4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2013 10:29 AM by iahflyr RSS

$1000 Marriott gift card is a joke.

cletophl Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I searched for other discussions on this topic and did not find any, so here it goes.

About 2 years ago, I used the "promotion" of 117,000 for $1000 in Marriott Cheques.

Last year, I "purchased" $1000 in Marriott cheques for 135,000 points.

In January, I was researching how many points I needed for us to take our entire Honeymoon (flight, hotel, spending money) for free off points and noticed the $1000 cheques were now gift cards, and 205,000 points.

Today, I check out the gift cards, and $1000 is now 255,000 points.

What the heck happened to my points? I used half the points to get the same reward in the past.

I have been choosing a slightly pricier hotel to stay at a Marriott. The week after Thanksgiving is my first business stay at an Embassy Suites. Hilton did a status match and I don't have to jump through hoops for free breakfast or deal with an overcrowded lounge. I already have platinum for 2014, and if they don't get rid of the rollover nights, I have it for 2015. There is no incentive for me to pick the pricier hotel. I still earn free nights at Hilton, get free breakfast and they cost less.

I complained to Marriott about it and I hope they reevaluate the point amount.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: $1000 Marriott gift card is a joke.
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

cletophl,

It is certainly sad to continue to read these type of posts, but in my opinion you won't see any changes to reevaluate any points, in fact don't be surprised to find further devaluation.  The entire concept of being loyal to a hotel or airline is ever changing and not for the good as you know.  Read through some of the threads on this community and you will find more stories of unhappy MR members, most all due to poor customer service and lack of value.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

You are not alone in your disappointment. See the More Like This column over to the right.

This actually should be titled 2013  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/66996#66996

Here is another link;

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/68334#68334

The majority (and there were many) of complaints about the increase from 135,000 points for a $1,000 gift cheque to 255,000 points for a $1,000 gift card were often buried in other posts discussing the overall erosion of elite benefits.

The likelihood of Marriott re-evaluating the point total would appear slim, given the recent trending.

My beef (as a non-user, due to strategically maintained low point balance) was the lack of communication over the cancellation (essentially, Marriott only posted it on the bottom of the offer), most Insiders learned about it either through floridatravels post above or when they tried to buy another, only to be surprised.  Again, another reason to stay active on Insiders, many 'gotchas' are described here first, if at all.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sort of how most Insiders learned of the famous UA partnership....by Mrs. erc finding it in USA Today!  Communication is certainly a key and often times early and good communication will soften the blow of the event. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

This is just a more blatant example of he continual dilution of our points.

A more subtle example is the assigning of a category to a hotel then raising it a year later.  I have spent as much as 10,000 points a night more than I did at the same hotel the previous year.

If they (Marriott) continue to make it easier to earn points AND continue to incorporate other program's elite status holders in the Rewards program our earnings will continue to deteriorate (as to their buying power)..

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...