6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 1:39 AM by bigcoach6 RSS

Hawaii vacation suggestions please

bigcoach6 Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

When should wife and I go to Hawaii? We're 55 and 58 yrs old.Very limited income. I'm a little slow moving now. Old carpenter. Lots of surgeries on body parts that didn't work. She loves walks on the beach. We're both cancer survivors. Which Island? We've been to Maui long ago. Are other Islands better? Should I use Marriott for best rewards or a travel agent? Is April the best time? Thanks for your time...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Hawaii vacation suggestions please
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi bigcoach6,

So glad to hear you are both survivors, may God continue to bless you both with a long and happy life.

Maui, my favorite island has Vacation Club properties which I have stayed at a few years back and loved very much located on a beautiful resort.  Best time of the year, I've always enjoyed just prior to Memorial Day and just after Labor Day as it seems to be less crowded however: with so many schools now having year round programs it is difficult to know when they have breaks or not.  Weather is always great yet December and January we found it to me more rainy than other times.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnmmu-marriotts-maui-ocean-club-lahaina-and-napili-towers/

There are a few other properties in the Hawaiian Islands which are very good as well and I will see if our resident guru on the islands kharada46 can chime in and give some excellent suggestions as he lives in Honolulu.

I would suggest putting your own travel plans together, as I think it gives more flexibility.  Others here may chime in with other ideas as there are a fine group of travel experienced road warriors that will come to your rescue.

Best of luck and keep us informed of your decisions.  Welcome to MI.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Big Coach welcome aboard. You've started off the right way, research and legwork. I'll leave the island discussions to the experts and your own interests. I enjoyed Oahu and Maui (especially Lahaina) and am taking my adult daughters to the far more busy Waikiki, but like you and your wife, if it was just my wife and I, I would be spending quiet walks on the beach with nice meals. The veterans can weigh in on the different islands. My first suggestion: don't limit yourself to only Marriotts - go wherever the best value is (including airfare). If you do decide on Marriott, keep an eye on the Rewards members deals when you sign into Marriott.com (they often run reduced rates on the time shares).

If you haven't already, while you obtain island info from the Insiders, I suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the following sites for some pretty decent potential savings:

http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/hawaii/deals

restaurant.com offers deals $25 for $10 and often $25 for $4,5 or 6. Go to the site type in the zip code (based on whatever island you decide to go to) and see if any restaurants interest you. Then go to Trip Advisor or yelp and see how others rate the restaurant you're interested in and also check out location for convenience.

Amazon local (just type it into google and then narrow down the geography) also has similar deals as well as Living Social and of course Groupon. Take a look now and then fine tune your search as you get more specific with your travel plans. I've saved significant amounts on activities that I intended to do from the get go.

Also, be sure to read the More Like This (in Orange Print over to the right) posts, as well as type in Hawaii in the upper left box labelled search, not only will it provide you with excellent starting info, it will help you craft a more specific gameplan when you are ready which will help other Insiders provide you with even more specific strategies.

Best of luck toward a terrific trip.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm a big fan of Kauai. Not as busy (crowded) as Oahu or Maui. You can throw away your watch and just run on "island time." My guess is that the best deals might be found on Oahu or Maui during the off season, but definitely look at some of the less traveled places. Bargains can be found almost anywhere.

molly416 Platinum

Bigcoach6 - Maui is my favorite for a slow pace and easy beach access. I'd recommend the Maui Hotels | Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. The hotel has an unobstructed view of the ocean, a nice gentle walking path (cemented) and a great adult only pool. Last time we stayed there we used points and had an ocean front first floor room. Sitting on our lanai watching the whales and the sunset was highlight.

Also, April is a great time to go. If scheduling allows, try to go two weeks before Easter Sunday. You'll miss the crowds of families and save a little bit of money. Plus the whales are out!

Best of luck!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Aloha bigcoach6!

You and you're wife are amazing!  I'm glad you're both survivors!  Some great tips here from everyone else, but your decision will ultimately depend on what you want to do/experience.  Oahu is my home is definitely where it's at.  Most of the dining options, shopping, etc. are here.  It's well developed with a comprehensive public transportation system and tons of options as far as what to do.  However, it is incredibly busy and crowded.  Honolulu is, after all, a major American city with around 1 million inhabitants. 

Maui would be the next most developed and crowded island, but is also much more geographically diverse, has a lot more land, and is less crowded.  There is a decent size dining scene there and decent shopping, but nothing on the scale of what Honolulu offers.  But since you've already been here, I won't bore you with the details

Kauai is one of the smallest of the main islands that has a Marriott on it.  There are actually quite a few Marriotts on Kauai.  The island on a whole is quite rural and sparsely populated.  If you want to get away from it all, it's a good option.  The scenery is beautiful, and the beach in Princeville is stunning.  The Naupali Coast is also one of the most beautiful and rugged coastlines in the world, while we have our own version of the Grand Canyon on Kauai as well.  One Thursday a month, the historic Grove Farms runs it's historic steam locomotives with free rides for the public.  This is your best option if you're really looking for a getaway.

The last remaining island with a Marriott is the Big Island (Hawaii Island).  Marriotts are located only on the Kona side of the island, one in Kona itself (a Courtyard) and the other is located on the Waikoloa Resort.  The Big Island is the most geographically diverse of all the Hawaiian Islands going from white, black, or green sand beaches to snow capped volcanic mountains.  While Maui has sunrise atop Haleakala, the Big Island has sunset and stargazing atop Mouna Kea.  Of course the Hilo side has Volcanoes National Park as well. 

For the best weather, Memorial Day thru the end of September is usually a good option, though summers get quite hot now days.  Weather is always difficult to predict here and can be clear and sunny, to smothered in volcanic smog (VOG), to rainstorms, and on the extreme side we do have the occasional hail storm with funnel clouds (they rarely touch ground).  This past summer has been particularly unusual weather wise, but the weather is always dependent on the wind.  South, Southwesterly winds means Kona Weather.  Kona weather means hot, muggy, and VOGGY.  Northerly winds usually means clearer, cooler, drier weather.  But the weather shifts often and is very difficult to predict.  Summertime also means Southern swells, so the better surf will be on southern shores.  Winter normally means the giant Northerly swells, and thus the huge waves that come crashing into the northern shores. 

Anyhow, I hope my info helps.  If you want any more specific information, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist!  Good luck in your planning and to many more years of health!

By the way, please see my albums for the Oahu Marriotts and my own photo collection of Oahu:

Hawaii The Beautiful

JW Marriott Ihilani

Waikiki Beach Marriott

Courtyard Waikiki Beach

bigcoach6 Silver 1 Reviews

Thanks everyone. You will make this "bucket list" trip one to remember with all your valuable information.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...