28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2014 1:46 PM by barrpat RSS

Corp. Customer Service Responses???? Hilton / Sheraton ???

nov5th Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So What is your worst response from Customer Service?

I stayed in Memphis, Tn for 10 days.  Marriott has a promotion to get up to 2 free days for every second stay

at a hotel.  I've been trying to get this promotion in my account for 2 weeks now.  Responses from Customer Service usually

restates what the promotion is and contact them if you have any questions.

Marriott is getting worse and worse at posting days, stays, promotions, and overall follow up after staying at

their locations.  They're glad to accept your reservation and have you stay with them but they're follow up after

that is getting terrible.  Why do we have to chase them to post our activity?  They're website even has a link to

ask for items to be posted...like they accept being incompetent and if you want the rewards, ask for it.  Somethis is very

wrong with this picture and the other hotel chains are looking better and better with each stay.

Sure would like to hear from other so called Marriott customers on this subject.  Personally, I don't feel like a customer.

I feel used.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Corp. Customer Service Responses???? Hilton / Sheraton ???
    kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

I have been raising this concern (sent couple of emails to customer service) and got the same responses as yours "glad to have your feedback" and then end of story. I have a case of a hotel stay for which I provided feedback but was never contacted back by the managers, did a review for a Marriott property and sent a link of the review to customer service (they never followed up and i got a standard reply that "thank you for your feedback"). I sent another follow-up and was told that the email has been forwarded to their Executive offices for review and "sorry for the frustration". Let's see if they get back earlier or take for an eternity to respond.

Seems to me that Marriott is not doing a great job in getting rid of the "frustration" felt by its customers and just brushes aside the concerns. Maybe I need to pick up the phone, dial customer service number, speak with a supervisor and start yelling to convey my "frustration" but then where's the customer service and "valued customer" feeling in this?

I work on the customer side of things as well and have never made my customers feel unwelcomed so I have high standards and expectations from other companies for whom I am the customer. Clearly Marriott (for some properties and the web customer service) is yet to wow me and get my vote of confidence.

Customers == $$$

Happy Customer = more $$$

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Sorry for your experiences, mine have been a wee bit different. I am a long term, I mean long term, guest at a property and up until recently I never had cause to contact Customer Care; and I have been loyal to the Marriott brand for thirty years. When I have to reach out in frustration concerning issues with my staying adventure the folks at Marriott Customer Care have been great for the most part; the folk at the hotel, not great.

Marriott International probably needs to undertake a serious evaluation of customer service at "some" of their properties and then start penalizing and pulling their flags from some of these outfits that have staff that are soling their brand.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I would totally agree with you.  The few times I've had to call Corporate CS they have been excellent.  The problem with the local folks is that many of them have a high turnover and you really know more than they do.  There is no excuse for poor customer service at any Marriott property.  Ask to see a manager if you're not getting through to the desk Associates.  If the manager is the problem contact Corporate CS or Mr. Marriott himself.

dcr022002 Platinum 16 Reviews

Monday I had an awful experience at the Detroit Livonia Marriott, and I decided to leave and not stay there.  I called the Insiders number, but was switched to reservations and then back.

I am Platinum Premier with 20 years of loyalty to this brand.

I spoke to a woman named Carol on the Guest Experience line.   Basically Carol's attitude was so what, no offer or hint of an apology, and she told me that the check in agent at the Livonia Marriott didnt do anything wrong.  Not the point, Carol.

So I asked for a supervisor and got Angie Smith, Guest Experience Supervisor.  Her attitude was just a little better than Carol's, but still acted like I was putting her out.

I called the hotel and got Rick, the manager, explained the situation and Rick was great.  He actually cared, listened, etc.  Why have 'customer service' when the Supervisor cannot even act like she cares.  I think it is like this blog site, is anyone looking, reading or caring?

20 years of loyalty for attitude?

I am beginning to think that as the economy "betters" those without customer concerns/skills or whom view ALL customers as nonessential slime of something are being rehired.  I have spent over the past seven years over $180,000.00, yep, at a particular property and I was told that "if" I did not "like" the way they clean( they only clean when an issue is pointed out do so) that I can just check out. Yep, Marriott, potential loss of pure profit in a few. I think that sometimes WE, whom experience issues with these various franchised properties staffers and/or are not afforded the great customer care that Marriott historically extended need to not just stop at the first no and continue to ask up the chain and also research whom are the investors/owners of these various properties and share our experiences. If there is still no resolution then move on to one of the other chains. In my case, as I have reached Lifetime Platinum status, I stay with Marriott out of loyalty for all the years of wonderful customer care; but even with me, some of the actions, attitudes, and downright disrespect is getting to me. So far, I can only count two instances in over thirty years where upon calling into the Customer Care line with a concern I have been treated poorly, now these franchised proprieties that is a whole other bag of mess that I hope those someone at Marriott is looking into. I read some of the things here, especially the reviews of properties, and get a good laugh. Marriott, are you reading and listening? 

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

Well said barrpat,  the utmost concern is when you folks with all the years of loyalty to this brand are not treated well. If I was in CS and got a call of concern from an Elite member, I would take it upon myself and ensure that I provide other incentives and make you happy. Managers and other folks can give bonus points at their discretion (that would be the first thing i would give as those 10K points can't even earn you a 1 night stay). Then, i would work towards solving the issue and provide some other incentive. At the end of the day I would want the Elite customers to be satisfied and happy that CS did a great job in handling the situation. We, as Elite customers, should not be running after Marriott CS (they get paid to resolve customer concerns, not to sit and count the number of emails they responded to in order to get credits)

nov5th Gold 1 Reviews

It's very disappointing that businesses are no longer concerned with Brand loyalty.  Customers are inclined to stay with one business because they have history.  But businesses are more concerned with feeding the pockets of corporate shareholders and executives than responding to the concerns of their clients.  Customers may have to rethink their attachment if those businesses are only concerned in greed and casting aside paying customers.

And where does common sense play in Marriott's sales promotions.  The Mega Bonus gives you up to 2 free days if you stay twice at a Marriott.  I stayed 10 days at a Memphis Marriott and was told by Marriott Customer Service that 10 days is considered one stay.  BILL MARRIOTT / ARNE SORENSEN - Are you kidding me???  I dropped $2000 and the best you can do is say - don't let the door hit you on the way out.  I've been a member for probably 20 years.  I have a Marriott Credit Card.  I have Gold Member status.  And in the end, from Marriott, I really have nothing.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Dear Nov5th,

In your post you mentioned 1) a 10 day stay and 2) a promotion where you could earn one free night for every second stay.  So in reading your post, it looks like you have one completed stay for sure (the 10 days in Memphis, which only counts as one 'stay,' assuming that you stayed in the same hotel for the 10 days, checking in once and checking out once).  Have you yet completed your second stay within the promotion period (in order to complete the two 'stays' within the promotion period, which would give you your first free night certificate)?  I only ask because the term 'stay' and 'days' (or nights) can be confusing as they are not one in the same.  The promotion involves 2 'stays', which is not necessarily synonymous with 2 'nights'.  Just checking, to make sure I'm understanding correctly, and sorry if I've stated the obvious or incorrectly assumed the details of your 10 days of lodging in Memphis.  Hope to hear back from you.

Thanks.

nov5th Gold 1 Reviews

Reply to bpelican and pluto77 and MARRIOTT...  It's really troubling how the general public is so willing to just accept whatever rules big business hands out and accept it as gospel.  In the Mega Bonus program, stay for 2 stays and get 2 free days.  Yet if you stay for 10 days at one hotel, you get nothing.  Does this really make sense to anyone?  So to get the free days, I stay at one hotel, check out, go across the street to the other Marriott hotel, stay a day, check out, go across the street to a Marriott, stay a day, and keep doing this for 10 days just so i can get the free days.  In what universe does this make sense?  At the customer level, it would be so frustrated having to pack up and check in and out of a hotel.  At the corporate level, how does this make sense, as well?  The accounting process, the customer relations process, the housekeeping process, the logistics of finding a new room for your client, everything is multiplied exponentially in expense to the business.  How is this profitable while maintaining a loyal customer base?  The whole process is a loss on so many levels just because Marriott wants to play games on stay versus nights.  Many of us have stayed with the Marriott hotel chains for years, and even decades, because they used to offer VALUE.  Value included a great place to say, friendly service at every level, and a retun on what we invested in.  Now....it is fading and fading fast.  We really need to wake up to what Marriott really has to offer.  Pelican and Pluto... think about it.  Where's the value?  You're loyal to Marriott.  Are they loyal to you?  Would you shuttle your belongings....your family between numerous Marriott hotels because of stay versus nights.  When does common sense enter the picture to say something is wrong here?

erc Platinum

nov5th

I am in agreement (and would imagine most Insiders are as well) with your frustration over the MegaBonus approach of splitting hairs when it comes to calculating differently between nights and stays. I also agree, and as a reader of Insiders for the past two years, am confident in saying many other Insiders agree, that as consumers, we should always factor in the value of what the vendor is offering and as a fiduciary responsibility, adjust accordingly.

Whether it be nights vs. stays, 5 points at extended stay properties instead of 10, no points for non-rate charges at CY, Ritz, et al., no elite night credit for some specific travel packages booked through Marriott, pricing quirks that appear to be intentionally staged to catch you off guard, and what certainly appears to be an ever growing erosion of elite benefits, the list of potential, value reducing actions, by Marriott is an ongoing challenge to us, the consumer, to weigh in our lodging decisions.

When the Rewards program starts off by essentially saying; "if you want to play this game, understand that this is our program and we can cancel it anytime we want", I pretty much, IMO, am left with taking other program rules as 'gospel'. I then have four options:

1) I can state my dissatisfaction in hopes of altering the rules, which I and many Insiders have done frequently. I have participated for two years and wouldn't rate our ROI as very high.

2) I can take my business elsewhere. I've observed two years of huge revenue, multi-decade loyal customer defections and have not noticed any tactical change by Marriott indicating concern; so when/if I leave, it better be for an enhanced outcome for me, rather than an expected impact on Marriott, because, given Marriott's momentum; not only do they not budge, but courtesy of economic trends, highly successful development and financial strategies, and new target audiences like the millennials and Asian customers, they push onward to more record results and higher stock prices.

3) I can learn the rules of the game, however contrary to what I perceive as effective customer relations (I won't use 'unfair' given the sign-on rule) and optimize my individual travel strategy. This has been the most productive use of Insiders for me, great travel ideas, warning signals about program 'gotcha's' (and as you discovered, there are several), and effective description of program rules which help me avoid the cognitive dissonance of feeling hosed.

4) A combination of #1-3 above with a request for the extremely competent, intelligent, experienced travelers entering this forum to pool their collective knowledge and synergistically enhance everyone's travels.

Having been an avid reader/participant of Insiders for the past two years, my desire for 'raging against the machine' has been worn down by the lack of leverage/results we consumers currently possess. The DC market demonstrates Marriott will respond when forced. At my stage of life, I no longer have the energy nor interest in pursuing whether they should have to be forced. I have adjusted my travel strategies (I'm still out over 100 nights a year, just no longer exclusively at Marriott) and have found this forum to be my best weapon/tool for optimizing my travel experience. I support and encourage all Insiders to state their interests, whatever they are, because it improves our communication, which increases the flow of ideas for better travel. Thank you for your participation. I'm hoping you and other road warriors stay involved, sharing your ideas.

ps - unfortunately, common sense isn't so common anymore

My compliments as well (I was actually hoping you'd sprinkle some Erc dust on the matter.)  Graciously and intelligently stated.  Thanks.

erc Platinum

Thank you pluto and bpelican for the kind words. I am being quite sincere when I discuss the immense value of Insiders to me. My family and I have had some of the most terrific trips based on the generous sharing of ideas by fellow travelers.  Like the old American Express commercial used to say, "The Insiders Forum; Don't Leave Home Without It".

Here's just a short list of recent trips I have taken that have been immensely favorably impacted by Insider tips, look at all of the ideas provided by other Insiders:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/68260#68260  Phoenix/Scottsdale

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/79754#79754  Aruba

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/82190#82190  London

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/91445#91445  Indianapolis

That's by no means the entire list of trips guided by Insider input (Alaska, Vermont, Lake Tahoe, New Orleans, Newport Beach etc etc etc) and it doesn't even include the terrific restaurant recommendations, the rewards points and perks maximization strategies, the fantastic photos, and most importantly to a social animal like myself, the camaraderie provided by the forum which helps me keep whatever sanity I have left and is the perfect antidote to my eyes bleeding from the constant reading of business plans, prospectuses, and income statements.

The contentment above is the reason why you often see me exhort, "Keep on keepin' on Insiders".

ps - pluto, I just got back from another great visit to the National Museum of the Marine Corps, which is probably why my post is a bit sentimental. I'll write it up soon (I have out of town guests and am actually expected to be sociable! ).

And I am completely jealous.  Good for you!  This is a stray from topic, I know, but it has been a longstanding (and perhaps pipe) dream of mine to be able to someday return to the Quantico Base.  There is some very exciting R&D going on there in the realm of deep web technology (I went to Computer Science School there many, many moons ago.  I don't believe it exists any longer.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

erc I believe you could actually be a writer for a living...your words are exquisitely thought out and precise but to the point and right on. I think you speak for most of us on this board on all views. Thank you for your great post and summing up what I would have liked to have said myself. kudos

Sorry for your frustration nov5th, we've all been there.  There's nothing I would add to erc's response to you.  Best regards for the future.

erc - my compliments on a brilliantly worded post. I have become more active recently on MI as I realized I'm not alone in some of my frustrations, although I've enjoyed the Marriott  experience however flawed it is at times.  I appreciate your taking the time to express exactly how I feel about the whole process.  Definitely, we cannot take "common sense" for granted anymore!

nov5th Gold 1 Reviews

Update 11.5.2013 - Well here's insult to injury.  Mel just basically spelled out word for word what the program was so I asked to have my problem escalated and was basically chewed out by the supervisor.  I didn't expect to get anywhere with the supervisor.  After all, a stay is completely different from spending 10 days and over $2000, right????  Amazing.  But I never expected this response...more of don't pick on my staff and you still get nothing.  I'll put all these emails together and snail mail them to someone higher up the chain.  It'll probably be a waste of a stamp and good paper.  With Marriott, having over 20 years history means nothing.  Having a Gold Card means nothing.  Having the black credit card means nothing.  And God forbid you ever have a problem where you want corporate's help on as that's what you'll get...nothing.

Here's what I received in an email from corporate customer service...

Mel forwarded your e-mail to me in regards to the Fall Mega Bonus promotion.  In the terms of the Mega bonus you must have two 'stay' which you did not, you had 10 'nights' which does not qualify you for the free night certificate..  I understand that you are frustrated but telling us we are pathetic and to escort Mel to the mail room closet is not nessacarry.  In the below e-mails we were trying to help you by educating you about the promotion so in the future when we have an additional promotion you will know the terms....

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Feliece Jensen

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I'm glad you printed their letter to you so we could see what they were really saying.  I thought they were being quite nice about it.

nov5th Gold 1 Reviews

I'd like to leave a msg for johm, erc, pluto77, madmax, bpelican, and eb5147.... please, no disrespect buy go find another location to talk about your personal stuff.  This is my gripe session about the way Marriott handles their sales programs and you've all twisted it into something completely different...geez...get a room already.

Update Nov 14, 2013

To all others who care about what the topic was... it had to do with the Mega promotion...make 2 stays and get 2 free nights.  My gripe was I stayed 10 nights dropped over $2000 and because it was 10 nights in a row, it only counts as one stay which I thought crazy me.  After pushing it to Marriott corp, they're sticking to their guns, 2 stays or you get nothing.  I'm trying to take it past the supervisor level but they now simply don't respond.  So just remember, you Gold membership, your black Marriott credit card, your 20 years of loyalty to Marriott, in the end really gets you nothing.  They expect you to stay a night, check out, go across the street to another Marriott, stay a night, check out, go back to the original Marriott, stay a night, yada yada yada....  It doesn't make any sense.  I may need to move on.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Nov5th

I hear you.  Many of us on the site take poetic license with threads and hijack them from their initial intent to better satisfy our immediate needs.  No disrespect intended, I'm sure.  I think it stems from the days when the site was in transition and many of us didn't even now how to start a new thread, or where to place it if we did.

Anyway, regarding your specific issue, I understand that it is hard to swallow, but i's not like this should have been a surprise.  Turns out, the magabonus choice of 20 nights, 25,000 points may have been the better option for you.

For whatever reason, Marriott has chosen to be much less flexible than they had been in the past on issues like this.

safe travels

shoeman

The issue IS with the property. If those at that property had been willing to work with you then Marriott would have gladly issued the nights. Marriott is only supporting that property. I wish someone would be willing to solve the issue and recognize the value of good will and just issue the 2 free nights.

nov5th Gold 1 Reviews

Well, let's beat this dead horse to death one more time.

So the issue is Marriott has a Mega program.  Stay 2 nights at 2 different hotels and get 2 nights free.

I stayed 10 nights at one hotel, spend over $2000, and get nothing except a DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT.  So I ask Marriott customer service to reconsider and the first guy just repeats the program, almost word for word, in his email back to me.  So I did a bit of scolding and ask it to be escalated to a manager.  She emails me a chews on me for scolding her boy.  She's no help so I ask for my request to go to the next manager and he responds with an I'm sorry and here's 5000 points to shut me up and go away.  5000 points...really?  So I ask this to go to the next level twice now and nothing.  It's been about 2 weeks and nothing.  I gave it some extra time because of Thanksgiving but no response.

I would gladly roll over and play dead if it were not for the circumstances.  10 days, $2000 dollars.  There was a convention and the nearest available Marriott was 10 to 15 miles away.  Responses from Marriott customer service was minimal at best.  Being a member for 20 years, having a Gold Card, using a black Marriott credit card; makes you warm and fuzzy but in the end it really doesn't get you anything.

I guess I have 2 choices since Marriott doesn't want to bend.  I can stay and keep getting nothing or I can go to another chain like Hilton, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza, etc... and take their abuse.

So sorry for your woes. You have spent $2000.00 at the property, in Memphis of all places, at $1000.00 every five days and yet no one, I mean no one, can grasp the idea that granting you two nights, or the points, is akin to dropping a grain of sand on a beach? Not good, not good at all.  

nov5th Gold 1 Reviews

So the final tally on this 2 months later...

The Memphis Courtyard said they'd refund me one night and Marriott corporate said they'd give me 5000 points.  At this point Marriott will not respond to any further requests from me.  It was quite the effort to get this far with them.  I guess it's up to me now to decide if I want to stay with Marriott or find another hotel.  It's tough when you've had a lot of history with something but looks like it's time to part ways.

Correct me if I am in error, but it seems that you have been rewarded one of the free nights you were seeking and 5000 points which may be applied to one additional night at some Marriott property or other merchandise of your choice. Seems they have made their best and final attempt; and nope, it should have not taken this long.

Your issue is NOT with Marriott International. Seems from your own posting that up until the stay of concern you had no major issues with Marriott. My Insider peer, think about this,  you never have to deal with those at that property again; move on to another Marriott where the manager's britches are not so tight that the brain cells have ceased to think long term. Best to ya!!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

My worse response from customer service in Hilton was no response . I had been charged a no show on one of their hotels in Boston area which I disputed to no avail at the hotel. So I wrote to customer service in New York and go no response at all. That was 15 years ago and have only stayed once at a hilton in last fifteen years. - a pretty expensive no show for Hilton

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...