7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 11:54 PM by bpelican RSS

RITZ CARLTON ST THOMAS

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have any insight into how Ritz Carlton treats Gold Members with regards to room upgrades when staying on points?  I will be staying for 7 nights in February in the "standard" room and wanted to know the likelihood of being upgraded to at least an "ocean view" room.

Thanks for any info/insight!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: RITZ CARLTON ST THOMAS
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

ne_traveling_man, this is a perplexing question and has been asked many times in some way, shape or form. in regards to upgrades, there are many ways of going about trying to get them. My best suggestion would be to call and ask for the general manager of the hotel, let him know you will be travelling there in February and staying for 7 nights. Mention the trip is special because>>>(whatever reason if you have one), mention you are hoping there will be an ocean view room available on your arrival and would appreciate an upgrade if so. Also, you can use the virtual concierge and request upgrade through that if you have a confirmation email. That may not come until close to your trip, but be sure and put down any comments and requests you have there. Be persistent, get to know the gm and hopefully this will come about for you.
    With that said, do not be disappointed if you cannot get an upgrade. These are optional for rewards members, remember? I have heard some who don't request them get them, and others that do don't, so be pleased with whatever happens. I have been so fortunate many times to receive upgrades to better view rooms and have been offered suites that were not necessarily better views. I have requested upgrades and not been given them. It is a **** shoot to say the least, so just enjoy your trip to St. Thomas. You can always spend your time seeing the view from the pool or beach or helicopter ride over the island and hotel...have a great trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Great advice from Madmax.  I have been pretty happy with the result when I reached out in person to someone at the property that I will be staying at.  Without jinxing myself, I feel that I have always received some nice upgrades - and a few times really nice upgrades.  I have also never asked for anything specific, just requested help in getting a "nice room."  Good luck!

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas about 6 years ago.  We had a good room, not a bad room, but not ocean front.  We stayed three nights on points before movinig onto Caneel Bay.  The service was really excellent.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Stayed at the Marriott St. Thomas and got upgraded automatically to an Ocean View.  Love to watch those Cruise Ships come into the harbor.

abbyar Member

Depends on the week you're traveling - if it's President's Week, it will be busier and your chance of upgrade is low. Otherwise you'll be upgraded to basically what I call a "Junior Suite" - may or may not have ocean room. Depends on what others have booked as well. I'd say your chances are 75% if you're not in President's week - but if you're there then, less than 10%.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Thank you very much for the insight!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I've used the same approach with similar results.  When you have a rookie on the desk it may become problematic.  That's when I go to the desk supervisor.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...