8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 9:29 AM by iahflyr RSS

United Airlines Domestic First Class Meals or Lack Of!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In the FYI department for all you who have signed up as UA Premier Silver and if you should get an upgrade to Frist Class, hope this experience of ours helps.

We just returned from two flights on UA, both in First Class to a place we fly to quite often.  Last Friday afternoon on the flight we got "refreshments" which consists of a snack box the flight attendant brings around with potato chips, almonds, granola bars and the like.  Since we were arriving at 4:25 PM and the flight was 1+40 minutes we didn't expect anything else.

However; the return flight was leaving at 5:24 PM landing at 7:01 PM and one would think in First Class you will get a dinner of some sort.  Surprise......looks like UA is not service meals at mealtime for flights of two hour and under. This flight was longer than two hours when the flight attendant came around with our drinks I asked "anything to eat"?  She sheepishly replied "no I'm sorry" and explained the inbound flight was to have the snack box like we had on our outbound flight but it seemed the flight to get us ate them all, so we got nothing.  WHAT, First Class and you get nothing!! The flight attendant was extremely polite, apologetic and offered to go to the Economy cabin to get us the Tapas snack box they sell if we'd like to have it. 

We go the Tapas and it was fine as I'd much rather cook at home that evening even if later than eat most airline food.  Sad part is nobody knew of this sudden change in policy, not even the crew which I find completely unacceptable for management to leave them hanging out in the public as they seem to have done.  Not one of the passengers sitting around us had any news of this taking place either.  Having flown these flights numerous times it was a huge surprise and one most people will not prepare for by eating or bringing food with them.

Appears to be yet another way UA is hoping to attract customers and provide a "friendly"experience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
Fort Myers, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Fort Myers at I-75 and Gulf Coast Town Center
  • Re: United Airlines Domestic First Class Meals or Lack Of!

After a call to my Premier Customer Care line number and expressing the issue I got this email:

Thank you for your feedback today.

I did find some information that I wanted to pass on to you.

Effective November 1, 2013, we increased the minimum flight length for

full meal service in North and Latin America leisure markets.  Moving

forward, flights of 900 miles or more will have full meals at mealtimes,

while flights between 220 and 899 miles will have warm scones at

breakfast or a premium snack basket offered in the afternoon or evening.

We do plan to have several 700-899 mile ?carve-out? markets that retain

full meal service at mealtimes. 

The change was made as a competitive measure to offset rising costs and

better align our policies with the marketplace.

These updates will start to flow through the system over the next few

weeks?for the moment, they may display differently, depending on whether

you are booking a new ticket or looking at your flight on united.com

under ?My Reservations.?

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a

future United Airlines flight.

It might have been nice if they had communicated the changes before customers find out on their own.  May have to put erc on special assignment to find out why these companies refuse to communicate changes prior to the being effective!  HMMM

Appears like UA is needing to align their "friendly sky" campaign with their most loyal customers desires, oh wait neither them or some hotel chain show much of a desire to do that type of thing any longer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

Airlines are becoming cheap (specially in the US). Soon there will be no benefit in flying one airline or the other. Unfortunately, we do not have any other choice left as most other airlines (which are really good in providing good in flight service) do not operate within the continental US.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I have had nothing but bad experiences with United and will only fly again if forced to due to business reasons relative to flight availability.  I am waiting for when they begin to charge for use of the bathroom!!!

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

now that will be funny @ne_traveling_man ... imagine these guys with credit card machines ready to swipe you "in" and then charge you per minute spent... a while back when I was visiting paris I noticed that public restroom usage was charged by 10 FF per visit  (that was about 17 years back)... nowadays all these companies are doing is finding ways to charge their customers....

It will be only coin operated lavs......no credit allowed.  Oh, you want to actually have a seat belt (required by the FAA) you have to pay before we'll pass them out. 

I sure hope Slimzek (UA CEO) will let us transfer miles to Greyhound similar to what they slapped Marriott Elites with.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Your post reminded me of a Show I saw in NYC off BW called "Urine Town."  There was a national water shortage (no in home water allowed) and you had to line up to pay (no credit I believe) for toilet privileges.  Needless to say it was hilarious in a morbid sort of way.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Another reason to stop flying UA. You go through all the flights to get status, or redeem miles to take a vacation, and just when you are happy to be in a FC seat, they pull this. It is really sad. I have to say, UA just doesn't impress me at all. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I once flew with my wife from SFO to OGG and the first class seating was attrocious. The plane was a 757-300 and you could tell had never been refurbished. The seat squeaked every time I moved and it was very uncomfortable. I don't expect domestic FC to be the equivalent of long haul international FC of course but the seat, leg room, and meals are the major reasons why people go to FC. Once you take away the meals, now its only a seat and leg room. With the seats not being that great on UA metal anyway, now its just leg room. So I would rather just fly economy plus. 

Those B753's were bought from ATA by CO and have never been in my mind anything but a pig with lipstick.  Yes, those seats are horrible and the movement with the squeaks which makes me totally avoid a ticket on those planes.  If I was going from SFO-OGG I think I'd have routed myself through LHR rather than fly on that thing!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...