10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 7:48 PM by anadyr RSS

Polarity and its discontents

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, here goes: 

I have been a contributor to Marriott Rewards Insiders (first named Montereyman, but my account was hacked so I changed it to Stepping Stones) from the second day of its existence, served as an Ambassador (as Stepping Stones) for two years, even reached lofty heights in posting status (after taking nearly a year off and being reincarnated as Anadyr) without resorting to cheap posting tricks (well, maybe just a few one liners but then who among us is perfect?)

I've just seen a post that calls on me among others to "pump up the site" whatever that means, but I'd rather think of my personal relationship with this site in terms of scientific laws, namely magnetism and its manifestations. The ancient Greeks (who were not members of any loyalty programs) living in the city of Magnesia, and some early Chinese knew about stones (possibly chunks of iron ore struck by lightning) with the power to attract iron. A steel needle stroked with such a "lodestone" became "magnetic" as well, and around 1000 the Chinese found that such a needle, when freely suspended, pointed north-south.  Thus, something that is magnetic attracts something else. 

Not so for me with Insiders.

Well, I guess the  attraction has dimmed for me, and dimmed quite a bit.  I am less and less attracted to the site, preferring to simply make a reservation then stay at a Marriott, and never post about it.  And, as for unforgivable sins, I had deleted my Insiders tab on Firefox! (Slap on the hand already accepted).  I find that the site has very little that I need or want (get ready to tell me off, site approvers), and that I am becoming polarized (not a reference to either ice covered mass but to the polarity in magnetism). I check it when someone tags or mentions me, but to tell the truth the site has almost no value for me in my day to day dealings.  It must be me, since there are plenty of others out there, newbies and 'old-bies', who post frequently.

This is not an I quit post, but rather a statement of fact. As in advertising, nothing can titillate the public forever, and Insiders appears to a different demographic than I reside in.  (grumpy old men as my wife calls it)  So, thanks for the offer to pump us all up (scenes of old SNL skits rush through my head--"we're going to pump you up!").

I'll check in here from time to time, maybe even post a time or two, continue to stay at Marriott hotels when the price is right (that's getting harder to do these days), and live the life of a retired (semi) person who is less attracted to Marriott Rewards Insiders than in the past. 

I have no solutions for fixing this polarity issue so I can offer none. I leave that to others.

Sincerely,

Anadyr/Stepping Stones/Montereyman (a-la witness protection, Insiders style)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Polarity and its discontents
    erc Platinum

Well, ol' mighty one, as Freddie Mercury sang, 

Now, since you're even older than me, I'll overlook that the request was to prime the pump

but, since there's nothing better than an activated Anadyr

we'll still try to Pump You Up

Great rates in Washington DC over the December to January holiday slow times (as you say, the price is right). Come on into town and be recognized for your years of service (we could probably even roust up michellel).  Best wishes fellow Insider, thanks for all the terrific insights. Looking forward to your occasional checking in from time to time.  Erc

ps - did you mean that you are semi-retired or semi-person?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Well ERC that's a triple copyright violation, as I recall, and I have forwarded this post to the Library of Congress for their review and damage estimate.

I am a lover of semi-sweet chocolate morsels, the rest is still controlled information under the Official Secrets Act, Last time I was in DC I was unable to connect with the folks in Bethesda so I will wait for the next debt ceiling crisis to return.  Now I am busy trying to enroll in the ACA, and I figure that at this rate I will succeed in a decade or so.  I have already violated my occasional checking promise so I musst go clean out the lint filter in the dryer.

PS, we had a 'Muskrat Love' event last evening on the skylights here in olde Monterey, but not the Captain and Tenille kind since they were varmints, as in Raccoons making merry.  So as you see I am busy watching wildlife.

SS/MM/AR

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Anadyr and Erc,

I wondered the same thing (Erc's last question).  Okay, so I know the answer, but the 'semi person' made me smile - thanks.  Oh, and you're not alone.  My husband's call sign with the grandkids is Grumpy.  (Grandmere and Grumpy, also far lesser known as Grandpere).  Why I leave him home when I travel (but uh oh, he's gearing up to apply for his passport, look out now, World, you have been put on notice - time for me to dust off my 'He's not with me' sign.  Awe, c'mon now.  Just having a bit of fun here.)

Enjoy your day.

I feel less burdened now know that others share my situation.  Ciao as we say in the North
      End and Go Sox!!!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

anadyr,

If you leave we'll find you and drag you back for GUEST APPEARANCES, it would be better if you check in from time to time with your wit, knowledge, thoughts and all else that's given us Insiders things to think about as well as chuckle over.

Ya know, you and jerrycoin should really get a little side bet on the outcome of the Series, if you haven't already. 

Seeing all this talk about "Grumpy" I'm glad my age mentally is still around 18ish, come on down to my side of the scale, it's time for us older folks to stand up and take the young whipper snappers along for the ride....for whatever that means!

pluto77,

Don't tell your Grumpy Guy about Global Entry, just leave him in line......

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

FlyMan,

Lol!  That made my day.  Although then we'll only think we know what Grumpy is! (At least he was nice enough to drive down to beautiful - not - border town San Ysidro with me when I got mine.)

Anadyr, too late.  'You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.'  Like the pilot, grillmaster, airplane conductor and all around, good-natured resident SA says (and all around, good-natured, tongue-in-cheek wiseguy Erc says), we need your wit, wisdom and terrific insights.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

So very glad ya got a good laugh, every now and again Texas Tower Guy (TTG) will come up with some wildly goofy idea.

Jerry wanted to do a coin flip but he has so many I demurred.  And I was afraid that I might run afoul of this gem in the Marriott Rewards terms and conditions:

The Company reserves the right to revoke, cancel or suspend any Rewards Program Membership, elite membership status (including Lifetime Silver, Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum status), Reward, and/or any and all unredeemed Points or Miles, or take other action at its discretion, at any time with immediate effect and without written notice, if Company believes the Member has (1) violated any of the Program Rules, (2) failed to pay any bills or accounts due to the Company or a participating hotel or any ownership related fees owed to Marriott Vacation Club, (3) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable law, regulations or ordinances, (4) engaged in any misconduct or wrongdoing in connection with the Rewards Program, including without limitation, involving Point credit, Mile credit, Reward use, or Member benefits, or (5) engaged in abusive, fraudulent, inappropriate, or hostile conduct in connection with the Rewards Program, the participating hotels or their guests or employees, or the Company or its employees.

Rule number five is the one I referred to.

My cameos will be frequent and of course uncompensated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...