8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 4:05 PM by eb5147 RSS

When will Marriott DUMP Starbucks and the Bistro?

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I look to stay at Marriott properties when traveling and will go 15 miles out of the way to stay at a Marriott property. With this forced Starbutts and the biastro not  having decent breakfast, I now AVOID Courtyard and stay at HIE or similar if no other Marriott is close by.

At one time Courtyard was a property I would look for and was comfortable with. Not so much anymore..... in fact NEVER!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When will Marriott DUMP Starbucks and the Bistro?
    kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

I agree on the bistro part (there is almost nothing good that you can have and it is pricey). I don't mind starbucks as at least I can have something better than DD (again that is is just a preference) but i agree that there is no good breakfast selections available.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

Agreed, fedupplt.  I am now working with a new client here in Wichita and am staying at a CY for the first time in nearly four years.  The 'Bistro' is an abysmal joke.  After playing a 'rousing' 20 minute game of 'corporate rate code password' a few weeks ago, I at least scored a 'certificate' for "1) a hot breakfast sandwich served with fruit and a beverage or 2) any two items from our breakfast breads, and / or cereal and fruit selection plus one beverage"!!!! wow.  Not so impressed, really.  Especially after recent stays in Kansas City, Denver, and New Orleans. Courtyard seems to be the only property class in the Marriott family that could absolutely care less about their Platinum Premier guests for the past 10 years running.  And I'm stuck here as this is my client's preferred property, just 5 miles from their office.  At least I'm a Starbucks' fan.  And that is all on Starbucks', not Marriott.  :-\

dcr022002 Platinum 16 Reviews

Texas, please see other posts including "Think about a Courtyard with Bistro boycott".  I have, this year I have probably taken away 100 nights at Courtyards.  Most Fairfield Inns are now a much superior choice than most Courtyards with a Bistro.  Value aside, as so many have posted on here there appear to be serious cleanliness and health issues at the Bistro as well, when a cashier is preparing food and so on.

Worse in my opinion is the lack of any corporate response.  I post on here alot, and I have been loyal to Marriott for 20 years.  Maybe they dont care, or as a recent experience calling the Insiders line taught me, Marriott just isn't vey good at treating loyal customers with respect.

But again, boycott the Bistro and keep posting.

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

Well said, dcr022002.  My recent stays at Fairfield Inns and Springhill Suites have far outshone any Courtyard I have stayed at since Overland Park back in 2008.  As for boycotting, once I named the 'magic' corporate code, my meager Bistro breakfast is now on the house.  It's sort of hard to boycott free.  What really galled me this past time around was the $10 charge for a 5 ounce glass of cab the night I arrived.  You can get an entire bottle of a decent red at the local shop for not much more than that.  Even the last Marriott concierge's lounge I stayed at gave me an 8 ounce glass for free.  The one before that charged just $4.50.

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

I have had bad experience when ordering food at the bistro or room service. I should have taken some pictures but at one instance (at Courtyard) I got fruits with mold/fungi which goes to show how much effort is put in to hygiene and quality control. Pick some nice restaurants and eat out.. (you are not getting points for having food at Courtyards anyway so why pay more, enjoy less?)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That's my strategy, too.

I have gotten the buffet at CY when it's $6 - $8 for the buffet and there were no restaurants nearby, like in the Irving - Las Colinas, TX CY.  That's been a few years and they nearly always had good nightly rates.

We get free breakfast buffet in NE Cola., SC with corp. rate.

Years ago, we would get free breakfast buffet at Tuscaloosa, AL CY because of elite status.  I haven't driven that way in a few years, and a couple of years before that, they were always full; so I don't know what they have now.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I too like to find Marriott properties and will go (a little) out of my way to stay at one. In places where there is a CY, one can often find a SHS or a FI nearby. Both include breakfast in the rate. Rooms at SHS are usually nicer than CY anyway. I used to seek out CY. Not anymore. While I still patronize CY occasionally, I don't buy food or coffee.

The breakfast buffet at CY was nice, but I wonder if there are any locations that still offer it.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

There are still a few.  I've been to one in Cola., SC just a couple of weeks ago.  The mgr. has been putting it off for as long as he can.  Everyone hopes he can continue.

There have been others who have commented on MI recently about having the free coffee and buffet.  I think one was around Seattle or Portland.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...