6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2016 10:38 AM by shamu1 RSS

Who ever conceived of the Bistro idea?

dcr022002 Platinum 16 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Last night I was forced to stay in a Courtyard (Livonia, MI) with a Bistro.  I have been doing my best to avoid most Courtyards and certainly any with the Bistro.  It was late, and I wanted a salad.  3 people were waiting on food, it was fairly deserted.  The man who checked me into the hotel was preparing people's orders, and the other guy from the front desk was going between preparing orders and answering the phone and checking people in.  Since this is all in plain sight, does anyone else find this unsanitary?

This morning at 530 AM I wanted coffee, and here we go.  I stood at the Bistro and could not tell if it was open or not.  A  lady was behind the podium at the front desk.  After several minutes I asked her if anyone was around, as I wanted coffee.  She said I would have to come to the front desk to pay for it first.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Then as she gave me the coffee, another guy came up and had a free coffee coupon.  How did he get that?  Im Platinum Premier, shouldnt that give you free coffee?

In my opinion the Bistro is one of the most ill conceived ideas to date.  From the 3 people waiting last night to my experience this morning, I really wonder if anyone has taken the time to poll people's satisfaction, certainly when it comes to $9 for coffee and cereal in an environment with questionable at best sanitary conditions?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Who ever conceived of the Bistro idea?
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I think that in some places, that would be against health regulations.  It should be everywhere.

In the first place, most places in TX, at least, require a health card.  I had to get one when I worked at a DQ as a summer job while in college.  There were also hair regulations and hand washing regulations that I'd never thought about in the Bistro idea because I'd only been to one place that had a Bistro that I actually used, and it was free for us then as a compensation for a check-in fiasco.

I clearly agree with you dcr, about the health conditions, the lack of convenience, the quality that I found missing, and the prices. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

greekbecky Platinum

I'm coming to this conversation late, but I have to say that you painted the picture perfectly.  I have seen this double-duty, front desk-to-bistro back-and-forth myself and it is a little strange (and unsanitary)...but the way you described the scene, well done and I have to admit I'm LMAO.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I had a similar experience once. I was staying at a Courtyard in Richmond VA. I checked in, and I decided I wanted a soda. Mind you, this is about 2 in the afternoon not some crazy late hour. I walk down to the Bistro and no one is there. I stand there like a dope for a good two to three minutes to see if anyone is going to show up. I then walk over to the front desk which was about 20 steps away and ask, can I get a soda? The front desk agent said "oh of course, let me help you" and I eventually got the soda, but it required me asking another staff member who had nothing to do with the Bistro to leave the front desk to take care of me. It made no sense whatsoever.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

dcr022002 your experience, captures much of what I dislike about CY.  I rarely stay at them!  To be explicit, I only stay at CY when it's the only Marriott property and I need the night's credit to assure qualifying for Platinum.  twelve to eighteen months from now I will become lifetime Platinum, and after that , I presume, I will never stay at another CY.

j&c Platinum

Next time, if possible, choose to stay next-door at the Marriott - a favorite of ours.  OR, stay at the Courtyard and walk across the parking lot to the Marriott's restaurant, Sweet Lorraine's, for a tasty, innovative menu. (Be sure to ask if the chef will make you their famous crab cakes Benedict!) You can also walk through the Marriott and into the Laurel Park Mall to reach Bar Louie's, California Pizza Kitchen, and Olga's, as well as Coffee Beanery.  C

shamu1 Platinum

Ever since Marriott changed Courtyards, we will not stay at one unless it is the only option.  We will stay at a Hilton or Holiday Inn property before staying at a Courtyard.  The Bistro idea stinks.  We will never understand how a Marriott property does not offer coffee for guests, especially Platinum members.  If they are going to nickel and dime non-Marriott reward members, they need to offer a Concierge room for Gold and Platinum members so we don't feel so cheated.  Even the very best and most expensive Marriott Resorts and Hotels provide better benefits than the Courtyard.  Certainly the worst mistake Marriott has ever made.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...