7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 11:36 AM by eb5147 RSS

Anyone else get denied stay credits for not booking directly with Marriott?

elem Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone provide a reasonable answer as to why Marriott would not give elite night credits for a stay simply because it was not booked directly with Marriott? This has happened on two occasions, one of which a Supervisor corrected "as a courtesy".On both occasions I booked a package with air and hotel. Once was on the Marriott website and once was with JetBlue. I had many hotel chain options but I chose Marriott since I'm a rewards member. I later found out that the stays didn't count because I booked through a "third party". I was under the impression they were affiliates. I was told I didn't "pay Marriott directly and got a reduced room rate" so it was as if I never stayed. I argued that obviously Marriott was paid through JetBlue or whoever they sold the room to, Marriott didn't donate them. Marriott certainly made money. Ironically, the package only reduced the airfare, not the room so I didn't even get a discounted rate. I said "so if my brother gets a military reduced rate, my mother gets a senior citizen reduced rate and I get an AAA reduced rate, I still get the credit regardless of a discount".  How ridiculous to discourage loyalty simply because a reservation wasn't made with Marriott per se. To add insult to injury, I was told I would be given points to compensate for breakfast being unavailable but since the stay didn't count, they didn't apply those points either. I will definitely be rethinking my choices should I have to choose a package again. Shame on Marriott for such a senseless policy. Elite night credits cost them nothing. Failing to give them could cost them guests.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anyone else get denied stay credits for not booking directly with Marriott?
    nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Though this practice might seem unreasonable to you, I have always understood  that if I did not book directly with Marriott, I would not get the nights credit or the points. Tour companies may use Marriott hotels (e.g. Tauck) for an accommodation night somewhere on a tour, but since the room's cost is part of the 'all inclusive' price for the tour (or package or whatever), there is no easy way for Marriott Rewards to be directly associated with that deal. I imagine this situation is defined somewhere in the Marriott Rewards terms of usage. (That must be how I understood that this was the case.) Now that you're aware of this disappointing practice, you can make plans accordingly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anyone else get denied stay credits for not booking directly with Marriott?
      elem Gold

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm new to this forum so I just realized there were other sore losers like myself experiencing similar frustration and disappointment. Like you and Profchiara advise, the only way to be sure to get the credit earned is to go through Marriott directly. The first situation really puzzled me because that time I booked it through "Marriott Vacations", a link I got directly from Marriott's official website. The second time (through Jetblue), I called Marriott and they attached my Rewards number and it showed up in the "upcoming reservations" before I left. That was the last time there was any record of my stay. It disappeared from any transactions as if I never stayed. I see a lot of forums address poor communication and omision of posting earned credits. Seems like the burden often ends up with the guest having to make follow up inquiries. That coupled with this policy of 3rd party booking just doesn't leave me feeling "rewarded".  Thanks again for your responses.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Nanaglo is exactly right. You have to book on Marriott, or you won't get the points.  That is true of almost all the hotel chains, though not necessarily of airlines.

erc Platinum

First off, welcome to Insiders elem. That's a terrific response by you and an attitude that will serve you best when dealing with Marriott Rewards, a "fool me once shame on you Marriott, fool me twice shame on me". The Rewards program, like many loyalty programs, has all sorts of nooks and crannies that can sometimes pull a 'gotcha', but one of the major benefits of this forum is the excellent information shared among all of the travelers to help shorten the learning curve of making the most out of the Rewards program, which in spite of some difficult cutbacks, still offers significant value. We have all discovered (often the hard way) that being right is overrated and by gaining experience through others, we are all able to reduce those situations. Good to have you on board.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

The REAL reason you will never earn credits through a 3rd-party booking is that Marriott discounts and/or pays a service fee to these parties. Since your booking is already costing Marriott $$$, they zing you by not offering any rewards in return.

erc Platinum

Once more highlighting the value of Insiders, not only do you get the what, but often the why (or at least a well thought out possibility). As you read the why's (mostly, because Marriott can; a recovering rebound in business and leisure travel, record earnings,  52 week high stock price, highly aggressive and profitable Asian development, and the onslaught of Chinese and millennial customers replacing the formerly loyal to a fault, Marriott elite level customer) you come to realize that the Marriott boys and girls often play hardball; so like Hall of Fame boxing referee Mills Lane always advised prior to a championship bout, "protect yourself at all times".

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Yes, elem.  Welcome to the site, and thank you for the info.

"Once was on the Marriott website" -- This one confused me, too.  I'd have thought that it would have been officially Marriott.  Now we know.  Go through the CS to make sure it's officially Marriott, or at least through the reservations site where we log in.  (Was this where you made your reservations?  I hope not since I will be completely confused.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...