25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2013 10:13 AM by anadyr RSS

Tire Rotation, Airport Ratings and TSA Screenings

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Sometimes you the most interesting things in the tire rotation place.

Yesterday having the tires rotated on the beast, I read a current edition of Travel and Leisure Magazine, in which US and international airports were rated based on several categories. Ben Gurion Airport in Israel was at the top of the list for security. At the same time the GAO reported that TSA has wasted nearly a billion dollars on profiling, since they could provide no evidence that it actually was better than chance.

Now my tires are properly inflated and my suspicions about airports have been confirmed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tire Rotation, Airport Ratings and TSA Screenings
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

There's always Greyhound…...

After 5 million + air miles, a great amount of those domestic, I can say that I feel sufficiently secure and would rather not have any additional security measures imposed upon me.  In cases like this, it is very difficult to prove a negative.  TSA, to put it lightly, has it's blemishes, but with pre check now available mostly everywhere, travel is becoming tolerable again, and I cannot believe that some kooks are not put off by the extra scrutiny.  Is it worth it?  Hell, I don't know.  How do you quantify worth in this case??

Just my opinion.

Safe travels to All

Shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

As I go for my GOES interview tomorrow, I am thankful that TSA requirements are in place but that I can make it a little easier to tolerate by going through the easy line. YES, if there is just an iota of a chance that 1% of 1% of terrorist acts or acts of stupidity such as the LAX incident a week or so back can be deterred and I can feel safer than before they were in place, I will gladly go the extra mile and a half to get through security. Is it perfect? Back to the LAX incident...NO. Is it being modified every time something like that happens...YES. Do I feel safer flying than I did post 911...Absolutely! Do I think there have been some incidents that have been thwarted by TSA personnel? YES, I honestly do. Do I think it is foolproof? NO, absolutely not.

This is by no means a perfect world and we have to do what we can while we are on it to get past the BAD that we face every day...whether it be taking off a pair of shoes and unloading a laptop to waiting for tires to be rotated knowing that still doesn't make it entirely safe to drive. At least the security issue is actually trying to help the innocent...unlike most laws and regulations out there that are aimed in the wrong direction, usually for the bad guys and not the innocent.

just my humble(?) opinion

erc Platinum

1) First off, this shows me what type of Tire Rotation locales you left coast lovers of cars utilize; heck, where I get my tires rotated has a month old Sports Illustrated, half of the weekend paper, and a Good Housekeeping magazine with Laura Bush on the cover (some good 'rush hour' recipes).

2) Whereas I'm comfortable with shoeman's position, I wished the government had taken that approach before investing/wasting the billion dollars.

3) From what I've read over the years, I'm confident Israel's system is effective and I agree, you can't necessarily argue the counterfactual of whether it would have been with or without the techniques America wasted a billion on. Unfortunately, as a beltway resident, I've observed firsthand, that's about all that's done in DC, arguing over the difficult to disprove and using it as a defense for ineffectiveness.

Someone else's chauffeur was reading the Robb Report so I had to settle for T and L or the Patek Philippe mag,( which I had already read) I chose T and L.  And the tire place provides compressed Bavarian Air for the Benz, so that's why I go there.  Unfortunately the Latte Machine was on the fritz so I had to sip the organic, sustainable forest stuff.  Alas and alack!

Now as for the TSA, my feeling has always been that the whole screening regimen is upside down at airports. By inconveniencing all, the few ne'erdowells, are comfortable, as shown by recent tragic events, that they can cause mayhem and even death. Israel figured it out after a horrendous incident, and thus far (fingers crossed) it is working.  A much smaller universe to be sure, but a model that we might want to emulate.  Ask questions, understand what the answers mean, evaluate the person answering--it's not that hard.

Just my take

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"Ask questions, understand what the answers mean, evaluate the person answering--it's not that hard."

Isn't that what the TSA profilers are doing...or at least supposed to be?  Interesting how so many people can be satisfied just by not having to take their shoes off. 

According to the GAO Report the metric used by TSA to prove this worked was no better than random, or chance.  Not a good thing.  As a former interrogator I can attest to the need to "read" pmag..jpgeople not only in what they say but how they say it.  Also body language is important, having multiple questioners, etc.

I am not a TSA fan, but it is better than nothing.

I heard the same news report.  And I'm not defending waste by TSA or any other government office.  In fact, the GAO ranks right there with the worst of them.  But I am a fan of whatever keeps us safe.  And I feel pretty safe, flying or otherwise.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I bet the Israeli people asking the questions also have more training, schooling in general, and intelligence than the ones I've seen at the airports in this country.

Another thing going for Israel is it's small size, although that's also a hazard for them, but not as many airports are having to be watched.

Is harassing the masses while having PC rule the day really better?

Most of the questioners in Be Gurion have had extensive training in deception, and information gathering. They like most Israelis, have had compulsory military service. We could scale this up, given the large number of vets leaving the military these days, and really make TSA worth it.

So I get it that you don't like TSA.  But why do you insult those agents by questioning their intelligence and accusing them of a kindergarten type of mentality?  That sounds very condescending and elitist.  Interestingly, some years ago while I was serving 3 consecutive tours in various parts of SE Asia there werre people here in the US who didn't know me or my fellow airmen but chose to belittle and condemn us too.  Wasn't right then and it's not right now.  What have you actually done to try to change the system that you think is broken and being operated by those whose intellignece you question?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I read the same article and honestly have never thought much of the TSA.  For the most part I think we are safer for some of the security measures put in place but generally the TSA does not inspire confidence for me.  Most of the ones I run into in my travels are nice enough but seem to lack a general bearing you would expect from a "federal law enforcement officer".  In fact many of them seem to have met the bare minimum requirements for a governmental post (mirror test) which is likely why I have lower confidence in them.

Having logged over 1M+ air miles, I've come to the conclusion that if the TSA is the group that stops a terrorist event, it was doomed from the start.  They are simply there to provide the appearance of security to the public while enforcing the reactionary legislation of our government.  Do I feel safer with them there than if they weren't there at all, yes for sure.  They do a great job of stopping the stupid people from doing things and making sure you aren't trying to take a 4 body suitcase with you as a carryon

As for the pre line, I used to love this perk of elite travel status.  These days though I see more and more general public folks getting "randomly" picked to go through the pre lines.  These random picks also have netted some foreign nationals with foreign passports.  I'm not sure how exactly this works but from the face of it, it seems they are opening the door for the chance of something less great to happen.  I don't think they really have a good grasp on it, rather they want more people using it to justify its growth/existence.

I dont know of a better way to do it but certainly there are opportunities for enhancing the way we are fleeced and "secured" when traveling by air.  I for one would have no problem with the TSA actually profiling people, if that profiling was based on merits rather than prejudices.  You've never heard of a plane flying out of Israel being hijacked or blown up and they profile every single thing that walks, crawls, rolls into their facility. 

And for Greyhound... just wait til some terrorist weenie decides to attack via one of those "soft targets" (bus, train, water ways, etc) and takes out an entire neighborhood or city.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...