20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2013 3:00 AM by eb5147 RSS

Do you talk the way you write?

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Would anyone know it was you talking by the way you write?

If you're like me, the answer is no.   

I'm southern and I LOVE to hear people talk.  I like to ask them about their accents and where they come from.  It has to do with travel, doesn't it?  I get to find out one place where all of these interesting people have been just from where their accents are from.  When they answer, they often say something like, "Well, I was born in NY but I grew up in FL and my father was in the Air Force so we lived all over the world.".

Fascinating!!!  Just from one little question!!!

But like I said, I'm southern.  I know that my writing is proper English (American), but my speech isn't.

I can talk just as fast as any northerner just by putting 3 words into 4 letters.  "J'eet?"  (Did you eat?)

Where ya' goin'?  (It's kind of like Spanish where the "e" sound isn't said twice in a row, isn't it like veinte y uno?)

That's sumpin. 

That's riiiight.

Then there are words that drive my son crazy.  He's southern, but he has the best grammar and no southern talk.  The one that drives him the craziest is "warsh".

I've got to warsh the dishes, clothes, hands, etc.

My husband is mid-western and his verbs drive me crazy.  Past tense with a helper verb nearly every time.  "He had went."

In the 40 years I've known him, I bet I could count the number of times he got the verb right on both hands and, MAYBE, my toes, too.

But the main point here is that if you heard me, you wouldn't recognize that I was the same person whose posts you sometimes read here.

Anyone else?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do you talk the way you write?
    77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

eb, I don't know that my Southern roots show themselves in my writing, but I do know that accents can open conversations and encourage people to connect.  My sister & I were in Scotland around 1970 and thought we must have some iced down CocaCola. We were in a very small town in Loch Awe and could not find any. We ventured into a local pub (this was completely out of our comfort zone at the time) & asked "Do ya'll serve CocaCola?"

Every bar stool in the place turned. The bartender replied "if you will keep talking like that you can have all you want!"

They served us our cokes and began to ask questions about the South and our travels. Soon, sisters, wives, cousins, brothers, whatever, joined us in this tiny, quaint pub to share stories.  We were quite the novelty at first, but before we parted ways, we were reminded of how much we are so much alike, different, delightful and altogether entertaining.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

All 3 of us just died laughing at your story.  Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks for posting the "Do you talk...."

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I wonder what I sound like?  I was born in Louisiana, grew up in Arkansas, lived in Okinawa, North Carolina, Hawaii, and back to Louisiana.  I find it interesting that after living in Louisiana for 23 years, people usually say, "you're not from Louisiana, are you?".

I have not learned to say "make groceries"--I shop for groceries.  I do not "get down"--I get out of the car.  I don't say urnge for orange, nor idear for idea.  And I don't say "where y'at?" either.  I don't say Go Tigers either, but I love to yell Go Hogs Go!

razor, I remember living around the Outer Banks of North Carolina & folks would ask "what ya looking" when they wanted to know what you were looking for.  I hope your Hogs Go!!! But I gotta say "Roll, Tide, Roll!!"razorbackfan

When we moved to SC in '88, a couple of the new terms for me were "just passed" instead of "just died", and "I'm just pullin'." for "I'm just joking" or "I'm pulling your leg.".

Which reminds me of a time I was in the library at USC in Columbia.  There was a woman from Spain that I started talking to.  She was a Spanish professor at the university and was telling me that it was really hard to live here in the states because we had so much slang, whereas, Spanish didn't have any slang.

I said, "Yeah, like '¡No me tomes el pelo!'."  She kind of gasped and immediately left to talk to her friend since she hadn't realized they had colloquialisms.

In our high school Spanish class, we learned that it translated as "Stop pulling my leg." even though pelo is hair.    We had an experimental Spanish curriculum that gave us conversations and general translations only.

Unlike last years, I did not have high hopes this year.  So far, most of the predictions are correct.  Tonight will be our fourth game in a row against top 20 teams.  No rest for the weary.......

Do they ever tell you where you sound like you're from?

I went to bed thinking something just wasn't right about what I wrote....I've lived in Louisiana for 30 years!  Time really flies when you are having fun.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Rbf,

They also say 'get your picture made' instead of 'take your picture,' don't they?

I've heard 'Set-ember' instead of 'September', 'psghetti' instead of 'spaghetti'.  Warsh and Eye-talian just drive me up a wall.

I don't think I've heard "get your picture made", but I have heard psghetti and warsh.

erc Platinum

Growing up in the Northern Virginia (capitalized because it's often the answer to the question, "Where do you live?) suburbs of DC, I've grown to pretty closely speak the way I write, probably as a result of numerous presentations and/or proposals throughout the years (usually a request for capital for a start up company or an explanation of encouragement for those now seeking). And yes, I do verbalize thoughts parenthetically as Insiders have observed in my writing style, not as chaotically as Robin Williams or Jim Kramer (for CNBC fans), but I have been known to stretch a sentence into a paragraph or two with my 'tree' of thoughts. Friends like to say I can speak on a subject for hours.....days, if I actually know anything about it.

I was considered a fast talking Yankee by my close friends and relatives from areas Richmond on south, often requested to 'simmer down' (granted, not all of it was only directed toward language) and was actually asked in a friendly inquisitive way by a blue blooded mainliner from Philly (based on accent alone, he didn't know where I was from, I was living in Jersey at the time) if I had any relatives who had made moonshine (it turns out I did, I said yes, we chatted for 15 minutes about it, and I closed the deal!). Another time while as a youngbuck, master of the universe wannabee, making a presentation in Manhattan, an older (probably younger than I am today) high powered financier pulled me aside during a break and complimented me, "your speaking style is very effective"; I thanked him, "the way you speak so slowly, forces us to listen to every word".

"the way you speak so slowly, forces us to listen to every word".

So funny.

Thanks, erc .

I figured you were good at sales.

Yep.  Some people talk so fast, they might as well be speaking another language, like English.    I have to have closed captioning on most British programs to catch everything they're saying.

There was one boy I went to school with who talked really fast.  He was the youngest of about 7 children and I suspect he had to talk fast to be heard.  His mind worked really fast, too, though.

Oh, Eb, me too (CC for british programming).  One time I was conversing with my Ozzie bro-in-law, and after the third time asking him to repeat his sentence, he turned to my sister and said, 'Would you please interpret for her? ('Udjoo plaise entorprate for 'er?)

It's much better now (my hearing has become acclimatized to Aussie speech).  And it is hilarious when he tries to speak with an American accent.  He makes American English sound so stupid.  Do we really sound that ridiculous?  Because I think they sound so cool.

I do not speak the same as I write.  I am much more eloquent and articulate with written communication.  Not much of a public speaker.

I love, love, love to mimic certain Australian and British accents.  Silly, or what?  Why is this?  I do not know.  It just pleases me.  I get on the phone with Qantas and find myself lapsing into 'Stralian.  Guess I just love the way the words sound.

pluto77,

I'm the same way with Spanish.  I think it's a beautiful language, maybe because it's the only foreign language I know even a tiny bit.  It's not really the same as mimicking, but it's kind of "exotic?" to me.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

"He had went" LMAO....now that sounds like my neighbor across the street who is from someplace near Hot Springs, Arkansas......he's famous for "I didn't not never".  I'm still looking for a translation on that phrase.

I am told that I do talk very similar to how I write, but probably let my combination of mid-western, southwest FL, NC and Texas when talking all melt together more when talking than writing.  While working I was made to give some public presentations regarding ATC and the like, oh those poor people who sat through those events, WOW......but I did have this one fella one evening come up after we were done and I was putting the laptop and stuff away, he told me even if he didn't know my name when he came into the meeting he would have figured out it was me because my emails are exactly like I spoke.  Wonder if he got into any of what jerrycoin calls his "medicine"

Adios'

I guess that would be called a triple negative.  I must say that I have never heard an Arkansan say that or anyone else for that matter.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I live in NJ and it seems to be a NY/NJ thing...people saying "so I says" when referring to a conversation in the past.

How about, like out here in like California, it's like, well you know, like... totally awesome, man (dude is now passe).

pluto77,

That sounds a bit like the remnants of the hippie movement, and maybe even the beatniks before them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...