2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 9:57 PM by curiousone RSS

Planning a Las Vegas/Grand Canyon vacation next year

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm planning on taking my lovely bride on vacation next year to a couple of her bucket list destinations - Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.  She's never been to either.  I've been to the Grand Canyon (for a day - very much a "Clark Griswald" visit...) and never been to Vegas, although I've been to Reno a few times.

Anyway, my plan is to fly into either Phoenix or Vegas, rent a car, spend a few days at the ditch then Sin City (or vice versa) in about a week.

Any tips on what a "middle aged" (I'm 56, she's 47) couple should take in and what Marriott properties you've experienced in Phoenix, Flagstaff, Kingman, and Las Vegas?  Mind you, we're going to "cram" this into one week or maybe 10 days...

Thanks ya'll... I know some of you will come up with some great ideas and advice!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Planning a Las Vegas/Grand Canyon vacation next year
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hey captbigguy, check out this link Places to See from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon | USA Today

I would definitely see Hoover Dam if you don't go further into Arizona. If you are adventurous and want to try a train ride, check this out: Las Vegas to Grand Canyon by Train | USA Today

You certainly have your pick of hotels in Las Vegas. My recommendation at being to Vegas many times...stay at the cheapest Marriott, either Fairfield Inn or Courtyard or similar as you won't be in there except to sleep and back out to check out all the sites, peeps and glitz. Hotel rooms are overrated in Vegas...

There is also a Nascar track, Las Vegas Motor Speedway: Las Vegas Motor Speedway if you would have interest in either seeing a race or seeing the track.They may have tours available as some tracks do.

It's about 10 hours away but Carlsbad Caverns is certainly worth the visit if you are not claustrophobic:  Google

I am always in awe when I visit there, but that might be a little out of your reach in a week's time depending upon how long you will be in each place.

Hopefully some of this will be of use to you while planning your trip. Let us know how your planning is coming when you can.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Planning a Las Vegas/Grand Canyon vacation next year
    curiousone Platinum

If you fly into Phoenix and fly out of Vegas I would suggest that you check airline rates and rental rates when arriving and departing 2 different airports. I am thinking it might be lese expensive to fly in/out of Vegas and do a trip to GC. If I was making the trip I would drive direct from LV to GC and not stop in between. There is not a lot to see in Kingman in my opinion, just a gas stop to me. Flagstaff is between Phoenix and GC. While I agree with madmax that you will not spend a lot of time in your room, the Cosmopolitan is a great Marriott property with a great location on the strip. When my wife and I stayed there we had a room overlooking the Belagio fountains. We went to the CVS down the street, bought a bottle of campaign and drank it while sitting on the balcony of our room watching the Belagio fountains for a couple of hours.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...