88 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2014 8:36 PM by iahflyr RSS

TSA Pre Check and CAC Cards

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At the Denver International Airport the wait time for security was approximately 45 minutes, based on folks I talked to.  In the TSA pre-check area, I was through the line and on my way in less than 2 minutes! I was going to see if my CAC (Common Access Card) also worked but I was rushed through so quickly I barely had time to wave at the regular folks in line but that would be mean.  joshm take that!!! See I am really special, I really am!

Just call me Sir Anadyr from now on!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TSA Pre Check and CAC Cards
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sir anadyr,

You're absolutely Knight material, but I think we have you beat here at IAH time wise as I can't remember (keep in mind I'm old) even two minutes from the time I get to the three DING DING DING sound until I'm headed for the Brighton Store so the Mrs., can find yet another purse!

Glad it worked out well for you, somehow!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It keeps me humble

And when you think of IAH, it is very near Humble, Texas!

I guess I will have to think of that. Thanks for the reminder

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Sir Andy,

That's awesome!  I'm glad to hear that TSA Precheck is still helping to expedite frequent travelers through the security lines.  I came across this article the other day in which a travel blogger mentioned some of the TSA Precheck lines at LAX and LGA have now become the "New Slow Lane"

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/10/is-tsa-precheck-the-new-slow-lane/

At Denver today it was not the case, which might be an abberation

vaboywnder,

Thanks for the link, sounds like the author hit the nail smack on the head with this statement:

"The non-TSA agents manning the lines were not checking for TSA Precheck and frankly the whole situation was out of hand".

That is in my opinion what the issue is with long Pre-Check lines.  My home airport IAH, the Pre-Check lane is managed quite well by the contract folks who are checking the boarding passes, and even watched closely by a UA Agent at busy times of the day.  It works quite well and I'm very happy to participate.

No one was asked if they qualify for Pre-Check, just based on the ticket, which was printed with the pre-check logo.

anadyr,

Not being asked or just standing in a line they have no idea what the line is for regardless if it's printed on the boarding pass as it is for UA.

Every single time I've used Pre-Check you either get the three dings when they verify you are a Pre-Check person and are told to go in this line or you don't and are told to go over to regular security or in the UA case Premier Access line.

Well according to the always informative TSA website, the putting of a person in the line does not guarantee that the person will not be singled out in what they call their multilayered, unpredictable practices.  Is that a bad choice of words or what?  But the United folks apparently feel that Economy Plus persons with Premier status are bennies of the line regardless of what the TSA says.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

got pre-check on American through MIA & DFW with a business class booking....pre-check was worth the price of admission alone....

Since the airline is the one that determines if they will offer and print Pre-Check on your boarding pass, I believe they know who you are and want to treat you better than Joe and Sally Traveler.  Ya think?

I told them of my Marriott affiliation but they upgrqaded me in spite of that

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

multilayered, unpredictable practices.

anadyr,

Sounds appropriate to me from what little I've read about the non-profiling PC idiocy.

Instead, even babies with names that are the same as those on the list have been pulled from flights so that their parents are unable to fly, even though the morons that are sometimes running the TSA should be able to figure out the list was made before the babies were born.

Talk about Gestapo techniques!!!  Our country is living them with just one incident having changed our lives entirely.

(P.S.:  And then other incidents building and adding onto whatever degradations TSA and the government can think of in retrospect.)

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

It has been my experience at LAX that the pre check line for american is a joke. The contractor and TSA do not check to see if precheck is on your boarding pass and the lack of precheck isnt noted until you hit the scan, when the magic three beeps dont happen, and then the TSA just re directs those mistaken travelers. LAX is is symptom of the whole LA environment ( and I lived in AL for a few years, even met my wife She isnt from there) and got married in LA) where it is dysfunctional, ambivalent and chaotic in ways that no other part of the country is. It must be because LA is so close to the nuclear free zone of the principality of Santa Monica, where normal rules of human behavior dont apply. I have to go to LA a few times a year on business, I have global entry and precheck, and it happens every time where the precheck lines are long and slow. I guess I need to change professions and become a Hollywood A lister so I dont need to deal with the whole security scene. If you think I dont like LA and California in general, you would be correct. When the only redeeming feature of any geographic area is the weather, and the infrastructure is weak, the environment poor, and the ability to raise children to be productive members of society is compromised, then its time to live somewhere else, and I did and do, 3,000 miles away and in much more wholesome area of the USA. Sorry if I offened anyone in CA or LA, but I speak from first hand experience, not some subjective belief.

I agree that the system of pre-check is not working well, there were no three beeps when my ticket was scanned, in fact the checker was mor interested in my ID, admiring the excellent DMV representation of my wonderful face!

Then you have yet again uncovered a flaw....if you don't get the three beeps you are to be shuffled off to another line.  Now if the boarding pass has TSA Pre and a check mark printed next to the UNITED and the logo in the upper left corner you should have gotten the three beeps when you had the boarding pass scanned by the checker.  Hmmmm

IMG_20131030_124547_989.jpg

That's what mine said, and no beeps heard

Most interesting, makes me want to call UA and ask what the heck is going on.....but NOT!

Actually the TSA pre check site mentions something about airlines making this happen.  But then why rock the boat?

I love to rock the boat, but won't on this thing.  And yes it is the airlines so there is certainly a glitch in the system and you had to find it.

I try my best

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Stelz,

Diatribe about the ills of LA as much as you'd like.  This native Los Angeleno can take all that you have to dish.

(I'm looking forward to seeing if my pre-check works on my upcoming Qantas flight out of LAX.)

Fight Fight!!!

Awe, now see, I meant that in the nicest way possible.  LA can indeed be seen as "another planet" to those not accustomed to it's ways.  It fits me like an old glove, though admittedly I don't live there any more.  As for LAX, many seem to loathe it.  I am impervious.

I will say that flying in on a clear day, it saddens me to see such brown skies and an endless, colorless landscape of concrete, blacktop and metal (at least the ocean is still blue!)  What happens to paradise when it is overrun, I suppose.

Very disappointed in the fan vibe at Dodgers Stadium recently too, and me a lifelong Dodgers fan.

LA (and more specifically Long Beach) will always be nostalgic, familiar and therefore comfortable to me.  I am quite fond of California history and am a fan of our innovation and forward mentality with regards to the environment and clean energy (we don't really have a choice), and am thrilled about our high speed rail project, and I will stop there lest this turns political.

Back to LAX.  No problema, es bueno por mí.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

funny today in Denver I went through pre check and a friend went thru the no advantage line and he was waiting for me when I finally got thru the check  who would think ?

Same thing happened to me at DCA.  Of course it was me mum in the other line, and she, being 75 did have some advantage.

You're so funny, and astute in catching the 3 beeps that anadyr didn't get. 

I try very hard...difficult to catch him when he's sleeping you know!

Pluto: Wasnt trying to be difficult, just lived there and found it wasn't my cup of tea, and every time I go back (business dictates that I do), the experiences dont make me feel fonder of that spot on the planet. I just find the LAX airport and the TSA that serves it to be the worst in the USA (and given I travel from JFK/LGA/EWR/HPN/BDL) that is really saying something! I realize NYC is not eveyone's favorite, so it was no disprect to LA, but rather the issues I have faced both as a resident and a visitor. When my company offered to move me out of LA, I jumped at that chance (that was 21 years ago) and I dont regret it at all. I will take the snow, ice, hurricanes,etc that plague the northeast USA any day over the fair weather plastic LA scene. If it fite you and you like it, more power to you. My comment was really that the LAX and TSA therein is a relflection of the city it is in.

Stelz,

Of course I knew you weren't.

pluto77 and stelzer001, I was only having fun with the "fight" stuff.....but it was a nice banter.

To piggyback on Vaboy's post,

Stuck in line: TSA PreCheck expansion slowing down frequent travelers - NBC News.com

So we're stuck in line, but we still at least don't have to remove all of our "stuff."  That's gotta be worth something, right?

But once pre-check passengers become the rule rather than the exception, then what?  Opt out for faster lines, but with the greater hassle?

The primary purpose of tsa-precheck (if I'm not mistaken), is to shrink the haystack in which the proverbial needle (of aircraft terrorism) resides.  So while more and more of us wait (and wait and wait) in the ever increasing pre-check (we mostly think you're a good guy) line, the "haystack" line, that is, the line that they're most interested in, gets smaller and smaller, and thereby easier and easier to identify the target (in theory), which at the end of the day, is the bottom line.

Think on this, I shall.

I find that the average person working for TSA is not that competent (and I apologize if any TSA lurkers are out there listening or reading this post.I think if we wanted to make life harder for would-be ne'er do wells, we could find a better way, one that is random and unpredictable at all times. Perhaps a little interrogation would be a deterrent? I recall the El Al process which takes hours is good at that.  Lufthansa back in the day also had a fierce looking set of searchers doing the pat downs.  But then perhaps we invented the TSA regime to scare us all, the good guys, and attempt to deter the bad ones.

As much as I deplore waiting in lines, I think I'd be more apt to accept that over the potential of being interrogated for hours (and missing my flight).  Or would interrogation be based on profiling (which I am not opposed to, but then admittedly I don't fit much of any threat profile)?

I'm not aware of any in-flight acts of terror since the inception of tsa, incompetent though it may be.

pluto77,

I don't fit any profile for anything.....however; when did that idiot with the shoes get on the flight, wasn't that after the TSA started and we all had to take shoes off from then forward?

I don't recall.  I also don't recall any planes falling out of the sky as a result, or anyone being the victim of an onboard terrorist attack since 9/11.  How was the shoe terrorist caught?  Air Marshall?  Can we say that so far, the system seems to be working?  How do we quantify such an analysis?  That no one has been terrorized in the skies up to this point?

profchiara,

Who is buying into the program? (Not being confrontative, just a legitimate question to resolve my ignorance.)  I, though not a frequent flyer, was interviewed, fingerprinted (no big deal, being a one time teacher, govt employee and GI, I have been fingerprinted several times; they probably have my retina scan and dna on file), photographed and submitted to a background check (again, probably for the hundredth time).

In my humble (not ) opinion, I don't think anyone should have tsa-precheck privileges until/unless that is done, I don't care if they fly on a plane 3-4 times a day, 365/year or spend millions with an airline.

Right!!

To me, this takes the entire premise of innocent until proven guilty out of our system and makes people guilty until proven innocent.  It is the first "invasion of privacy" for which our constitution was designed to protect us.

Meanwhile, illegals by the millions are allowed in with many of them being known terrorist, as in the case of the one found in Atlanta after entering through Mexico without any hassle at all.  Those terrorist should have been on the radar and followed.  Has Homeland Security restructured the intelligence community so that they share info with each other?  I don't think so.

Have our rights been taken away while millions of illegals who violate our laws are being rewarded with amnesty and other benefits that burden us further?  Definitely.

Have these measures that have taken our rights away worked, or are they being allowed to work for political motivation?  There are many reasons they could be working, so if anyone thinks that rights being sacrificed is justification for no incidents having occured, try thinking further and looking at history more.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Just because a large terrorist act has not succeeded does not necessarily equate with the TSA vigilance (or the system as a whole).  It assumes a vast majority of people are likely to commit terrorist attacks and hence requires removal of clothing, electronics, liquids, etc.  And I have 'mysteriously lost' some things like watches in those bins that go through screening while some woman with a wand tries to figure out if the underwires on my bra are dangerous or not.  (I realize I am leaving myself open to a thousand jokes there, but the missing watch and other incidents aren't funny.)  While we're being extra-screened, our computers and belongings are all sitting on the conveyor belt unguarded.

Finally, to end my diatribe, to me the terrorists have won if we give up our constitutional rights.

I don't see how anyone would joke about anything you said if they had any sense at all.  The technique isn't unlike those used by gangs and thugs / tyrants of all descriptions.

Our country has been railroaded unlike that of any time since WWII Germany.  Political affiliations are of no consequence since both parties in government are responsible as are all levels of government, from highest to lowest.

We all lost, giving those terrorists the ultimate victory that so many people are obviously missing.  We are living in a massive concentration camp that has gone global.

pluto77,

In my opinion you are on the money with all you wrote!!!!  Keep on keepin on.

Exactly, Pluto!  I have been quite happy with TSA pre-check because Delta cleared me for it long ago, and when the international version kicked in at the beginning of the year I sailed through.  That's been true every time since.  Even one of the 'new' airports that's getting it -- Portland, ME -- used a halfway system by handing the FF traveler TSA-Pre-Check ticket line passengers a big card to hand to the screeners that said do not take off shoes or jackets (though I still had to take out my computer).

However, with people buying into the system, the MSNBC report is likely to be right on.  It's also a bit counter-intuitive for me.  For 12 years thanks to an abrogation of American citizens' 4th Amendment rights, we have all been assumed to be guilty unless proven (or x-rayed correctly - when that happens) to be innocent. When FF were allowed in thanks to the airline that made perfect sense because you have a record of flying, usually pay with credit cards and have a record with the airline. Once people can buy into the system, the whole thing's out of whack.

Our government at work. Not.

profchiara,

I wish I had read your response before I posted since you said the same thing without as much diatribe about out dismissal of the constitution by our government.  I was just going down the line reading this topic that has touched upon so many people.

I remember your having posted about the awful incidents you've cited here in regards to your mother and your sandal not being visible enough for the morons when you were in such pain.  Those are terrible memories to have.  I'm sorry anyone has to have them, especially since those who should be profiled are usually overlooked to prove there's no such thing as profiling as a way of "apologizing" for having "profiled" so many immediately following 9/11.  [Also a symptom of rash reaction just as the rounding up of the Japanese and Germans (though not as widespread and not as well publicized) was during WWII.]    

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I had not noticed TSA Pre-ck on my boarding pass when we flew from Portland to Atlanta.  I did not notice if 3 beeps sounded or not, so I was surprised when I was told I had been selected for pre-check.  I could leave my shoes on, keep my jacket on, leave my computer in the sleeve, and just put all my belongings on the conveyor belt.  It worked like a charm.  What did not work like a charm was my husband had been directed to follow me after the first stop, then was turned away at the second stop and had to go into the regular line.  It didn't take much longer, but he had to take off shoes, belt, empty pockets, take his computer out, etc.  At least they didn't ask to look through the lens of his camera. 

RBF,

Sounds like Hubby got re-routed by the TSA where they checked the ID's while you didn't.  Did you mention your Marriott affiliation like anadyr did on his recent trip?

I think the threat of interrogation plus a few extra random checks would do fine. Also, in Israel it starts very early and no one misses their flights. So, make it seem as real as can be but selective.

So their "multi-layered, unpredictable" practices should be more so.  ?

In Israel, how early are we talking is 'very early?'

These may be subtleties that I might appear to be "splitting hairs over," but I'm just trying to understand.

Most importantly however, it is time for me to prepare the entrance to my lair to receive all of the local little minions, tap them with my wand and send them off, sprinkled with copious amounts of my super secret witch dust (refined sugar!)  Hehehehehehehehehe!  Hehehehehehehehehe!

Israel really does smart profiling in all respects, so I'd get to the airport in the same amount of time you would elsewhere for an international trip, maybe minus a little less (except for people like my colleague, who is flagged because he's been to Syria and Iran for research) because they're simply very good at it and not at all invasive.

Exactly.  Some say the searches have been successful.  Untrue.  The U.S. was warned by Russia about the Boston bombers who had been to countries that should have been signaled.  Again, they succeeded, and their families had lived here for a long time living on our welfare system while raising their sons to be terrorists and even go to college free gratis while learning our ways and learning to blend in.  The Russian warnings should have been heeded.  The interviews of the surviving brother were cut off by our own courts and government.  TSA and Homeland Security are NOT working. 

There is breaking news from LAX airport that a man with a rifle got through TSA at LAX and people have been shot.  This just happened at 12:30, so their news accounts are still very iffy, but all major cable news channels are covering it.

Perhaps three hours would be good. and you might not even be knowing that you're being screened. Here's an older article on the process, which uses competent humans and not much on technology. 

Hi Anadyr,

I would not known I was being screened in Tel Aviv were it not for the excessive screening we get elsewhere.  But you're so right about the human factor.  I was aware that they were checking out my eye contact, answers, body language, willingness to answer a few questions easily, etc.

Working on ferreting out people (which I did for several decades) I have little faith in technology and massive screening of masses of people without a human intervention.  We can see you through technology but to understand your motivation and thoughts we need a human to human interaction.

And that is only good as long as there is a conscience involved.  Psychopaths and sociopaths are almost undetectable, aren't they? 

Plus the government seems always to be responding to the last threat.  I think what they do at Tel Aviv is the ONLY successful way to deal with potential terrorism at airports or on airplanes.

I have a theory (and only a theory) that once the attacks of 9/11 occurred with folks getting through airport screens, the terrorists moved on, meaning that the use of airplane terrorism moved down the list of scenarios for them. Of course there is still a threat from this terrorist menace but in my mind we have been given the warning, adjusted our screening (some would say too much), and are no safer than we were on September 10th 2001.  I know this is an unpopular opinion, but...

Just my take

anadyr: I agree with your view. I had to watch the events of 9/11 across the river in NJ at a conference, for had I not been in NJ, I would not be sending this message as I would have been in the WTC. The TSA is, as others better educated than me have said "security theater". Its a good show, but meaningless. Precheck or not, there is no assessment the way the Israeli's do it. The TSA is not skilled or trained except to spot the obvious(and even that can be a challenge). I travel allot, go over the world, and in Europe or Asia, the security theater is the same as the TSA, just with an accent. We are no safer now than before 9/11, just look at what happened today at LAX. Nuts, terrorists, and mental cases will continue to threaten our way of life and no TSA offical or other government authority is going to stop it. If you are right, the threat of use of a jumbo jet as a weapon may have receded, but there are so many other ways the bad people think up, I dont know what else we can do to protect ourselves and loved one.

We have to hope that the bad guys are clueless but alas they are not.  Just hope that someone sees something and says something, as the saying goes. We are only as safe as we know we are, not as we think we are.

And you are another miracle story!!!  Isn't it amazing?!!!  I love to find out about these miracles.  So many happen at all catastrophes, IMHO.  So many people have told me of personal experiences of them.

Your opinion is much more knowledgeable than most, anadyr .

You would have to be right.  They were trained by someone who was trained by the U.S. to be the best at this sort of thing and it was passed along.

I couldn't agree more, Anadyr.  My trip on Delta returning from Tel Aviv was the easiest airport experience I have ever had, despite a colleague who specializes in Islamic history warned me to get there 4 hours ahead.  I got there 3-4 hours ahead, didn't have to take anything off or out, was asked if I had a book in the outside of my suitcase (I did and asked them if they wanted to see it and they said no). It took me 5 minutes from cab through 2 screenings to boarding pass to get a tax refund. The Israelis know how to do screening -- smart screening -- instead of (like we have done and most European allies have followed) subjecting the vast majority of the flying public to invasion of privacy, sometimes to the point of horror stories and what amounts to physical degradation or assault. 

I will never forget that my mother, who had broken her ankle getting out of a cab in Philly visiting me toward the end of her life visiting me for the first time in Maine. Much of that sh