3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 10:55 AM by barrpat RSS

Negotiating for more points

justaregulargy Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have been staying at a Residence Inn for 8 months on a monthly contract. In a couple months I will sign up for another 6 months and I wanted to know if anyone has ever asked for more points in order to keep the business. Residence Inn gives half the points that other properties give so is it fair to ask them for more?

I am a Platinum Elite and at the end of this Month I will have Lifetime Platinum Status.

Thanks in Advance

Dennis

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Negotiating for more points
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

justaregulargy - I, like you, stay months at a time at a single venue (right now I am at 10 months at the same hotel). I have never renegotiated for more points but have attempted to secure an additional reduction in nightly rates - to almost no avail. Most of the time, I am negotiating my own rate up-front before my first night's stay - and usually get a great rate. As such, I think (or at least believe) I pushed the envelop about as far as I can to get the rate quoted. When I get my client's corporate rate, I do not even bother to ask for a reduction - I know it is not going to happen as the venue routinely (I suspect annually) renegotiates the rate with the client. My guess, if I were to negotiate for additional points, I would fail as well. Points cost the venue about 1.5-cents per point, so for them to give me 5000 bonus points would cost them $75, not to mention the additional processing fees, etc. I believe they would rather reduce the nightly rate, which lead me back to my first point in that I believe I get the best rate possible up-front.

My suggestion would be to attempt to get some type of freebie you currently do not leverage. For example, free breakfast certificates, a bar/drink voucher, or whatever else comes to mind. I have had success in this area.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

onedale Platinum 16 Reviews

Just ask the General Manager for some bonus points.

My favorite Residence Inn is in Bloomingdale Illinois.  I have gotten to know the GM and all staff.

I now find random gift awards in my account every few months.

Besides that the customer service there is second to none.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Try for a reduction in the nightly rate you pay. You are a steady, and seemingly guaranteed, source of income. The point thing is pretty much set in stone by Marriott, Inc., but but room rate is where there is room for negotiation. The longer you stay, the less you should pay; because in the end the property will earn far more off your long term stays than they do on the casual drop in, drop out guests. Best to ya.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...