grasshoppers, let's stage our 50th MRI reunion at an Elon Musk spacex property

erc,

Agreed.  I hold no hard loyalty to Marriott, though they are my preferred lodging company at present.  I have been evaluating others, though, so I'm ready in case more negative changes occur that justify a switch.  But the wonderful resource that is Insiders and the great people that contribute to it will keep me involved with Marriott no matter what. 

This is true as well.  I find it ironic that many businesses complain about the lack of loyalty of my generation, though, many (but not all) employers do not reciprocate concern for their employees as you mention.  This is even true of NPOs now days... I should know!   

Anyway, have fun on your final day on the island!  Have a safe trip back home, and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future be it in Hawaii, DC or some other place in the world! 

Congrats on the 30!  I dragged my feet for 4 years, before I hopped on.  Been in the program for 26.

psudad,

Thank-you on the congratulations!

One never knows what "Small doors will open to big rooms"!

Joining Marriott Rewards has turned out to be just that.  The joy from meeting, sharing, or encouraging other MRI travelers has been vastly rewarding!

Actually been in the program 27, per a recent email they sent.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I've been traveling on business for some 50 years but only with Marriott Hotels as preferred place to stay overnight for past 10-15 years. I've used Holiday Inn (and H.I. Express), Hilton (and Hampton Inn), Hyatt, Wyndam Hotel, and a few others, but keep coming back to Marriott for their consistency, personal service, staff friendliness (from front desk to room maids), and variety of accommodations. Your achievement and dedication to the Marriott chain is a testimony of their quality and service!

Fred

Jerry,  Thanks for the info and contacts.  Curious, was the comped breakfast room service or did you go get it and bring it back?  I was assuming, as Platinum, we would get breakfast upstairs in the restaurant - with a few.  Speaking of views, does 620 have one?

Thanks again,

psudad,

They brought the full breakfast down to 620 and I just give a gratuity for the fine service.  I never even made it up to the breakfast room, which I understand was very nice!

620 does not have a view of anything other than the courtyard area of the hotel.  You do get natural light.  The room is on the top floor and most peaceful.

Hope this helps!

PS:  You can always take a look at any room prior to committing to stay in it!

Great info.  Thanks.  And good point about peeking at the room first. 

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Congratulations on your achievement, and actually remembering your 1st stay!

I know I joined somewhere back in the 1980s, but I dod not remember when or where.

Thanks GP!

Also a special thanks for your wonderful work on the posts of The Grand Flora!  Most helpful!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Maybe Marriott Insiders should consider celebrating anniversary dates.  I know we do at the office.  We officially recognize people on their 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 year anniversaries.  Its announced in staff meetings.  They get to select a gift out of the catalogue, and they get a budget to plan a lunch or dinner with colleagues.  Of course both the gift and the budget gets larger with the more years you are celebrating. 

I think its a really nice way to acknowledge people, and their participation.  I also find I learn alot about that person, because part of the announcement is not only acknowleding their years  of service, but also giving a brief bio about them, their accomplishments, interests, etc

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

totally agree so many organizations miss opportunities to say thanks . I use to call people in my organization that achieved 20/25/30 years personally and I had several thousand employees. the news then traveled fast  it was well worth my time. Take care of your customers and employees and business will prosper

jerryl,

"So well put!

How much effort does it take, or cost, to be kind and appreciative?

paulaw Member

Congrats to you jerry and you clearly know a winning horse when you see one.  A Marriott employee once said to me that they believed in the whole concept of 'the Marriott way' - it was said in a gentle and non-fanatical way which was a major factor in me becoming loyal to the brand, this person had nothing to gain by sharing this with me but his understated passion for his job spoke volumes in assuring that Marriott knew and appreciated that their reputation and future success was mainly down to making their staff positive and happy.

Your post was truly uplifting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...