23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2014 5:03 PM by madmax RSS

Elite Credit for every $3,000 spent.

markwill Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone confirm if the Elite Credits earned for every $3000 spent applies to Marriott Premier credit cards used in Canada? This benefit is not listed when you view the details under the Canadian Card. If not, why not?

Does anybody know?

Thanks,

Mark

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Hamilton
  • Re: Elite Credit for every $3,000 spent.
    erc Platinum

That's a good one. Let's throw it to rising Insiders media star The specified item was not found.

(perhaps answering this will provide good karma for the big 11/7 showdown w/Stanford)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

DEFINITELY WORKS WITH US CARD!

I guess the real question is whether this query should be directed to Marriott Rewards, or Chase? Ultimately, I would think Marriott Rewards would have the final say on this matter, given they issue the points/rewards?

I am still wondering if I can expect elite nights for every $3000 I am spending at Marriott hotels I stay at weekly in Canada. I am well over the $3000 since I got my Marriott CC in May, yet I have not been advised, nor received any Elite Credits.

This his doesn't seem right.

Does anybody body have thoughts or experience in this regard?

Mark

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Doubt if anything will be done, the Canadian Card has different perks period, perhaps call Chase and threaten to cancel the card. I feel your pain bc Im in the same boat, lots of $$$ spent no reward nites.

spreadsheet Platinum 2 Reviews

The costs are indeed added. I stayed in Toronto (at the Blue Jays stadium) and can vouch that they stay and room was counted.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for info spreadsheet.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I was under the impression that the question was if you have a Marriott credit card from the bank that issues them to Canadian citizens, does that card feature an Elite night credit for every $3000 spent. There are a couple of conversations on this site that highlight the Canadian Marriott card and the one in the UK. I'll see if i can find them

Thank you. You are correct, and have articulated my question perfectly.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

I'm still looking but I found this 11 page convo concerning mainly the UK card. It's a bit dated but the topic is similar. There are a couple of folks from Canada that chimed in from time to time. If you are stuck in the Yukon with nothing to do, you may want to read through it...lol.  I'll keep looking and see what else I can find.

Marriott Rewards Visa Card

painplatinum:

Thank you for your information and the wealth of reading material! I'm not in the Yukon, but did find time to scan through all 11 pages.

What I gathered is that the reward offerings on various Marriott Reward Cards are a function of the Bank that is issuing the card, with influence from the respective economies and consumer demographics in the marketplace.

Okay.

So let's look at my situation here in Canada - the GTA (Greater Toronot Area), not the Yukon.

- the bank that issued my card is JP Morgan Chase, N.A. I assume (I know I should not *** u me) N.A. stand for North America, though the PO Box is Toronto. I imagine this is the same Bank that issues the Cards and assosiated Marriott Reward to the American Marriott Credit Cards users.

- The economy in Canada, relative to America and Europe, has been rather resilient (we are very lucky), and, dare I say, it is in part a function of our strong (if not expensive) banking policies and practises. As such the Banks in Canada have weathered the recent economic storms rather nicely, thank you very much (check the quarterly profit statements if you don't want to take my word for it).

- Certainly the consumer demographics (as it relates to reward programs and hotel usage) between Canada and the US (especially business usage) cannot be that different - such that one reward (an elite night per $3000 spent) would be pulled for Canadians.

- I will pay $120 annually for my Marriott Card, whereas the US customers pay a lesser annual fee (please correct me if I am wrong, as I am going on memory here).

- Finally, on Marriott's websight (Log out page at least) that I see all the time when I am on line, it lists all the benefits and perks of the Marriott Premier Card - including the Elite night per $3000 spent - which I got all but one when I signed up, but nowhere does it say these are selectively not available to customers in different counrties for any reason.

I am not buying Marriott's defense that the issuance of Rewards/benefits related to the cards is entirely the Banks decision, and Marriott has no input. I suggest this is a convenient excuse, as I am quite certain that if the banks did anything to tarnish Marriott's reputation, they would certainly take action. as such they must have some say or leverage.

I fail to see, given the reasoning detailed in the 11 pages of discussion (thanks painplatinum) and the details of my situation (above) why I am not entitled to the same rewards as the American card holders.

So Marriott, for my benefit, and your European customers (as per the 11 pages), how about exerting a little presure on the Banks issuing cards with your Brand on them. I could call and complain, but I have no leverage. I would think Marriott would have more leverage, speaking on behalf of their most loyal customers.

How about it Marriott?

Regards,

Mark

erc Platinum

This somewhat reminds me of the old Benny Hill sketch, where Benny as the game show host, tells the contestant, "if you answer this question correctly you win a free trip to Hawaii, here's the question; Do you know the GNP of Uzbekistan?"

The contestant says, "No, I do not know the GNP of Uzbekistan, and that is the correct answer, give me my trip!"

Apparently, the answer to your October 28th post is, "No, nobody knows".

Probably more than you care to know (but you did read the 11 pages) - so, just in case;

The August 8th 2012  (#14) post in the link below, by ismellforyou (with a suspended account-mind you) makes it appear as if elite nights for every $3,000 spent is not one of the benefits. (post #272 October of this year also makes note of no night for $3k spent)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-including-ritz-carlton/1370926-canadian-offer-marriott-rewards-premier-visa-card.html

and if you really want some reading material, here's an even broader category of Canadian miles/points info

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1466579-milesbuzz-canada.html

Good luck

mark,

I'm 100% in your corner. The logic is too great to ignore. That being said, your hotel chain of choice appears to not have either the means or desire to rectify the situation.  Our U.K friends arkwright, chrisf, and sg1974 and/or our Greater European friend klaus29 may share a strategy that will allow you to max your credit card experience in spite of the unequal benefits. I know there are some that don't like the "2nd Class Citizen" status and still manage to score with a credit card.  Good Luck on your campaign for equal rights, even if you're a Leafs fan. ( Go Hawks!)

erc Platinum

Apparently you get either terrific Concierge Lounges (and sweet/suite upgrades) or good credit card deals - you don't get both .

erc,

Well....maybe. I think the Concierge Lounge terrificness is a quality for our Europe and Asian friends. We in the U.S. get the CC bennies. I'm not sure what they get in the Great White North. Poutine?

erc Platinum

Yeah baby, great photo. I'd give up elite nights for poutine and pouding chomeur!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Stop it with the photo's guys, if I start eating like that I'll never stop!

erc Platinum

That's the reason why you walk from the Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain to the Jardin Nelson in Old Town, to paraphrase the John Houseman old ad, "you earrrrrn it" (along with a larger pant size).

Hopefully, during all of my jibber jabber, Marriott has used their leverage to speak on behalf of their most loyal customers and add the elite night credit for every $3k spent.....but I doubt it.

Good luck markwill, we're pulling for you.

To quote Homer Simpson....Ooooooh, pudding somemore!!   lol.   That is some top shelf pouding chomeur in your pic!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi markwill,

It is interesting to see how many humorous responses your original posting has triggered.  Quite fun to read through, eh?!  I think that I've got over the 2nd class citizen issue with Marriott 'branded' CCs.  Although we live in the UK, we use Marriott mostly in the USA and it somewhat grates that we can only get a UK based Marriott CC despite the fact we have a USD bank account.  So, not only do we get pretty poor perks for taking the CC, we also get hit with Exchange Rates back to GBP.

I think that I have now settled for the fact that the Marriott brand in the UK just doesn't have the status that it does in the USA when viewed by European banks.  Ultimately, it seems to come down to the deal that the brand can do with the card suppliers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marriott has the same problem with CC issuers in Canada.  Are the Canadian Marriott CCs issued by the same bank as the USA ones?

Chris

Chris:

Great to hear from you, even if it is just to commiserate! The Marriott CC issued for Canadians (at least mine, but I don't think I'm special) is issued by J.P. Morgan Chase, and that is the bank to which I make my payments. I believe it is the same bank as the lucky US customers. This makes it particularly cruel for Canadians - same hotels, near par exchange rate, same bank. Furthermore, it is not made clear this US perk is not part of the Canadian (or others like the UK) when you apply for the credit card - seems we collectively find out later, once we have the card and are using it.

I also find it interesting that individual properties (hotels) have the discretion to award points to customers - I know, because I have been the fortunate recipient

Sorry Chris, hit the wrong button. Too finish my point.....If individual properties can issue reward points, why can't Marriott do the same to make up some of these gaps to valued members outside of the US?

Anyway, unless Marriott plans to do the right thing - stand up for their most loyal customers, and their own brand - I will be calling J.P. Morgan about the future status of my card. Certainly not a big concern for Marriott or J.P. Morgan, but there are certainly a lot of other credit card options out there, and it might make sense for me to consider something else.

i Will certainly let you (and the community) know what come (if anything) from my discussions.

OK, so I procrastinated a little, but I eventually pursued this a little further - repeatly asking Marriott to explain why I would not be (as a Canadian Marriot Reward Visa Card Holder) entitled to the Elite Night Credit for every $3000 (US) I spend. After repeated emails back and forth, here is what they said/did:

Dear markwill,

I apologize for the delay in response.  I do understand the frustration with the difference in the Chase/Marriott program for international members.  We work closely with each country and their government  to abide to the local
          laws.  Unfortunately due to this we were not able to offer you this benefit.  Due to your loyalty to Marriott and Chase I will add 10,000 points to your account which you may use in the future as you wish.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

"local laws"!! I didn't realise the draconian parliamentary system I live under precluded me from qualifying for Elite Night Credits! This calls for insurrection, revolution, dare I say anarchy!! Really??

I guest all those American customers parking their cars with US State Licence plates in the same Canadian Marriott Courtyard parking lot and using their US Marriott Rewards Visa Cards have no idea they are breaking the "local laws" when they get their Elite Night Credits.

Seriously, thanks for the 10000 points for my trouble, but this is about as lame a response as I have ever seen.

Wow!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

markwill thanks for the update. I am sorry about the answer given as it does not seem logical or fair for the same Credit Card company to have different rules such as this one. I know nothing about Canadian law so I am not sure how getting credits for using the card would be any different there than here. I am glad you received the one time points but I know that doesn't tackle the issue with the CC company. Hopefully Marriott will look into the Chase issue and see if that company is the best way to go with reference to credit cards overall. I wish this could have had a better outcome but there is always tomorrow. If there is one thing I am sure of it is that things change. Come on Marriott! Let's make this one of those changes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...