3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2013 1:02 PM by bpelican RSS

Difference in Point Required

bon551 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am looking to use points to stay 5 nights at Marriott's Cypress Harbour in June.  The chart indicates I need 140,000 points for my stay.  However, when I enter the dates to reserve my stay find I need 160,000 point (down from 180,000) and an e-certificate plus 2 upgraded certificates for each night.  Why the difference in points required and why do I need upgraded certificates?????

Any insight into this would be helpful.

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Difference in Point Required
    erc Platinum

Not knowing your dates or the rooms requested, here's my guess for what must be a Cat. 7 property (5 for 4 at 35k a night); the 20,000 reduction sounds like you hit a period where they are having the Seasonal Points Savers and the upgraded certificates per night appears you are moving from a standard (essentially a hotel room) to a 1 or 2 bedroom villa (I don't know the rooms offered).  This is not necessarily bad (that you can upgrade with points) if that's the size room you need. But why the 160 (180 - 20) instead of the 140 requires a Marriott researcher. merb can you provide some info on why a Cat. 7 would charge 180k pre point saver (Cat. 9) instead of the 140 (Cat.7), especially since they are also charging for the upgrades?

Of course, if all they offer is a 2 bedroom villa at that particular property, then it is somewhat disingenuous to quote you the lower rate until you click to reserve and then hit you with the upgrade - but I'm seeing more and more of this type of stuff (and I live in the weeds) throughout the pricing matrix on both price and points.

Good luck, hope you can work it out, let's see what merb finds out

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

I actually went and looked at the property which is plainly marked as a Category 7 (yeah, yeah, I should have done that first). I chose 6/9-6/14 and used points and the quote was 120,000 points on the front screen. You then click the View Rates and your only option is a two bedroom villa (I checked cash rates and all they have are two bedroom villas) which they ask for 170,000 (down from 190,000 which is even a different number than bon551's - holy cow, it's the wild west) and two upgrade certificates per night (and I bet that's 10 for five nights not 8 for 4).

merb and/or The specified item was not found.  please help, although this one might call for the man himself NathalieF

What gives?  

bpelican  this is what I was talking about 

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/94820#94820

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Gotcha.  I'll be interested in the response.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...