2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2013 11:30 PM by humbear RSS

Ecuador and Peru travel advice please

rnrave Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

, Hi fellow travelers,

My husband and I are going to Ecuador (Guayquil, Quito and Galapagos) and Peru (Cuzco, Machu Picchu and Lima) in February.  I'd love to hear from people who've been there with any suggested "must-sees", tours taken (were they good or bad?), places to go, what to eat, what to buy, anything else.

Also, if you happened to stay at the Marriott properties in either Quito or Cuzco, how did you get to/from the airport?  I'm told the hotel shuttle costs $60/person each way--which seems ridiculous.  Maybe there's another way?

Thank you.  I look forward to hearing from you,

Ruth Ravve

RuthRavve@gmail.com  (two v's in my last name, not a "w")

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cusco, Peru JW Marriott JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Lima, Peru JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Lima
Quito, Ecuador JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Quito
  • Re: Ecuador and Peru travel advice please
    enricopallazzo Platinum

Couple things about Peru.

Lima

Food is amazing wherever you go.  Ceviche, Tiradito, anticuchos, lomo saltado, you name it.  Particularly recommend the following (all pretty expensive):

Javier Wong

Astrid y Gaston

Pescados Capitales

Cheaper food is great too thought.

As for hotels, the JW in Lima is good.  The Westin is actually a little better.

To get to the hotel, you can just hire a private car at the airport when you step out.  It's very safe.

Cuzco

Marriott is amazing.  At Macchu Picchu, try to sign up for Huayna Picchu as well.  Don't do the hotel shuttle, just catch normal cab, way way cheaper.  There's a really good italian-sounding restaurant a block from the hotel.  Concierge can tell you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ecuador and Peru travel advice please
    humbear Platinum

Ruth,

I agree with Enrico, the JW Marriott in Cuzco is indeed amazing. Great staff, we were upgraded to a great suite. We also enjoyed the food at the bar of the JW quite a lot. Everything is within walking distance from the hotel.

I would keep in mind though that you will be in Cuzco and Machu Picchu during their rainy reason. Therefore, make sure that you have some "buffer" time when you visit MP. It might be rainy or cloudy and having an extra day might be the difference between an ok and a great experience up there.

Enjoy your time!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...