5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2013 1:47 PM by apowell123 RSS

Bonus Points Or Perks For A 10 In A Hotel Survey?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just ran across this article in Loyalty Lobby today and decided to ask the question of the Insiders. 

Hotels Cheating On Quality Scores (Bribing Guests) | LoyaltyLobby

Have you ever been offered bonus points or other perks such as free meal/s for a perfect 10 on a survey after a Marriott stay?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Bonus Points Or Perks For A 10 In A Hotel Survey?
    erc Platinum

A twist on your question (points, but only if 10s were granted)

Marriott survey - FlyerTalk Forums

As we know, it's a zoo out there and properties are becoming more 'independent' which can lead to excellence or other things.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

That is crazy. Surveys should be taken seriously for improvement and changes based on guest experiences.. not used as bribes to get a 10 if the service they gave was worth a 5.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

This is one of the biggest problems with most customer satisfaction surveys out there today.  The old addage we statisticians use is "Tortured statistics will confess anything."  You are correct, kk, that this should be taken seriously for improvement, but the fact of the matter is this is usually something used to point fingers at individuals rather than for the intended purpose.  I've had several people mention to me when handing me a receipt at a restaurant or retail store that "a 9 is just as bad as a zero here."  That clued me in on two things - The person feared being reprimanded for any 9s and there was a request to give them all 10s or throw the survey away.

Listening to the VOC (Voice of the Customer) is a little trickier than most managers want to deal with or even realize.  There are TOO many non-relavant factors that can affect and skew results of these surveys.  Bribery or inuendo are just a couple.

I absolutly abhore "rating" type surveys.  "How satisfied were you with your overall stay?" is my favorite one to bash.  This one is so vague and ambiguous it should be banned by law from any survey.  I recently saw an overall rating for a property (not Marriott) of a 1 out of 10 by someone who, when you read the comments, never stayed at the property.  They were upset because they cancelled their reservation at the last minute and did not get their deposit back (the property website clearly states the deposit is non-refundable.)

This is why I hate these so much.  They really tell you nothing.

One more stat story and I'll stop...  Years ago, a congressman addressed his collegues concerning an education bill he was introducing.  One of his supporting statements was that statistics showed that half of the people in the US were below average in intelligence.  Statistic nuts like me had a ROFLMFAO moment with this one... You see, the "average" is the statistical center, meaning that 50% of the values are above average and 50% below.  It was like saying 50% of American men are below average in height... Well, DUH!!!

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

Couldn't agree more with you captbigguy. During one of my recent visits in Houston we had a team dinner at one of the restaurants and the server requested to fill in the "feedback forms" (which required e-mail addresses) and she said that all they do is count the forms each server managed to get filled out by the customers... there was some sort of ranking based on the number of forms... so, feedback didn't matter and the only thing mattered was the number of forms collected.

I recently forwarded a follow-up of a follow-up email (thats right 2 emails) that i had sent to one of the Marriott properties to Customer Service as i never got any acknowledgement or response from the property management. The subject line clearly states which marriott property it was, yet, the Marriott CS was asking me about the property name and other details of stay (even when the email I sent had the date in it). Goes to show how much attention some folks in Marriott CS pay to emails. Also, I had to send a CS a web request just to let folks know that I recently reviewed a property (was the same property that i had issues with) and the response I got was, thank you for the feedback (I mean.. did anyone read my review to check why I bothered sending a note) i guess not...

Best way to get your voice heard is to bring it up to the management's attention while you are at the property and stick with your stance if you are on the right side and write a review for the property while you are there and send the link to the hotel management that this is what your current service feedback is, lets see how you improve and change my thoughts.... hey maybe Mr. Arne Sorenson can take note of issues like these and improve Customer Service and Satisfaction part.

apowell123 Gold 15 Reviews

Why do I miss the good stuff?  Just Kidding!  Unfortunately, I've not ever been offered anything for giving a 10, much less anything for completing the survey.

I think that we SHOULD get a benefit for completing the survey, but I would like to be able to complete without being told the answers. 

If the hotel sucks, Marriott needs to know... if it is a hidden GEM, they may get a 10.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...