7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2013 8:19 PM by kk_z1 RSS

Any tips for Toronto?

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Planning to visit family members in Toronto, was wondering if anyone has had any experience staying at the Marriott's, residence Inn's etc. in the greater Toronto area and if there are any that I should stay away from?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any tips for Toronto?
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Hi kk_z1-

I had a great stay this summer for almost a week at the Downtown Eaton Centre Marriott.  You can check the reviews here on MRI (I did one as well for this location but it's worth the time to check all the reviews for the Toronto area hotels).  I've stayed in various places around that area over the past 25 years (both non-Marriott and Marriott) and can't say too much on the negative side for any of them although some were quite forgettable.  This Eaton Centre location was convenient for what we needed to do, and most of the staff was outstanding.  I'm sure it's not the least expensive of the bunch, but if you have points to use (as I did) it's well worth it.  I will be going back there because it was a nice experience and the public transportation is reliable and safe.  Also, it's easy to get out of town with your own vehicle and visit the outlying areas.  There are other Insiders that can contribute much more as they have traveled there often -- let's hope they will chime in.  I hope this helps you!

-Sledchick

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

thank you Sledchick I will surely check it out..

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

kk_z1,

It's been 10 years since I've been Toronto but I'm going to be flying up there next week and also staying at the Downtown Eaton Centre Marriott.  After my trip I'll be sure to report back any tips that I may have.

Here is one travel tip that might be useful to you.  If you decide to fly there you may want to look into Porter Airlines.  They offer really discounted airfare and fly directly into the Billy Bishop airport located in Downtown Toronto.  Porter flyes from several US cities including Chicago, New York, Boston, DC, and Myrtle Beach.  Since they fly into the smaller downtown airport this may save you a lot of commute time as well.

http://www.flyporter.com

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I really like the Renaissance.... http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/6702

I also admit that I'm a sucker for:

• the Hockey Hall of Fame
    • Wayne Gretzky's restaurant (if you're a hockey fan)
    • the CN tower - fun, and
    • the theater options - a bargain by NYC (or DC) standards

ENJOY!

spreadsheet Platinum 2 Reviews

WE stayed last summer at the Marriott adjoining the Blue Jays stadium and found that it offered the BEST breakfast and evening meal offerings in the lounge. They even have smoked salmon in the evening. Rooms overlooking the center field go for $500 per night and are overpriced and over-rated, so avoid them, but all other rooms offer great value. Hotel is close to all other attractions as well.

If flying in, fly into Buffalo airport as it is much cheaper.

Toronto is not for auto rentals as it is very crowded and rush hours last forever.

erc Platinum

I agree with all of the above; the downtown Eaton Centre Marriott is right in the middle of everything and we had a very nice stay there with excellent service all around. Like spreadsheet and ssindc wrote, we enjoyed the Renaissance, which did have terrific meals (lobster mac - deelicious) and if in season (which of course your trip this time isn't) a possible great view of Blue Jays games, but close to hockey and CN.

I've had successful (as in headache free/well operated) stays at the Residence Inn out near the airport (and had no problem with noise). They did an excellent breakfast and had nice evening 'manager receptions'. Great spot (with car) for traveling around up north, so depending on where your family is and what the plans are, this could be a nice gathering spot - the hotel is well run. Some good family restaurants in the nearby area. Have a great time.

Rogers Centre - field view

bluejays vs philly 06_16 toronto.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...