9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2015 8:01 AM by brightlybob RSS

ADVANCE Purchase Issues

georgiapeach Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Am I the only marriott rewards customer that is not happy with Advance purchase rates and how they show up?!?? It seems a switch and bait to trap you with Marriott taking our hard earned dollars and then you're stuck with NO Changes and I mean NO changes/modifications.  You can't change your date, room type or whether you want a bath or shower in your room.  Really what if you're handicapped aunt decided to go along, you can't change to a handicapped room?  This is ridiculous !

Marriott needs to change how the advance purchase rate appears and stop playing the SWITCH and BAIT game and taking advantage of customers, especially the older ones who can't see the slight change in the gray color.

Please MARRIOTT do something about this! 

a long time customer

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: ADVANCE Purchase Issues
    erc Platinum

If you look over to the right in the More Like This column, you'll see that you're not alone in your concern. Be Careful When Booking Online and Beware of Advance Purchase Rates both highlight the 'creep' of pricing techniques that go beyond the clear cut Advance Purchase rate labelling.  It is easy when checking several rates (as many of us do) to slip back and forth between standard, AAA, and Advance and if not careful, to think you've caught a deal, only to realize (hopefully, before booking) that it is a non-refundable Advance purchase

Unfortunately, as we trend more and more toward longer notice for cancellations, seeing 3, 2, and 1 day notices being required to cancel rather than the former 6 pm of same day, and a somewhat ambiguous description of what one day is (is it 24 hours before check in, 24 hours before 6 pm or midnight the day before etc etc), I anticipate seeing more pricing 'quirks' in the Marriott.com pricing matrix, not less.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i find that many times the advance rate is the same as the senior rate but senior can be cancelled and changed

wonderfull Gold

I had the same experience - I am still waiting to see if they will change my reservation that I accidently booked because it's not clear that its an advance booking.

The only thing we can do is to STOP STAYING AT MARRIOTT.......That will make a statement, we don't like your confusing / Bait & Switch website.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Every advance booking reservation I've seen has been very clearly shown on the reservation page.  The only trick is you have to make sure you ALWAYS read the rate rules regardless of what rate you select.

ramoneur Platinum

since I found this bait/trap on the price listings,

I am almost paranoid when booking/reserving;

this cannot be what Marriott wants from oyal customers, right?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I also had a similar experience when making a summer booking this year.  I was on the go and wanted to make sure I had a reservation for a few nights in NYC.  I didn't realize until after I made the booking, I only had 24 hours to cancel the reservation.  But, I did see that it was an Advance Purchase Rate, and it was my fault for not reading it.  However, I was lucky enough to get 3 nights at the East Side Marriott over July 4th weekend for an incredibly low rate, which was totally worth it.  I am not totally upset with these rates, as they can be very beneficial, just have to be more careful when making the bookings.

Platinum 28 Reviews

For those of us on "life support" - my experience has found that if you qualify for a senior rate it will usually be below the "advance" rate, and without the restrictions/penalties.

A perk to Plats should be the ability to book the very best rate without restrictions!!!  (another topic for another day)

I should note that when I have "accidentally" booked a rate with restrictions and/or had to cancel within the penalty period, a call to the platinum desk has gotten me out of trouble every time.

ramoneur Platinum

I agree

(and not only because I will be platinum soon, too)

if one is platinum, one should not have to worry about " being baited";

"baiting" is a business model for short term customer relations,  this is incompatible with proven long term customers

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Advance purchase is a wholly legitimate part of the travel scene and has been for decades. The customer gets a reduction against the flexible rate, the hotel/airline gets a guaranteed payment.

Sometimes I stay on Advance rate, where the reduction is sufficient, others I don't.

For instance I've got an advance rate for my weekend stay at Forest of Arden in UK later this month, the cost being $250 saving me $50 against the flexible rate. On the other hand for my forthcoming weekend stay at the Malmo Renaissance in Sweden I've booked on a flexi rate for $180 for the weekend as the advance purchase rate there is only offering a discount of $12. And that's despite the fact that our $45pp return airfare is non-refundable.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...