24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 2:17 PM by iahflyr RSS

Mobile Check-in

wtbauer Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have used mobile check-in at 2 hotels that I frequently stay at - one in California and one in DC - in both cases my room was ready when I arrived AND in both cases the room assigned to me was the worst room I have ever had (low floor, no view, no balcony, etc.) I have ever had at each of those hotels.  For now, I will forgo mobile check-in.  Are others having the same experience?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Mobile Check-in
    nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Just last month I used mobile check-in for the Victoria Inner Harbour Marriott in Victoria, BC. I was travelling over via ferry from Port Angeles, WA. For me, it worked very smoothly. I was given a lovely room with a balcony facing the Empress and the Parliament Buildings. The key was ready when I arrived. Also of note, the restaurant food is excellent in my opinion and the Concierge Lounge has lovely views and very hearty offerings for breakfast and in the evening.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sounds like a good hotel and a good stay, Nanaglo.  Thanks for the report.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Both times I have used mobile check-in I've been pleasantly surprised as it all worked, room upgrade and also a quick key ready for us to be off to the elevator.  That said, it is my experience and not what all Insiders have found I would bet.

erc Platinum
    I haven't used mobile check-in yet, so I too am very interested in everyone's experiences, thanks for posting. I couldn't find this post in Activity (and I had just seen it, earlier this morning). I now realize what madmax was writing about when she highlighted that without signing in,you can't use Activity, and without keeping the hotel reviews, you can only scroll back a few posts, so I struggled finding this post (and questions are even harder to find since they don't have a scrolling link of their own).
    Anyway to get back to mobile check in; out of fear that this post will just fade away, here's an additional mobile check in issue: has anyone used these mobile only apps in Last Minute bookings (hotel tonight - noon the day of / hipmunk 3 days in advance)? I'm hoping by keeping the post in view, we'll get more answers about the Marriott check-in experiences. So join in folks, keep this post alive. I'd like to know the odds before I leave the comfort of my low tech A.G.Bell jitterbug type cell phone. Thanks wtb for posting.

IAHFLYR  - as my high tech guru (a lawnmower gives me trouble while you man the big jets) how about test 'flying' these (perhaps not as risky as Chuck Yeager, but still greatly appreciated, you don't have to book the room, just check the rates, see what's what - thanks)

Me, high tech????  Not so much.....for me a tool that you use to put a screw into a wall is high tech!

erc Platinum

Uh oh, well that's another fine mess I've gotten us in. I know this mobile check-in is the future and I picture myself waiting in line in the lobby for my murphy bed hotel room over the air conditioner units, next to the ice machine. As General McAuliffe said, "Nuts".

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

erc I found the same thing with the latest update.  In my opinion, the default should be without reviews since that is what we were all complaining about.  If I select WITHOUT REVIEWS, I only get a few posts and so am still missing most. merb

I am not interested in Mobil Checkin as of now but will follow the posts until they disappear.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I haven't done it yet for the following reasons:

--I assume I will get a better room if I check-in at the front desk.

--I want to see how good the front desk is because it may influence if I stay at that property again.

--Check-in at the front desk is already pretty quick and I have encountered long lines only a few times.

erc Platinum

This is the way I'm currently leaning. As a late adopter, ironically, learning early on from Mr. Marriott of all folks, that "there are a lot of pioneers with arrows in their back", I'm going to wait until nanaglo's and iahflyr's outcome is more the rule than the exception. Of course, if all the great rooms start going to the mobile players (the new target audience), then I'd better be prepared to jump on the bandwagon, thus my interest in monitoring current results. Thanks all.

Good points misterchk and marriottmember about human interaction (I'm leisure travel finally, so what the heck, people are part of the experience...now ).

I will get another chance soon to use the mobile check-in again at the PDX City Center location, so I'll let ya know the results if I can remember.

erc Platinum

As mobile gadgets become bigger, some companies abandon Web sites altogether - The Washington Post

This appears to be where it's all headed. The only thing that may keep desktop (and therefore, front desk human contact) in the game is what the last few paragraphs talk about; millions of workers still use desktops at work. Marriott, having a legacy business, most likely won't eliminate desktop usage, but I'm confident they will be (and can certainly understand why) an aggressive leader in mobile app techniques.

erc Platinum

Just watched on CNBC, Jonathan Tisch, CEO of Loews Hotels and he discussed how they are moving to social media for reservations and cancellations

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/hotels/2013/11/14/loews-hotels-twitter-booking/3515395/

Please come visit me, I'll be the low tech guy in the room near the laundry chute and icemaker .

Don't forget in the room with rabbit ears near the stairs.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

All very good points.  Thanks for post.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Just remember that if we do NOT like the room we're pre-assigned, we can always ask to be moved to another 'better' room. I certainly have used that option more than once after checking in directly at the front desk usually with quite good results (as opposed to the mobile check-in which as I already reported I was given an excellent accommodation in the first place and didn't need to ask to be moved).

Platinum 28 Reviews

nanaglo45

I believe that you are missing the point.

Mobile Check in was intended to make traveling easier - not harder! 

When I arrive at a hotel after a long flight and/or a long business day, the last thing I want to do is go up to a room, decide I don't approve, go back downstairs and change.  ESPECIALLY  when the hotel was insensitive to the status I have achieved being loyal to their brand.

I reiterate, until the hotel's systems are programmed to identify it's important customers MOBILE CHECK ISN'T IN THE BEST INTEREST  of Platinum  members.

ARRIVE AT THE HOTEL - GO TO THE FRONT DESK - SAY HERE I AM - GIVE ME THE BEST ROOM YOU HAVE - FINISHED!!!!!!!!!

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

No, I don't think I missed the "point".  As I said in my first response far above, my experience, though only once thus far, was EXCELLENT. I think everyone might consider giving mobile check-in a try once or twice and then decide for themselves before they throw in the towel.

I think that's a good plan.  I'm afraid our satisfaction will depend on how consistent the desk Associate recognizes our status in assigning an appropriate upgrade.

erc Platinum

Yes, and everyone please stop back to this post and let us know how you early adopters fare. Man, I just barely learned how to program my VCR. That smart phone intimidates me, so if I'm going to buck up and face that learning curve, I want to make certain you guys are satisfied with your outcomes. Thanks

I've used it a few times and got a moderately good room, nothing exciting.  Don't know if I'll use it again because IMO you lose some leverage to get a better upgrade when you're not there in person.

Platinum 28 Reviews

bpelican

Note my comment above to nanago45!  You and I  are on the same page (as all of us should be).

the only way we get recognition is to let them know their "impersonal systems" "AIN'T" working!

You're right on the money, misterchk

sunsoaker Platinum 3 Reviews

I have used it many times now. The hotel personnel states its easier for them to decide who goes where when you use it. Although I have not a very good experience with it at the hotel I stay at each week. I have had better experiences with it when I stay elsewhere. Its all hit or miss depending on the hotel. I really see no point in it.

crobs Gold 1 Reviews

Used it for the first time today. Got upgraded to concierge level without asking, but was slated for two queens. Asked for a king. Done. Easy. Oh, and I checked in 5 hours before posted check-in (during a Big 10 Football weekend.) I like it. Lots.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...