6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2013 10:25 PM by nuhusker RSS

National Museum of the Marine Corps - Virginia

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As I adjust my travel strategies to make the most of each trip, I have broaden my choices of lodging. Marriott remains my first choice, timeshares, VRBO, other chains, friends' homes and whereas I haven't tried Airbnb yet, I just might, given the right circumstances. One way to provide me the most options is of course to open up my home to friends and relatives (those with timeshares get the fancy soaps and towels). Friends are visiting this Veterans Day weekend, so we headed off to the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Triangle, Va. just down the road from the Quantico Marine Corp base. http://www.usmcmuseum.com/index.asp

I've been a few times and have driven by it on Interstate 95 scores of times with its exterior architecture designed to evoke the image of the flag raisers of Iwo Jima and it certainly does (see first photo below).

This is a very sophisticated museum with excellent and inspiring exhibits and is well worth a visit if you ever get an opportunity (admission is free, donations gladly accepted). It's never been crowded and is a pleasure to just immerse yourself in the impressive history of the Marines, truly making you proud to be an American. They have nice grounds with a walking path and a chapel which also hosts weddings. Two restaurants inside, a fast food and the Tun Tavern named after the site where the Marines held their first recruitment drive during the Revolutionary War. There are a few SpringHills and Fairfields up and down the Interstate within 8 miles and a brand new CY is due to open in December (and it appears to be on schedule) three miles down Rt. 1 and right behind the Globe and Laurel, a restaurant owned by a veteran Marine,  Major Richard Spooner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_T._Spooner which serves some fine sandwiches and brews along with the occasional fascinating story by the Major.

Some photos to give you a feel of the museum;

IMAG20601.jpg

Driving north - the museum evokes the raising of the flag - Iwo Jima

IMAG2032.jpg

IMAG2058.jpg

IMAG2045.jpg

From the Halls of Montezuma

IMAG2042.jpg

To the shores of Tripoli

IMAG2049.jpg

The original 2nd flag (1st too small) over Mt. Suribachi - Iwo Jima island

IMAG2051.jpg

85 year old Frank Matthews who spent 28 days fighting on Iwo Jima

http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/2011/04/29/bringing-history-to-life/

IMAG2055.jpg

IMAG2056.jpg

Tun Tavern (good food/brew), named after site of first Marine recruitment drive

Thank you Veterans for your service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: National Museum of the Marine Corps - Virginia
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

erc,

Great pictures and an excellent place to enjoy the Veteran's Day weekend paying tribute to our servicewomen and men across this great land and others.  For without our allies I can't imagine where we would be in the United States.

Thank you so much for posting these, and yes Thank You Veteran's for your service.

Semper Fi

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Erc,

Thanks for creating this outstanding post.  I very much appreciate it.  Your first photo is all that I've seen of the museum, which to my surprise, I recognized as we were driving down I-95 on our way to Richmond in September.  I truly cannot wait to visit it.  You're photos and descriptions have got me fired up.  Thanks again.

The photo below is my absolute favorite spot in Washington DC.  Love this memorial.

Iwo.jpg

Yes, Semper Fi!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Great post, great pictures, what a tribute to the Vets!  Thank you.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

erc, great report. And I especially salute Mr.Mattthews for his service.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...