6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:35 AM by pigfaceboy RSS

Need 3 nights to Get Gold Status

brandsberg Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Have a trip planned the end of the year to our Marriott Time Share for 7 nights. That will leave me three nights short for gold status. Add a complication that I will be in for knee replacement surgery this Monday and out of commission for awhile. We of course have signed up for credit cards this past year, have called them to credit me for the birthday night as well.

Any suggestions how we can do this by the end of the year? I normally don't get Gold status. We have planned a number of trips using Marriott points next year and would love to get the free breakfast in Vienna and Rome. Silver doesn't cut it.earn

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need 3 nights to Get Gold Status
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

brandsberg,

Come on you can do it!!!  Make Gold.

So sorry to hear of your knee replacement next week, what a bummer.  I know a couple of guys that have had their knee replaced, but don't remember how long it was before they could get up and around.  You've got a few days where you might be able to squeeze in a long weekend stay near your home if you start looking now for the best rates around, you just might make it to your desired Gold Status rather than have to beg, plead, borrow and steal in hopes Marriott Rewards just might offer you Gold since you're so close. If you've had a few consecutive years of being Silver Elite in the rewards program that might help you get them to step you up to Gold, but I'd hate that wait and see policy.

If you can give yourself those few extra nights you need in a hotel someplace even if just down the street, you'll be much happier you did.

Best of luck and keep us Insider's updated on your recovery and plans.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brandsberg Silver

Figured it out. Signed on to my timeshare using intervalworld.com and saw for some reason they had given me an extra week to trade for nothing. Signed up for a week at the Myrtle Beach timeshare for 7 nights right on the beach, 2 bedroom for the $230 in taxes. That will give me a total of 8 more nights counting the promo putting me over at 55 nights. That should do it with some to spare. Yeah, free breakfasts in Rome at the Floro and at the Vienna Messe.

erc Platinum

Welcome aboard and congrats on getting so close.  Don't forget, for every $3,000 you spend on your Marriott credit card, you earn an elite night - so for sure, put everything (that you were going to spend anyway - don't spend just for the credit) and see if you can get an additional night  that way. Then start looking now (use the My Dates are flexible box) and try to find two of the lowest priced properties in your hometown and go and 'rehab' your leg with a relaxing stay and perhaps a nice meal etc. Depending on where you live, you can often find weekend rooms (or the night before Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving for example) for less than $90. An expenditure of $200 or less for two nights is probably worth the Gold status, especially if you make a point to enjoy yourself while at the property.  The European CLs are usually much nicer than the US, so you (especially if traveling w/guest) would capture a lot of the two hotel stay value.  Here's a list of Concierge Lounges so you can see Vienna and Rome offerings:
    MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends - FlyerTalk Forums

And lastly (although, more of a fallback strategy), there have been several examples of folks getting as close as you (especially with the surgery story) and calling Rewards and being granted status - but like I said, I'd only use it as a last resort strategy, the minute you count on it, it might not occur (although, if you do use this strategy and you call and get turned down - call again, depending on what rep you get can often change the outcome).

Good luck with your goal and best wishes for your surgery.

brandsberg Silver

That wan't the whole story however. The beginning of August I had a hip replacement because I waited too long to have the knee replaced.  Then I needed a revision of the hip because the hip slipped down and twisted. We had vacation scheduled for Hilton Head and I got to spend the vacation on the porch reading which is better than home but still... Hopefully the knee goes better. In our home town the cheapest rates at Marriott properties are well over $100. Did sign up for the MegaBonus as we are staying at the timeshare the end of the year, so that would count as one stay.

pigfaceboy Gold 3 Reviews

Put your knee surgery on your rewards card!  You'll get a check back from the insurance company in time to pay the car, (hopefully)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...