6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2014 5:57 PM by jldmk RSS

Grand Cayman - Marriott or Ritz?

blainep22 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm going to the Cayman Islands for the first time and currently have reservations at the Marriott Resort and the Ritz using points.  Which hotel is better?  Are there any huge differences I should consider? 

Thanks!              

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands Marriott Hotels & Resorts Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
  • Re: Grand Cayman - Marriott or Ritz?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

blainep22,

While merb is correct about us having been to Cayman and the island is beautiful with some outstanding food.  As far as hotels, first off I'd check with the Marriott as they were to be renovating some of the property (sorely in need) this fall so you might give the hotel a direct call before committing.  While the Marriott did not meet some of our expectations as far as our room, the associates were fantastic.  The pool is fairly small and can get noisy with kids playing so if you want more quiet get up very early and snag yourselves a lounge on the beach, and I mean early! 

Check out the reviews of the property, ours was a bit negative. 

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/marriott-hotel-reviews/gcmgc

The Ritz is further up Seven Mile Beach from Georgetown yet still located near and within walking distance of a number of good restaurants and shopping much like the Marriott.  The Ritz looks very grand and lovely while driving by, yet some folks we talked with at Tiki Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (which is a must for a break from the sun) who were staying at the Ritz found it in need of renovating as well.  Again, check out the reviews for a good idea of what to expect.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/marriott-hotel-reviews/gcmrz

Either way enjoy the island, water, sunsets, locals, food and drink.  Let us know what you pick and give  us a report when you return.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

blainep22 Platinum

I've decided on the Ritz because of the larger beach and seemingly nicer lounge chairs (which I plan on laying on almost every day), and the many water sports that come with the resort fee. I will make sure to report back, I'm hoping for an ocean view upgrade!

blainep22 Platinum

Sorry for the delay.

The Ritz in the Grand Cayman was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had at a hotel.  The lounge chairs on the beach and at the pool are top notch.  The service was over the top, so great that I was sitting on the beach wondering if life could get any better and all of a sudden, a server came by with complimentary ice cold slices of watermelon! Then, at the pool, thinking life couldn't get any better, they brought around free popsicles!

I was upgraded to a room with a view of the water.  I'm not sure how happy I would have been had I not, since they have an entire section that has absolutely no view of the water.  The water amenities were second to none for a hotel including sailing, snorkeling gear and paddle boards.

I rand down to the Marriott one morning and can say, from the outside, it looks like many steps below the Ritz.  The beach was smaller with rocks, the chairs weren't as nice and the hotel looked tiny in comparison.  I'm sure the service is great, but just from the looks, the Ritz was the right call.  I hope this helps future Cayman travelers!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

So glad to hear from you after your selection and visit to Cayman, glad it all worked out for you to your satisfaction and beyond.

eight50fun Platinum 1 Reviews

Great choice!  I had the same dilemma 2 years ago.  I splurged on the Ritz and it was well worth the extra points.  i walked down to the Marriott and was extremely disappointed.  I've stayed at several Marriott resorts and the Grand Cayman property is well below average... although not trashy as St Kitts.

jldmk Platinum

I agree - I stayed at the Ritz this past March and it was very nice.  I walked down to the Marriott to check it out for future reference and was VERY disappointed.  In Cancun I actually much prefer the Marriott over the Ritz but not in Grand Cayman!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...