51 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2014 6:03 PM by insidenji RSS

Why does Marriott Rewards REQUIRES Facebook Login to Participate in 30 Year Birthday Celebration

davea1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I think that it's absolutely disgusting that my Lifetime Platinum MR Login is NOT adequate to  enter Marriott's 30 year birthday celebration sweepstake.   According to the website I can enter daily BUT ONLY VIA FACEBOOK.   The only alternative seems to be to send in daily letters (which, of course, is not at all realistic)!

I feel that this is a major invasion of my privacy.   MR should not REQUIRE access to my Facebook account in order to enter this sweepstake.   What's more, I shouldn't be REQUIRED to have a Facebook account in order to enter this sweepstake.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why does Marriott Rewards REQUIRES Facebook Login to Participate in 30 Year Birthday Celebration
    nycuws10025 Platinum

I couldn't agree with you more, davea1!

I am a LPE and my spouse is PE.  He does not have a Facebook account; I do.  But I refuse to do Marriott's advertising for them and he can't.  Plus, I refuse to mislead my friends.   Thanks to so many very misguided decisions made by Marriott marketing, the Marriott Rewards program is downright aggravating and, thus, I refuse to suggest to my friends that it's worth their while to consider.

I put great stock in word of mouth advertising from people whose opinion I respect, and I have many who respect my judgement enough to know that I'm not going to tell lies just in order to win a Marriott bed!

If my lifetime of loyalty to Marriott isn't enough to get me invited to Marriott Rewards' 30th birthday without coming to the party via Facebook, my decision to cutback on Marriott stays (six nights so far this year - SIX! after having qualified for PE for something like 18 years before that) appears to be well justified.

Marriott Marketing seems to have an "interesting" approach:  **** off your best customers.  I wish them well with that - particularly since there are other hotel companies which really appear to want my business.  It's Marriott's to lose - and they have!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why does Marriott Rewards REQUIRES Facebook Login to Participate in 30 Year Birthday Celebration
      erc Platinum

I'm in agreement and as californian states, this subject has been discussed before, so ignorance by Marriott is not a legitimate response.

Here's the 'but' portion of my request; should Marriott come to its marketing senses and open contests up to where you can participate by e-mail, rather than the current counter offer of snail mail, DO NOT throw it onto the (hopefully soon to be repaired) Insiders forum like they did with the hotel review contest (apparently a nightmarish example of  "be careful what we hope for").

Good having you back in the game nyc, keep on keepin' on .

nycuws10025 Platinum

Fellow Insiders,

First, my warmest wishes to all of you for a 2014 full of health, happiness and prosperity.  And… (dare we even THINK it?) a Marriott Rewards program which is more responsive to the desires of its members – at least as they’ve been expressed here.

Being a little pressed for time, I’ll be posting this comment in two threads here at Insiders – mainly to save myself having to type two different comments.  My apologies in advance for the shortcut.

I was amused to receive two emails from competing hotel company loyalty programs which almost perfectly seem to address concerns about Marriott Rewards which we have expressed here. In fact, they address concerns so well that I have given some thought to the possibility that representatives of those company programs might just be lurking here at Insiders.  However it may work, it is good to see that “the competition” is responsive to what we’ve been asking for even if Marriott Rewards is NOT.

Appropriate to our concerns about Marriott rewards repeated jamming THEIR ideas of what the proper MegaBonus offer should be for each of us rather than our being deemed responsible enough to make those decisions on our own - I received an email from Hyatt which offers their Hyatt Gold Passport program members the choice (For the benefit of Marriott Rewards staff, the definition is: choice (chois)  n. The power, right, or liberty to choose; option.) in their current bonus program to choose between nights or points!  What a concept!  If you’re interested, the link below will take you to the page. 

While it may not address all of the concerns we’ve expressed here at Insiders, it sure gets a helluva lot closer to what we’ve been asking for (but Marriott hasn’t been delivering) with the MegaBonus program!  Of course I have registered for the Hyatt program and made the choice that is right for me.   Note to Marriott: The sun did rise the next day as expected and this Hyatt Gold Passport member’s feelings toward Hyatt are considerably more beneficial than they are toward Marriott.

http://hyatthotels.hyatt.com/content/partnerlandingpage/en/endless-possibilities.html

And related to the concerns expressed by many of us with the requirement that we had to 1) have a Facebook account and, 2) “like” Marriott Rewards on Facebook in order to participate in the 30 beds in 30 days promotion:  I am reminded of a phrase I learned and sang as young kid:  “Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other’s gold.”  

Marriott’s expressed goal for the “30 Beds” promotion was to increase Facebook participation for Marriott Rewards.  Apparently this goals was so important that the possibility that the required Facebook participation pissed off long-standing and high-yielding customers was of no concern to Marriott Marketing leadership.

Hilton is now in the third week of an on-going promotion to win in their “Ultimate Weekender Sweepstakes” promotion.   All you have to do is enter your email address on their webpage.  (Since my email address is linked to my Hilton HHonors account, I don’t know if one actually has to be a member of the HHonors program or not).   The main point, of course is that one does NOT HAVE to join or “like” the HHonors program on Facebook in order to participate.   However, for those who are okay with Facebook participation, you can “Like” the HHonors progam there and get a password which can be entered in the HHonors site for an additional entry into the sweepstakes.  

So by Hilton's having offered anyone who chooses the opportunity to “Like” HHonors on Facebook to earn a second chance to participate in the sweepstakes - thus honoring the “Make new friends” part of that old childhood phrase, - but by allowing anyone to participate without requiring Facebook participation, they also honor the “But keep the old” portion as well.

Marriott Rewards leadership are you listening?   Oh who am I kidding?   Go ahead! Keep giving your customers reasons to sample the competition’s products!  Just don’t be surprised when they decide they liked the sample and vote with their feet.

For those who might be interested, here’s the link to the HHonors Sweepstakes promotion:

http://hilton.promo.eprize.com/weekender/?affiliate_id=Enter_Now

Again, warmest greetings to all for a great 2014!

NYCUWS10025

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

They do it again.  We complained before and this shows that they don't listen.  If they want to offer a promotion through Facebook, they should match it on MIs for us.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

davea1,

Thanks for bringing to light!

Having been in MR for 30 years, I have never even heard of this "Birthday Party"!  Will have to check it out. 

Thanks, but it does seem strange that you have to enter the contest on FB?

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews

I am not on Facebook and will not be in the future either . . . call me a "dinosaur" I don't care, but I would like to enter the contest.

Is there another way to enter the contest? 

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews

Oops . . . sorry I just relooked at the website and see there is a way to enter "by mail"!  I will see if that is what I want to do????

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I dont facebook, I dont tweet, etc. I am not a dinosaur nor a technophobe. I just dont want or like to have info out on the web that I cannot control. The millenials that run this program dont care what we think or say, as evidenced by the lack of attention to comments we make. I will not particpate in this promotion as I will not join FB as I dont believe in the business, its model or the people who run it. FB is a Fad (anyone remeber AOL?) that in 5 + years will be an also ran. So Marriott, remeber those of us who have been loyal to you and set up a non FB way to get in to this promo, or see more of my stays disappear. They already have been reduced in 2013 and so far Marriott and its franchisees have lost $5k to starwood. I still have more tvael in Nov/Dec and into 2014. Guess that doesnt count for anything, since I am not a millenial, but I do supervise many who are and I tell them where to stay, so not only do you lose my buisness, but you lose thiers as well. What a solid business strategy, I think I will go short your stock and make some $$ that way. Then I can have a last laugh at the Millenials who run MR. I will add real $$ to me and they can play FB till it peters out. My parting words to the Millenials who run MR: Dont look up too fast from your PDA or you might get whiplash!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings davea1 - thanks for participating in the community and asking the question. For the community's reference, here's a list of current contests and sweepstakes. Some involve Insiders, Facebook and even Marriott.com. Insiders Access – Contests, Promotions or Sweepstakes

davea1 Platinum

So there are other FACEBOOK ONLY promotions going on and Marriott has no response to your discriminatory practice of requiring a Facebook login in order to participate in promotions.

And oh, just to be fare I need to point out that there are a few other promotions only available to insiders where we can get $100.   Oh Boy, oh Boy!

How can I escalate this to someone who will respond?   (or better yet fix it)

It is possible to enter the sweepstakes by mail for anyone who prefers:

To enter via mail for a chance to win one of 30 Marriott Bed packages, hand print your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, date of birth and email address on a 3" x 5" piece of paper, insert it into an envelope, affix postage and mail it to:

Marriott Rewards® 30 Beds in 30 DaysSM Sweepstakes
        P.O. Box 7814
        Melville, NY 11775-7814

Entries must be postmarked by November 20, 2013 and received by November 27, 2013, to be eligible for the final Grand Prize random drawing. See Official Rules for complete terms and conditions.

davea1 Platinum

Since entries can be submitted DAILY do you honesty think it's realistic for people to:

"hand print your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, date of birth and email address on a 3" x 5" piece of paper, insert it into an envelope, affix postage and mail it to:

Marriott Rewards® 30 Beds in 30 DaysSM Sweepstakes
          P.O. Box 7814
          Melville, NY 11775-7814"

every day for the next month?

I repeat my earlier question about how I can escalate this issue to someone who can FIX IT .

Your point is heard. Every sweepstakes will be different and have their own rules, eligibility and requirements for entry.

davea1 Platinum

So clearly you are neither empowered nor inclined to take up this issue.

Nor do you seem to be able to even point me toward someone who can address this blatant discrimination.

I would have thought that one of your roles would be to try and handle issues INSIDE this group and not push them outside of the group.

Clearly this insider community is a TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME.

I'm sorry you feel that way, that's not our intention. There is a contact within the sweepstakes rules if you're interested: support@30bedsin30days.com

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I believe davea1 is seeking some help as I am in having someone here on community within Marriott take this question and send it up the flag pole.  I've asked and I know others have so why avoid it and send us off to some sweepstakes support group?  Not only is your reply similar to the one you provided me on the blog regarding this issue as noted above in the link provided, but it's as if you really don't give a rats butt what loyal Marriott Rewards Members think.

Sorry if that came off harsh NathalieF, it's simply my opinion and maybe not shared by others and it is disappointing.

Nothing personal iahflyr – we value everyone’s opinion and we are your point of contact to “send it up the flag pole” and we certainly have. So rather than coming across as I/we don’t care, let me shed a bit more light on the sweepstakes and paraphrase from earlier threads.

As business professionals, I’m sure we could appreciate that the intent of a sweepstakes or contest isn't just to give stuff away, it's meant to engage and activate. In the case of Facebook, we want to increase the fan base (thus giving us more people to have a conversation with) and build awareness of our product (program, brands, benefits, etc). And as I mentioned, every sweepstakes has its own rules and eligibility, but offering this sweepstakes simultaneously on any other communications channel would defeat the purpose of increasing our Facebook fan base.

While not a ‘fix’ I hope this helps a bit - we’ll look for additional sweepstakes opportunities in the future and announce them for you here on Insiders (via the Exclusive News blog and Insiders Access – Contests, Promotions or Sweepstakes).

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

dear community manager: you need to read the news reports on facebook. It subscriber base is dropping, and the people you want to reach, well, they are already somewhere else. Can you remember Myspace? Maybe MR wants to target the 10 people left on that. Maybe Marriott should ask for access to the new healthcare website, as it seems there are 248 Americans who actually got to sign up, seems like a good demographic to target (sorry, just a joke). My point is, MR is free to do what it wants, and we are free to make a choice where we stay, I did and I do, and more often, its not a Marriott. Guess the promo is a real success for Marriott after all, its driving me away, amongst other things that are irritating about MR program changes. The contest should be to enhance loyalty, not diminish it, but maybe that doesnt come thru clear enough through the messages on this board. Sorry if I come off as harsh, I am not a mean person, just very frustrated that after years of loyalty, many of us feel the loss of bennies and treatment to sting too much.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Appreciate your explanation.  Makes sense to me for what it's worth.  Thanks.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I Don't think you need a FB page to enter. Just go to www.30bedsin30days.com and enter.  You do need to submit an email address.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I clicked and it asked for my e-mail address.

If you don't want to submit your email address (which is the means by which they notify you that you're a winner, and for which Marriott already has on file anyway), then I don't know what else to tell you.  Maybe  I'm not understanding the problem.

davea1 Platinum

I  checked the URL again and I don't see what you are saying.   (I even tried both Internet Explorer and FireFox)   Both of them show the same thing ( similar to the image below).

Pushing "Enter Now" takes me to a Facebook login.   Enter by Mail generates a pop-up which talks about the hand written entry.

Please tell me what I'm missing...

Davea1, Californian and others,

I don't get that when I go to the 30bedsin30days.  I think I see the problem.  I'm always automatically logged in to fb when I fire up my browser session (by my own choice), so when I click 'enter now,' it doesn't take me to the fb logon page.  It just takes me directly to the contest entry page where it asks for my name and emai address and the submit button, on the 30bedsin30days website (which I choose to trust since I have already established a trust relationship with Marriott).  So it must be then that you indeed have to have a fb page.  This is not the first Marriott contest that involves fb (to the dismay of many).  What I would do if I were a person who isn't interested in fb, is to create an anonymous fb account (made up name) with a new email address, and then just use that for the contests.  fb is not obtrusive if you create an "anonymous" account.  Anyway, that would seem like the most easy and painless way to participate in this contest.

I often pass up contests and "deals" over the internet when I'm directed to do things that I'm not comfortable with, so I do understand.  Consider trying my suggestion above, if yo want a chance to win a free bed. 

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thanks for the link, Pluto.  I missed the "hand-written"  instructions and have mailed in a couple that I printed.  I sure would like to win a Marriott bed, though.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I would rather burn my MR membership card than to join a contest via FaceBook. Perhaps this is one more reason why I switched to Hilton at the end of January - and have logged 179 paid nights. Sorry Marriott.

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

FB is one of the worse things that happened to mankind. Useless and utter waste of time. I understand that nowadays its all about being digital and informed but I don't to update my status each time I take a "you know what"... by the way, anyone who wants to enter daily, create a new FB account (do not add any friends) and use that for all sweepstakes like the one under discussion

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

In addition to all of the other comments about why not to use FB, due to regulatory compliance issues at work, use of social media is discouraged.  So I don't go down that road.

It seems crazy to me that Marriott would like for us to endorse THEM to our friends at the expense of strengthening the bond with their best customers. Over the years, it seems like there's less to be loyal about and they seem to be impervious to feedback that would improve loyalty.  I don't get it.....

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

I agree with OP anything or site or contest or anything for that matter that requires facebook to login is missing out on extreme potential and also being close minded!

Some people do not like Facebook! I dont! I deleted mine 8 years ago and anything that uses them only I not only frown upon but walk away from. 

nycuws10025 Platinum

Welcome to the "dark side" peteruliano! 

Although this promotion is now history, Marriott, as usual, was late to the party and embraced Facebook (FB) just as it was falling out of favor - not only with many of its best customers (as evidenced by comments here at Insiders) but also with FB users too.

I'm anticipating Marriott Reward to soon jump on the Twitter bandwagon just as copious articles are being published about people whose Twitter accounts have gone dormant - in some cases for many YEARS.

Marriott, which used to be a leader in the hotel industry is now a rather pathetic "follower".

While I do have an active FB account, I am most definitely not wiling to put my reputation on the line with my friends and family to do Marriott's advertising and marketing.  PARTICULARLY since I no longer believe in the value of the Marriot product to me as much as I once did.  Why would I want to publicly "Like" their promotions when, here at Insiders, I continually voice my frustrations and DISLIKE of the many stupid things Marriott and Marriott Rewards are doing?

If you're not a member of Hilton HHonors, I encourage you to join.   You can participate in their many promotional programs without being forced to "like" their HHonors program on FB.  However, if you don't mind helping Hilton do their advertising, you are ABLE to use FB or Twitter for additional chances to win in many of their promotions.

By comparison - Marriott's requirement that you participate in this now-dormant promotion via FB if you want to participate at all.   It's an interesting marketing concept:  **** off your best customers; give them reasons to sample the competition's products, and don't listen to the feedback from your most dedicated customers through the channels provided here at Insiders.   "But the stock price is up!"   Perhaps.  I wonder how much  MORE it might be up if so many if their irked PE and GE members hadn't move significant chunks of their business to Hilton, Starwood, Hyatt, et al?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

There seems to be a lot of people posting on this topic who don't use FB, count me in as a non user too.  No Twitter for me either, just don't get it.  I too am neither a dinosaur nor a techno hillbilly (although I still cling to a 4 1/2 year old BlackBerry.  As my two million mile gift on United I did choose a Kindle Fire HD so now people don't laugh at me behind my back on the plane too much, at least not for my choice of devices).

I prefer being incommunicado most of the time and it does irritate me that some people/corporations just assume everyone is on FB or Twitter.  I recently applied to be a volunteer at the All-Star game this summer in Minneapolis and as part of the process one is supposed to Tweet 10 people about the game and also send info about game to 20 people on FB.  Well I won't be doing that so I guess I'll have to wow them with my baseball knowledge and love of the game.  I hope they pick me.

Is there something wrong with good old e-mail?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...