15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 5:26 PM by anadyr RSS

"No guests please, we're Elites."

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Update, today and tonight I asked management about this sign:

Seems that the uninvited hordes were descending on the Lounge and the Platinums were complaining that the place was packed when they arrived and there was nowhere to sit.  So, hence the sign. 

The Concierge also told me that it is working at the moment and she has not had to enforce anything at all.

And so it goes.

DSCN1317.JPG

A sign at the Concierge Lounge, Denver Marriott South, Lone Tree Colorado. Hope this is not a new policy

Message was edited by: Anadyr

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lone Tree, Colorado, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Denver Marriott South at Park Meadows
  • Re: "No guests please, we're Elites."
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I've seen recently a notice that said you were allowed to bring only one guest to the Concierge Lounge.  Don't remember hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Me too, the one guest sign is somewhere at other more generous hotels.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Actually I don't see a problem with it as long as your guests are part of your reservation, or limited to a friend/co-worker staying at the property.  I've seen similar signs at various CL's around the US and they almost always are in hotels where previously the lounge was over run with folks.  From a visitor standpoint, if the lounge is packed to capacity and runs out of food/beverages/seats I get annoyed.  I put in entirely too many nights to have this perk become valueless.  From a hotel's standpoint, they do actually charge money for access and for meals/services that you would pay for if you didnt have the access.  If these CLs become too much of a cost then I fear we could see the services become more restricted or hours reduced even more.

I have personally witnessed folks just holding the door for their 15 co-workers to enter a lounge and then basically wipe out the food.  Overheard a few of them saying how nice it was to get access from their co-worker, which tells me they had no right to the CL.  The other folks that came in shortly after were turned away as there was nothing for them to eat.

Bottom line, its a perk.  It should be controlled within reason and putting up these types of signs allows them a way to effect change when they feel someone is abusing the system.

You're right on target here.  I've seen the same thing with a large group of folks just taking  over the CL.  Puts a lot of pressure on the Concierge to intervene and regulate access to insure elites are properly serviced.  But that's their  job, although an unpleasant one for them.  You think folks would have some common sense here, but many times they don't.  Unfortunately, the Concierge normally is not equipped to deal with folks who are inconsiderate.  No easy solution here.

erc Platinum

I'm in agreement with both zukracer and bpelican; 1) there should be management of the lounge access and 2) there's no easy solution.

We went around and around with this over the summer (especially on Flyertalk) when Marriott supposedly formalized the elite plus one access. I, would of course like zuk's  'guests as part of reservation' as a policy, and in most all cases I've fortunately never had a problem with this when I've booked two rooms or in the rare case where we've had our adult daughter spend an overnight with us.

In an interview with Forbes earlier this year Sorenson said, “For decades, we’ve been a standards-driven–sometimes detailed-standards driven—company. But we’ve got to relearn our instincts and impulses.”

I believe we will see more and more property by property management of these 'gray area' issues, which of course has its pros and cons, again, leading to the value of Insiders sharing what's what. Insiders can probably influence policy, just not at the macro level. I'm confident the Charleston SC. Renaissance changed their one breakfast per room based on the negative feedback it received.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Erc and others,

The only point I'd add is that the move towards greater autonomy for individual hotels should be seen in the context of a similar recent, edict to GMs to make greater efforts to maximise profitable use of space.

In Europe - the Amsterdam Marriott for example - the response has been clear and immediate: the Exec/Con Lounge is now viewed primarily not as a perk for Elite categories of Rewards members, but rather as a potential revenue/profit source. This is being "mined" via marketing offers aimed particularly at groups - such as passengers from the growing numbers of cruise liners using Amsterdam as part of Baltic itineraries. Group bookings of this kind usually opt for access to the Exec Lounge at a cost, I think, of Euros 65 per guest.

A.

erc Platinum

Yes, the new corporate mindset is being instilled from the top down. Good post, thanks ark

The language should clarify that, and make it clear that paying guests and their families are welcome.  Abuse of the privilege is one thing, but preventing another person who is not paying but staying is not.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

RPD,

Agree wholeheartedly.

And yet there is a further iteration to this scenario that should not be overlooked.

This occurs (as I observed myself earlier this year) when the arrival of a cruise liner coincides with school holidays. The upshot is a situation most closely resembling a cross between a creche and an old folks home. Or, as a Qatari gentleman sitting next to me, put it: "A zoo".

The moral of the story? Well, perhaps there are several:

1. If you are intending the use the E/C Lounge as a perk, make sure you check beforehand (a) docking schedules for cruise liners and/or (b) school holiday dates; or

2. Check availability of nearby Starbucks etc etc; or

3. Stay in your room and take room service.

There was a time when hotels and holidays were uncomplicated events,

A

Nice post.  Thanks for the tips. 

Excellent point, though in Denver any cruise line that docks here is well, lost.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have personally witnessed folks just holding the door for their 15 co-workers to enter a lounge and then basically wipe out the food.

And the seating available is gone too. I have seen this happen (Anaheim marriott, San Fran Marquis and others) and have also seen people waiting outside the door to go in when someone opens it (really bold in my opine). I agree there must be some standard available to monitor going in to insure there are not those that truly are gaming the system getting in.

That's why I really like the Marriott Eastside for the CL because they have someone monitoring the desk at entry and your key shows up on their computer because they greet you on entry (not always) by name. Nobody stands around outside that lounge to get in....and nobody brings a crowd.

The one area I have seen a problem where the lounge is monitored is when someone comes in and creates a bunch of plates to take out for a roomful of folks. But, once again, at the Eastside, when that gentleman returned for a second round of 'to go' deals, the lounge attendant politely informed him that wasn't a continuing option. He might not have been so noticed if he hadn't come in his pajamas!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I always feel it should be the honor system and folks should use good judgement, but.......

I will ask the Concierge the genesis of the sign, and I suppose it is because there has been rampant (or not so) abuse of the entry procedures.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...