5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2013 1:43 PM by nuhusker RSS

The Future is Now

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Here's an insightful article about a true industry titan, Bill Marriott Jr.

http://www.hotelnewsnow.com/Article/12643/Bill-Marriott-pursues-millennials

It certainly makes sense for Marriott to strengthen where the future of the industry is headed. Shareholders, without a doubt, cannot be disappointed in the recent excellent 12 month performance. Selfishly, I'm hoping for an 'old school' balance of customer service recognizing long time Marriott loyalist value while pursuing the tremendous potential of the future traveler.

A paragraph that caught my attention (and has always been true about Mr. Marriott)

Marriott may have the pulse on the future of the hotel industry and the company that bears his name, but he’s decidedly old school on matters he believes count the most: his personal credo of taking care of associates who in turn will take care of the guests.

Here's hoping that without him roaming the properties like in days past, the spirit to serve lives on.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Future is Now
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

A good read.  It is nice to read Mr. Marriott wants that smiling face to greet the guests and have happy associates in the properties as it sure gives a much better first impression when you arrive.  We all know about the speed or lack of when it comes to WiFi, so good to learn technology is high on their list of priorities. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for this post.  I'm glad he's not forgetting the old folks as well as servicing the Millennials. 

erc Platinum

My concern over the past couple of years since the change in leadership, is that in the successful drive to pursue the highest level of earnings, theoretically leading to the highest multiples, leading to the highest stock valuation (which as a shareholder, I certainly don't oppose), the new regime has often IMO, gotten too clever by half in some of their pricing or Rewards program management.  Bill Marriott, as most all can attest to, was a formidable competitor and a tremendous producer of value, often through hard nosed negotiations, but you always felt like through his attitude toward employees, he had the customer in mind.

I'm not seeking any namby-pamby kumbaya moment. I would just like to at least avoid my current feeling that if I don't check every nook and cranny of the pricing matrix or T & Cs of the Rewards program, I stand the chance of getting hosed. I'm somewhat expecting along the lines of Cash + Points, or $10 F & B coupon w/strings attached in lieu of wine/beer and cheese/snacks platter, our next 'enhancement' is the BOPO program. Stay two nights at a Marriott and you can Buy One night with cash, Pay for the Other with your credit card .

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I understand your concern.  Before I left the proverbial "rat race," I saw up close and personal the pressure put on a CEO to achieve or exceed the bottom line.  Unfortunately, some CEOs see an inconsistency between "happy" employees (resulting in happy customers) and achieving forecasts (short and long-term).  I saw yearly forecasts become quarterly forecasts become monthly forecasts become almost daily forecasts.  Made for a nice environment (ho ho).  IMO guys like Bill Marriott saw no inconsistency and hopefully his influence affects the new regime.  Any way, when can I sign up for your BOPO program?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"I'm not seeking any namby-pamby kumbaya moment. I would just like to at least avoid my current feeling that if I don't check every nook and cranny of the pricing matrix or T & Cs of the Rewards program, I stand the chance of getting hosed."

erc

Bullseye!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...