38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 4:28 AM by kharada46 RSS

"Going to Kansas City" via "Rails"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Amtrak has a nice service from "The Gateway to the West" (St. Louis) and Kansas City!  There are many historic cities along the way, and you can do the 250 mile trip for as little as $25/person!

With a hotel destination of The FF, Union Hill, a nice feature of the hotel is they have a complimentary shuttle from Union Station to the FF.  Another nice FF feature is, once you have arrived at the hotel, they also provide free transportation to local dining and shopping.

Here's how the route goes, and if you have any contributions to the trip or cities, please share with all of us!

First stop is historic, Washington, Mo.:  Famous for it's role in the historic Lewis & Clark trip in early 1800.  Since then, it is a city proud of its river location and a city of many sights.

IMG_3436.JPG

A good view of the Missouri River from the depot in Washington!

Next, Herman, Mo: Voted "The most beautiful city in Missouri"!  A city full of vineyards, you can enjoy a good German meal, with plenty of "Vino" to accompany your meal!

IMG_3442.JPG

Downtown is special in Herman.  It was raining, but you could enjoy the tour busses and downtown touring on a pretty day!

Then a stop at Missouri's capital, Jefferson City, another "River town", with a lot of history.  You can enjoy a view of The Capital Building!

IMG_3444.jpg

Waving bye-bye to The beautiful Capital city!

Next you will enjoy a stop at Sedalia, Mo:  The home of "The Missouri State Fair"!

IMG_3445.JPG

Short stop in this interesting town.

On to Independence, Mo.  "The Home of Harry Truman, former President of The United State"!

IMG_3449.JPG

The Truman Museum is another great place to visit here!

Final stop is the destination, Kansas City, Union Station!

IMG_3453.JPG

A wonderful meal awaits you at Pierponts at Union Station.  Famous for its Kansas City Steaks!

The FF is most pleasant and located a few hundred yards from the train station, you can be welcomed by this gentleman, who will happily shuttle you to the FF!

IMG_3452.JPG

Claude, the "President of Transportation", will welcome you to a well staffed property!

Enjoy, and share your experiences with other MRI!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kansas City, Missouri, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
  • Re: "Going to Kansas City" via "Rails"!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks for sharing Jerry!  Looks like a lot of fun and what a bargain! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kh,

Yes, it is enjoyable!

One of the things that you can enjoy is bringing your own food/drink on the train.  It is nice to have a "Picnic", as you enjoy the ride!

When are you leaving for Europe?  It's coming up soon isn't it?

lol, yessir!  Definitely can't do that on the airplane unless you buy it after security! 

Europe is coming up soon!  I've got little over 2 weeks to go!  There we shall ride what the US needs to do with it's rail system

kh,

Absolutely true!  It does seem like the rail service in the US is improving!

You will have to let us at MRI, know how your trip is going.

Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks Jerry!  Sure will!  Got a little while more before we go though...

US rail is improving, especially Acela Express, however, it really does need its own dedicated HS line.  I'm interested to see if the HS rail system ever gets built in California too

kh,

When you make it to the mainland someday, you can visit STL/Chicago.  They are putting a HS train route in place.  It will only go 120mph, but will still beat driving.  Nothing like the Eurostar.  Hope you have a chance to ride the "Rails" on the Eurostar soon!  Nothing like it!

DSCN0056_0042.jpg

Enjoy your trip!

Jerry,

That sounds like fun!  I do want to go to Chicago one day... especially for the amazing cuisine! 

I've been on the Eurostar long ago before HS1 opened back in '99.  This time we'll be on Thalys to Brussels  

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Great photos and review as always, I haven't been on a train in the U.S. since the Nixon years I bet, unless you count subways (NOT) in Boston, D.C., NYC and Chicago!!!

What did you bring for your picnic?   Anything made from grapes?

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for the question!

Yes, I had a picnic, and had some great BBQ from Jack Stacks on the return trip!  Yes, had some "Fortified", grape juice.  Had to per my MD's orders, "Blood thinner medicine"!

The business class seats were very nice and there were two electrical outlets for individual use.  Used one for the phone recharger and the other for the laptop.  This train did not have wi-fi but some do.  Most relaxing, and 4-5 hours went by very quickly!

Next trip will be to Chicago, but will be driving next week!

IMG_0417.JPG

The Windy City is wonderful to approach on the rails as well!

I love it jerrycoin,

You're the supreme traveler.....from picnic on a train to your wonderful pictures and experiences, but you topped it all with "MD's orders"  Perfect!

IAHFLYR,

Thank-you for your support!  It's a "Battle" everyday, but I must listen to my Dr.!  We don't get along at all, but what's a traveler to do?

I "Suffered" thru some whites and a little red before I had to really "knuckle down" and take a huge dose of my most despised medicine, "Port"!  Well I survived another medical day and the FF was most welcoming upon my return.

Now, I am faced with the same "Dilemma" this coming week, on my Chicago trip!

What's a fellow to do?

I guess I will just "Suck it up"!  Follow the Dr's orders and "Take my medicine"!  BTW, I will be ready for the next "Prohibition"!

Well next week will allow me to re-qualify for PP again this year.  Hope to continue to travel with all of these "Ailments"!

Thanks 'FLYR", for your understanding and support!

Jerry,

I always try to address the medical issue on travel days right from wake up till, well whenever.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

TTG,

You must be related to the young couple I sat across from last Saturday morning on my 7am flight.  As soon as we hit cruising altitude, they were slamming down that complimentary beer and wine.  They were definitely taking 'taking advantage of the free stuff' to a whole new level.

HAHAHA they waited that long, geez.....we hit the UA Club and start with some type of beverage just cannot attempt beer that early in the day......and since my wife knows what I did for work and some of those who are still working she feels in is her best interest to NOT be totally aware of what is going on in and around the airport area.  So a bloody mary in the club then another pre-departure beverage and she's feeling much better about flying!

Very nice report, Jerry.

pluto,

I really don't remember the report?

That was one of the "Side Effects" my Dr. warned me about if I followed her medical recommendations!

Thanks pluto, and IAHFLR!  You two "Break me up"!

Will try to post more travel reports if I can just "Remember" where I am going!

Chicago, Jerry.  Chicago.  Just remember to take your "viti-meds" and you will be fine.

pluto,

You too, must have a medical license.  If not you may be "Practicing" without one!  I promise not to report you, as you have issued some valuable "Medical advice"!

BTW, just in, and some awful news!  My Dr. has issued some travel "Must" for next year, and it will alter my schedule tremendously.  For health reasons, here is the demands placed upon my for my "Good health"!

January, "A must do trip to the "Vodka Winterfest" in Moscow!

Spring, "New Orleans, for a week of Mardi Gras"!  Also, "A week in Dublin for St. Patricks Day".

Then a week in Paris for "Bastille Day" shortly after a week of "Carnival" in Rio!

pluto, as she spoke, it got even more "Depressing", as more demands to make many sporting events involving European soccer, SuperBowl, and the list was a long one.  I finally just "Hung up" on all of this bad news!

As if that wasn't enough, just before I hung up on her, she went into a "Rant" on how important "Octoberfest" would be for a minimum of two weeks in Munich!  That was "The straw, that broke the camels back"!

Tomorrow, I am making arrangements to travel to Chicago and am looking for new Dr. near the Marriott Miracle Mile!  Enough is enough!  I may not be in the greatest of health right now, but am not going to "Get off the couch" and stop watching re-runs of "Mr. Ed" to lower my standards and take up "Healthy living"!

pluto, if you or IAHFLYR, have anymore healthy advice, please let me know.  I will incorporate in my upcoming Marriott travels.

Location Brand Hotel
          Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

jerrycoin,

That Dr. and I must meet soon.....as my travel plans for medical reasons are only into January of next year and I was told I needed the special mixing beverage from the Caribbean.

However; there is a rumor floating around my house (wife won't confirm it yet) that my Dr., called and left a voice mail about needing to get to Japan as they have some beverage that is clear and cures all.  I do expect another call today explaining the Italian exercise one can gain from grape stomping so that could be a harvest time travel requirement.

IAHFLYR,

Sounds like you are going to get some wonderful exercise, "Stomping the grapes"!

Will be glad to refer you to my Dr., I have had enough "Un-sound" advice!  She reports she is giving up her medical license and becoming a "Travel agent"!

No way is she booking trips for me!  She only stays at Motel 6's.  Says she has to because she could never find the "Light switch" in other hotels!

I totally understood, "We all have our problems, when traveling!"

Jerry,

You are too funny.  Remember as well, that it can be chilly in both Nov. (Rome) and Feb. (London).  You may need your Dr. to prescribe the necessary "Hot Toddies."

pluto,

Thanks for the good advice!

She wanted to go with me, "To administer the proper medicine"!  I "Put my foot down and said absolutely NOT!".  There is no way I am going to take the "Boredom" out of a good trip to London or Rome! 

Told her she needs to find patients that enjoy "Sandals" or all inclusive vacations.  There the medicine is "included" with the room! Thinks that got her "Off my back"!  That's enough about her, she would ruin a good time anywhere!

jerrycoin,

I'm not much into sandals or all inclusive trips, but I wear a pair of flip flops out in no time.

IAHFLYR,

Isn't that a part of a Jimmy Buffet song? M-ville?

Never done anything like Sandals or all inclusive either, and am not going to start now.  I don't care what this Dr. prescribes!

Like you indicated, no place like, "Give me a home, a home on the Range", no it should be "A home with a grill"!

How about a grill on a train?

IAHFLYR,

That could be a difficult one to do!

There were signs posted about AMTRAK not being allowed to let you use their microwave, and they had no grill on the train.  Now when I took a private car we did grill out the back, but that is "Pushing it"!

Best bet is to just bring your carryout on board and keep it in a thermal bag till you dine!

IMG_0402.JPG

Where's the grill?  This is the way to travel by rail!

erc Platinum

Once again, another great travel post from The Man. Inspired by the post, I looked up some Amtrak travel from Alexandria, Va. to Williamsburg, Va. and whereas not as great as your deal, still a doable $35, combined with the $76 Marriott Time Share Rewards Offer makes for a great fall weekend. Thanks for sharing.

BTW - yes, Jimmy sang, "Blew out my flip flop, Stepped on a pop top (look it up The specified item was not found.)

erc,

Thanks for the kind words!

NO, I am not "The Man"!  He died recently and all in St. Louis miss "Stan"!

But I do appreciate you reference.  BTW, that looks like a great trip to Williamsburg!  If you go, let me recommend the RI!  They really took care of me on the last trip!

erc, please keep the information coming, your posts are most helpful!

superchief1 Platinum

Jerryc,

Great trip report! Thanks for posting. I have taken that train many times when I lived in KC and STL. Does the STL train still stop at Union Station? If so, this is one of the few trains today that have magnificent historic stations at both ends. The Southwest Chief also travels through KC on to ALB., Flagstaff, and LA. Flagstaff is a great location for visiting the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Phoenix. Dinner at Jack Stak's followed by a Boulevard at Pierponts was our preferred way to start a trip.

The worse thing about now living in Columbus is there are no trains stops in the area, with the closest beign a 3x/week Cardinal in Cincinnati. I wish there was a North-South train throught the Midwest connecting Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, Chatanooga, Atlanta, and on to Florida. Traffic on I-75 makes driving a real PIA.  

supercheif1,

Yes, I-75 is most difficult!

You "Nailed" it on Jack Stacks, and Pierponts!

Yes, AMTRAK, stops close to Union Station in STL, but it's still a small walk!

There is train service in Cincy, as AMTRAK runs from Chicago to WDC!

Go to that AMTRAK website and you will see the routes!

Thanks for you post!

superchief1 Platinum

I'm looking forward to our 'rail cruise' next April. We are taking the Empire Builder from CHI to Portland, and the Coast Starlight from Portland to LA. We wil then spend a week at our Marriott timeshare in Newport Coast. We have a Bedroom, which includes all meals. I used 30K Amtrak points which I earned by converting my CO miles when United bought them (I hate United). I am getting a trip for 2 with 3 days of meals and accommodations (on the train) for 30K CO miles, which I consider to be a great value.  Better yet, we get to see the country while enjoying our 'heart medication'.

superchief1,

Sounds like a grand time awaits down the coast, it's so lovely.   Make sure and wave as you pass Lincoln City, we will be out there for a week at the beach house we rent just after Thanksgiving and can't wait.  As for UA, well I think about everyone on MI knows my feelings on that thing!

IAHFLYR,

Oh, Lincoln City, what a place!

The drive down to Crescent City is so wonderful!  Lighthouse touring, with frequent stops for "Refreshments" as you enjoy the scenery!

Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories!

Have a great time!

jerrycoin,

This will be our 8th trip to that same beach house, a beautiful place and always spotless.....and then the coast!   They'll be some grilling going on that week for sure.

P1010441.JPG64.JPGS3600027.JPG

Amazing sunsets looking out those huge windows just before the grill heats up!

IAHFLYR,

Absolutely beautiful!

What a relaxing place!  You grilled burger looks wonderful, and I see you have some "White medication", to go along with the sunset!

Have a wonderful time and let us enjoy more photo's when you can.

It's a very special place....can't wait to get back there in about five weeks for our much belated anniversary!   If you remind me (white medication) I'll take some fish grilling pictures as long as it doesn't get devoured before I find the camera.

Beautiful!! 

superchief1,

Wow, that is a great trip you have planned!  That is a clever way you have financed it as well!  Thanks for sharing, I never knew about the AMTRAK points, especially with the United move.

What a wonderful way to see some fantastic country!  Please send us plenty of pictures and make sure you have a good supply of "Heart medicine"!

It's a long, lonely way out West, and "Pharmacies", can be difficult to find while riding the rails!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...