9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 9:08 PM by john_thai RSS

Which Airlines Now Allow Electronic Devices?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yesterday (and the day prior) as I was flying low and slow in and out of San Diego, I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to use my cell phone to take some aerial snaps of some stellar scenery of the area: Point Loma, Coronado Island and the bridge connecting it to the city, the city skyline, the coastline, the gorgeous Balboa Park and near and dear to my heart, the Marine Base (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) which butts up to Lindbergh Field.  The sky was clear and the view of all these mentioned places was fabulous.

Nonetheless, I did not, knowing that if I got caught, I'd be PNG (passenger non grata) with the F/A's who had only moments prior explicitly forbidden the use of electronics during takeoff and landing, even though I recalled sg1974's post which let us know that the FAA has finally decided to relax it's policies regarding the use of in-flight electronic gadgetry.  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/93182#93182

Even though I was aware of the FAA's recent ruling, the airline I flew with had obviously not relaxed their rules and it got me wondering when this glorious day was going to happen.  Well indeed it has happened, but only with certain airlines on certain flights.  Here's the link to the article which provides the details.  Which airlines now allow electronic devices? - NBC News.com

Have you yet experienced a flight in which these rules have been relaxed?  If so, please share your experience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Which Airlines Now Allow Electronic Devices?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I am certain Delta and JetBlue were the first to allow the devices to be left on in airplane mode.

UA had a press release yesterday regarding this issue:  United Continental Holdings, Inc. - Investor Relations - News

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

2 comments. First, be careful taking photos from a plane. I know of several airports (not in the US) where it is a crime to photograph an airport. Homeland Security may start getting involved in the US. Of if you're flying low over a port or something that could also constitute a security or even legal breach.

Second comment is that the day the airlines start allowing people to use cell phones on air planes will be the day they start jury selection for my murder trial.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just take your pics pluto77, you're not going to have an issues once rolling down the runway or just after take-off.  I want to see them all!

John,

Your comments were intriguing.  I'm sure you're right about what to photograph and what not to.  One time I took a snap of the sign that just had the name of a military base on it (where my son-in-law was stationed in Germany) while driving by, and later when we got to the main gate, I was grilled by German security for it, and had to show them every photo I had taken with my camera and told not to take any more pictures of the base.  At least glad to know that they were earnest in doing their job.

So what is it about using cell phones on airplanes that would turn you murderous?  If it is the inconsiderate and loud talking, I'm with ya.  (It's so annoying on trains and busses.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I raised my camera for a photo of the logo on the outside wall of the US Embassy in Costa Rica and was surrounded in less than 10 seconds by guards looking rather agitated.

Sometimes I can be gullible.  Did they really? 

Yes, really. They explained that pictures were not allowed. I've come to find out that is true at all of our embassies. If you really want a picture, you need to sneak it from across the street.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

You got it. I remember sitting in a first class airline lounge in Lagos and the guy sitting next to me was literally screaming into his phone. I asked him to tone it down a bit and he just got angry.

Some people don't realize the core problem with cell phones. With a regular phone you get feedback. You hear your own voice as well as the other guy's. With cell phones you don't so you tend to start hollering expecting to hear something.

When I'm on a plane I judge the quality of the flight by one core criterium: Did I sleep? If I slept through the flight, it was a good flight. If I couldn't sleep because some knothead was yelling into his cellphone I may have a different opinion.

pluto,

I just received an email from USAir announcing the relaxed rule for small electronic, no laptops or bigger. This was for there regular USAir flights only at the timeof the note. It mentioned that they were working with the others, USAir Express for one, to get all of their subsidiaries up and running ASAP.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...