4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2013 12:05 AM by anadyr RSS

Airlines  Are Data Mining, Is this a good thing?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This article comments on the lengths to which arilines are going to understand individual customer's preferences.  Not if they would only get the fact that we want service, more legroom, and on-time performance, maybe we'd be getting somehwere! Customer Relations Management is the new thing, and I am sure it has a place, but like most things meant to understand us, it borders, in my opinion, on an invasion of privacy.

PS: I like my Manhattan up and stirred, a lie-flat bed, 100 volt plug at the seat, and my Chateubriand carved table-side, if they're mining my data

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Airlines  Are Data Mining, Is this a good thing?
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

and that's just flying economy...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

All of us complain about things like legroom. But let's face it, most of us are lying about it. We can say all we want that legroom, seat width, etc. are important to us. But when we go to buy a ticket it's price, price, price. When an airline decides to try to cut costs per seat by wedging in more seats, we vote with our wallets that it's a good idea.

And while you and I may not have been the ones who voted with our wallets to go with smaller seats, enough people did to make the decision for the airlines.

We still have a choice.

An economy R/T to Bangkok (my most common flight) on United is about $1,500 give or take. Economy Plus gives more legroom but not more width and costs a few hundred more. Business Class is $6,000. So I can pay for legroom, I can pay for legroom, width and a full recline, or I can save money.

If I vote to save money, I don't see as how I get to complain about legroom and width. It was my choice.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Is this really a surprise?  I expect that Marriott is ding the same thing.  Others as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...