21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 7:04 PM by pluto77 RSS

I could have cried.....

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

and believe me, I did  .  When we got home from a wonderful trip to Portland, OR (reviews to be written soon), we found that our refrigerator/freezer had gone out.  Normally, during hurricane season, I do not keep much in the freezer because of the chance of power failures.  This year, with hurricane season just about over, I had lots more in the freezer than normal because of sales on chicken and ground turkey.  We had to throw out everything in the freezer and almost everything in the refrigerator.  A repairman can not come until Friday.  I am waiting for a repairman to come tomorrow (Thursday) to install a part on our washer (ongoing saga of 3 1/2 weeks with numerous trips to the washateria!), but that repairman can not work on the frig.  The person scheduling the appt. kept telling my husband that 2 repairmen can't be in our house at the same time.  We didn't want 2 repairmen, we just wanted 1.

I imagine similar catastrophes have happened to other travelers.  Do you have a horror story to share?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: I could have cried.....
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

razorbackfan,

So glad to read of your excellent trip to PDX, and just as sad to read of the issue at homell!!!!

Since you asked, about 15 months ago we left on a Friday around noon for a quick two day visit to Ft. Myers, Fl., in order to clean up and put new flowers around my parents grave.  The neighbor across the street who was taking care of our cat (our bundle of speed, energy, cuddling and fun) calls my wife Saturday morning and asked if we knew we had a hole in the ceiling in one of the bedrooms upstairs!!!  WE WHAT???   It seemed the a/c drip pan had overflowed the day we left and with the summer temps/humidity the a/c was running most of the day dropping condensation on to the ceiling when it finally took no more and crashed to the floor.  We couldn't get a flight out that day without driving to MIA which I wasn't going to do and the damage had already been done, so we asked her to close the bedroom door, put a few towels on the floor by the door to keep the heat from the attic from getting into the rest of the house.  When we arrived home Sunday evening it was a mess.......carpet, bedding, furniture, antiques my wife had collected over the years, all with water stains or soaked. 

The next morning our insurance agent had ServPro our here by 10:00 A.M. and they had moved all the furniture into other rooms, had the carpet and pad pulled up and were setting up fans and blowers to dry the floor.  It was an experience I don't wish on anyone yet all was taken care of by the insurance company without any squabbling over things.  Nothing got ruined except the carpet and pad which we were in the process of looking to get new carpet anyway.

So all in all it worked out and I hope RBF that you can get everything fixed quickly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

So very well said at the end.

I'm glad your calamity ended all right. Razorback's will, too, I'm sure.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, too, razorbackfan.

I'm guessing the fridge repairman is coming first.  You couldn't have both on the same day unless you knew that one would be finished before the other arrived because of the electricity having to be turned off and on by both as well as the water.

I'm glad you had the great memories to relive, too.  It was a calamity, but so many other things could have happened that would have been worse that could have been tragic.

The washer repairman came first (yesterday) because that appointment had been made first.  He told me that he didn't understand why we were told 2 repairmen couldn't come at the same time because they can.  He could not work on the washer and the refrigerator because he is not trained in refrigeration.  He said he had worked on a washer, while a TV repairmant was working on the TV, and another repairman was working on the refrigerator.  FYI-he told me to keep my older appliances and have them repaired if at all possible because they are better than those on the market now.  He also suggested we get the extended warranties.

All good info.  Thanks especially for the extended warranty info.

So many people don't know what they're talking about sometimes, including me.

My father was a maintenance electrician and he got shocked so many times when someone would turn the electricity back on without their knowing he was working on something, it seems to me that there shouldn't be 2 people working on the same electrical circuit at one time when the one wouldn't be thinking of the other.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I feel your pain razorbackfan. The same thing happened to us when returning from a week away in Florida about 5 years ago. Our freezer was out in our garage where both my vehicles were parked. When we opened the garage door, the smell was horrendous and it took me 2 months of keeping the windows down on the vehicles to get rid of the smell in them, even after detailing them. My husband had just killed a deer so we had a full deep freeze and all was ruined. I was just thankful that the deep freeze was outside in the garage (not attached to house).

I guess lots can happen while travelling. As long as we keep all in perspective we can be thankful for the good things we have experienced and muddle through the bad.

Hope all is back to normal very soon in your household and glad you had a nice trip even though you had to come back to a mess.

Like iah, you say what I was trying to say much better than I.

It's terrible to come back from a vacation, or even a job, to find such damage.  The smell that madmax suffered through seems so horrible to me.  I can imagine the gagging nausea all of you had to have gone through.

I see that I didn't read razorback's comments well enough and the refrigerator repairman was coming 2nd.

The area we lived in in SC suffered so much damage in Hugo and it was a year after we moved there, so I had no idea what a hurricane could do, especially that far inland.  It made me cry the next day to see so much damage everywhere, and trees downed like they were a mown field of corn.

My husband worked in Homestead, FL right after Andrew hit and the devastation there was really awful.  Many people took the insurance checks and just left so the broken concrete slabs in the flattened scenery was so sad to see.  The same thing in San Francisco and even quite a ways away was even worse actually than the hurricane damage when he worked there for better than a year right after the quake with roads jagging up from the ground going to nowhere and makeshift tents serving for the buildings at the end of those roads next to a city that was famous for it's boardwalk and midway.  This was even a year after the quake and most had already been cleaned up.

On one of the trips to see him in San Francisco, the Mississippi River was flooded.  Our Amtrak train was the last to be able to pass that year in '93 or '94 until the river completely subsided.  I awoke in the morning on the train as the train was crawling past a small town in MO.  People on the train were standing in the aisles taking pictures of the water lapping the track as the train crept along, but I didn't move for fear of too many people moving around and rocking the train.  Instead, I saw the people who lived near the train trestle out in their yards at early morning, along with the National Guard, watching to see if the sandbag dams would hold.  If they worked at a factory along the river, those jobs had been halted because they couldn't afford to have any water moving in the river and all river travel was stopped completely.

This was all about 6 weeks after our trip had started cross country by train and the rain had just started pouring as we had left the station in Chicago and the rain continued all along that region for a couple of weeks, at least.

The train got past the town but still went slowly until we got to St. Louis, where the water wheel boats were sandwiched between 2 bridges and looked to be at eye level with the train as we crossed the RR bridge at St. Louis.  My husband saw pictures of the train on the news in San Francisco and wondered if that was the train we were in since it was about time for us to be heading back home.  He said the water looked like it was just a few feet below the trestle there.

I remember now that we came home to the electricity being off because I hadn't paid quite enough for the electric bill, lacking about $30 that I had to pay to get the electricity back on.  We also lost everything in the freezer when Hugo went through and the electricity was off for almost a week.  Those aren't the memories I have now, because they are buried so far back in my mind.

Some day, you'll probably barely remember this calamity / catastrophe (whatever semantics you want to use), but I bet you'll always remember this trip.  

We did have a wonderful trip. We absolutely loved Portland and the nearby sights.  I know the mess could have been worse....and smellier.  It probably wouldn't have been so bad either if I hadn't already been without a washing machine for 3 weeks.  The washer is now repaired and I'm waiting for the refrigerator repairman as I write this.

Shortly after the levee broke in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, we helped a church group build a food distribution facility just off St. Charles Avenue.  We saw truck after truck hauling away huge refrigerators that could not be salvaged because of the smell.  That area didn't flood, but had been without power for quite some time.  When they evacuated, I'm sure they thought they'd only be gone a day or two.  When we evacuate for a hurricane, we fill coolers with the contents of the refrigerator and freezer.  As I said, it was unusual for me to have so much in the freezer this time of the year.  All will be back to normal soon.

It doesn't surprise me that you and your husband did that.  And such a good idea about the coolers.  I'd never heard of that.  Do you put them back into the fridge and freezer, take them with you, or what?

brandsberg Silver

That happened to us last year when all of central Virginia lost power for 10 days while we were on vacation visiting our daughter in Germany. Came home to find everything in 2 refrigerators and one freezer ruined, of over $1600. This year when we came home from same vacation our well had been hit by lightening and ruined for a loss of $2900. Motto? Don't go on vacation. :-(

Did you enjoy the trip or were you sorry you went, brandsberg?  I bet you wouldn't trade those memories, especially being able to visit with your daughter.   

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sorry for your loss, Rbfan.

I have to confess that I sometimes worry about coming home to a burned down or burgled/vandalized house.  We don't suffer much in the way of acts of nature where I live, fortunately.  Also, we are a solar powered home, so hopefully the refrigerator/freezer scenario won't ever happen.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Sorry for your catastrophe.  Don't know how you can prevent what happened.  We came home one time to a flooded house, toilet had malfunctioned!  Now we turn off the water before any trip.

Yes, well, not a horror story, just - a story.  I'm leaving for San Diego tomorrow night, back Wednesday.  Then I'm leaving for Sydney on Friday, my husband is leaving for Connecticut on the same day.  The washing machine broke yesterday.  It's over 20 years old.  It broke two months ago, but my husband fixed it.  He couldn't fix it this time.

I think the washing machine gremlins that visited your house have visited mine.

I shouldn't have spent the money in my major appliance repair jar on - travel! 

Thank goodness the dryer still works, knock, knock, knock (on wood).

Is Marriott having a 30 washing machines in 30 days contest any time soon?

Oh, no, Pluto.  I hope it is not catching!  Mine was 11 years old and both repairmen that came encouraged me to get it fixed rather than getting a new one.  I would certainly enter the 30 in 30 contest, but not if it is on Facebook.

Our refrigerator/freezer is running fine now, EXCEPT the ice dispenser doesn't work.  When the ice melted, it probably destroyed the motor.  My husband thinks he can replace that.  At least the ice maker is still working.

I hope you get it working.  Too bad about fb, but we don't get to make the rules.  I have a fb account, but don't use it like I used to.  I have become more and more divested in it over time, so I don't care too much about it.  It's more of an amusement than anything.  Since I have it though, I hope I win a bed!

I hope you win one on fb and I win one with a mail-in entry.

Me too.  Btw, we are proud owners of a new washing machine.  The old one was 21 years old, so not too bad, plus the gal gave us a 10% military discount (home depot) and two $50 energy efficiency rebates from the local public utilities and city water dept.

kathylu Silver 1 Reviews

Friends of ours came back from a cruise and had a leak in a pipe that was in the ceiling...that was  4 months ago and they have to have their whole house gutted.  They are hoping that after the new year it will be done...so it could be worse!!!   What a way to ruin a trip.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

The moral of the story: Never leave your house for a length of time w/o shutting off the water.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That is great advise unless you have pets at home and you need to have the water running so they can be given food/water from a pet sitter.  I have to admit I never thought of doing the water shut off, but still an excellent idea.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...