3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2013 7:25 PM by ssindc RSS

Buying an IPad in Populr with points?

bwhitman Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this... Just became a frequent traveler for work and have recently achieved Gold through the rewards program.  I am considering purchaing an IPad with my points through Populr.  Didnt know if anyone had any experience doing so and whether they thought it was a good move or not? I have been wanting one for some time now and it seems feasable to buy one with points, rather than using cash.  Any promo codes to stretch my points in that store? Any advice would definitely be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Buying an IPad in Populr with points?
    cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi!,

I would check both sites for some reason the points are different. This is what I would do; I would go to the Marriott web site and select ,Use Marriott Reward Points- Then go to, Shop Use Rewards (look for your ipad) after you are done with that site go back to the original page (Use Marriott Reward Points) and select -Shop Populr (look for your ipad there). I would compare both sites. I  called Marriott about something I was buying (there was a difference in the point value) and they gave me some good faith points so I could buy this item. Marriott was unsure why there was a difference in points for the same item considering the sites are suppose to be the same.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Also - consider the value of the MR points - somewhere around a half-cent each on merchandise (see my post from May 2013: Marriott Point Value = Merchandise Redemption) or about 1.5 cents per point using your points on rooms (see my post from April 2012: Marriott vs Hilton Point Value - Conclusions (Part 4)). As such, points for rooms beat merchandise about 3:1.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

You should always think long and hard about pingreeman's excellent analysis and advice. 

Also, before you buy, you might also find this worth considering: Points devaluation or inconsistency?  Be an educated consumer!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...